Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved FMOD sub-system error when transferring to Mac

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by crandellbr, Aug 29, 2022.

1. crandellbr

crandellbr

There are Google results for this error, but always in a different context, such as importing AudioClips from a package. In this case, I'm transferring a copy of my project from Windows to Mac. With a handful of sounds, I get this error immediately on import:

Errors during import of AudioClip [asset path].wav:
    FSBTool ERROR: The format of the source file is invalid, see output for details.
    FSBTool ERROR: Internal error from FMOD sub-system.

This is in Unity 2020.3 LTS. The sounds cannot be previewed in the editor and do not play at runtime. Changes to import settings don't seem to do anything. On Windows I opened the files in Audacity and re-exported as .wav, then transferred again, but this didn't help either.

Oddly enough, on Mac I can overwrite the broken AudioClips with re-exports and it works. I tried to permanently solve the issue by transferring the fixed project from Mac to Windows, but transferring that copy from Windows to Mac again results in a new round of broken sounds. As a side note, Reimporting All on Mac breaks many sounds, seemingly at random.

I have that workaround, but it's tedious and I haven't tried building yet (there are other Mac-specific things I need to fix). I'm hoping for a more permanent solution.

2. The_Island

The_Island

Unity Technologies

Can you open a bug report?

3. crandellbr

crandellbr

I was prepping an example project when I noticed that compressing to a .zip suddenly solved the issue. I had been using the 7-Zip tool because the archives are smaller and easier to transfer. Also, Windows refuses to do anything when I try native compression (Send to > Compressed folder), probably because my project is too big or the file names are too long. I'm now using 7-Zip to archive as a .zip instead of a .7z.

To summarize, .7z somehow seems to corrupt the files. This was solved by switching back to .zip.

4. kingpiggyiscool

kingpiggyiscool

This still hasn't been solved, and even trying what the user replied with above, did not solve this issue. This only happens with .wav files, all mp3 formatted files are perfectly fine.

5. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

Hi!

I tried looking in Unity issue tracker to find this but it does no seem to be there. Can you open a bug report for this? It is the official way to queue an issue for a fix.

Thanks!