Search Unity

Bug FMOD returns error code 36 (FMOD_ERR_INVALID_HANDLE) executing setRelativeAudibility

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by AllenAtFortis, Dec 22, 2022.

1. AllenAtFortis

AllenAtFortis

Our project
    WebGL
    Unity 2022.1.23f1

Things were going well as we started adding audio to our project, but we recently started getting this error when we tried to call Play() on any AudioSource.

FMOD returns error code 36 (FMOD_ERR_INVALID_HANDLE) executing setRelativeAudibility

I have tried updating to Unity 2022.2.1f1, but i still get the error.
    Funny thing, when I went back to 2021.3.16f1, I stopped having that issue and everything seems fine. Is there something different in 2022 that I need to account for when using Audio in WebGL? We are currently just using mp3 files.

2. elit

elit

Up, need help too. After 3 days of test i don't have solution. This add memory and crash app after many time

WebGL
    Version 2022.2.2f1

3. melnikov0220

melnikov0220

4. Microph

Microph

up +1

still happening on WebGL
    Version 2022.2.3f1

5. VgReborn_2

VgReborn_2

up + 1

Version 2022.2.1f1
    Interestingly sometimes the bug calls, sometimes it doesn't in my case

6. Microph

Microph

up +1

still happening on WebGL
    Version 2022.2.4f1

7. Laur3nt1u

Laur3nt1u

It happens on WebGL in 2022.2.5, 2022.2.6 and 2023.1.b3, the audio is fine it's working but I just get spammed with this error in build

The game works fine in 2021.1.28 but I wanted decals and rendering layers

EDIT: It happens when you play something after an audio source was destroyed or the scene was reloaded

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  8. Noonf

Noonf

I also get this error in versions 2022.2.5, 2022.2.6 . Tried a lot of things, but the problem remains

9. AdionN

AdionN

Have anyone made bug report about this?

10. scorp2007

scorp2007

11. Suranjan_RedTailFox

Suranjan_RedTailFox

12. Aoedipus

Aoedipus

same. 2022.2.7f1 URP WebGL

In my case it always occurs on the second time played, and forever after. First time sound is called it plays as expected.

Perhaps someone from Unity's WebGL team can tell us the path to where in the codebase we can comment the offending line until there's an actual fix? I'm having a tough time locating it and would prefer not having to roll back again...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
    Noonf likes this.
  13. fwalker

fwalker

Same issue for us. Is there a bug report for this?

14. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

I find no report on the public issue tracker or in our internal backlog. I'm really sorry about this. :oops:

Some of you seem to say that it's more of an inconvenience but @elit says it's leaking memory which is a serious concern. Please you submit a bug report, the most helpful thing you can do is to provide a sample project highlight a reproduction of the issue.

Thank you all for your help!

edit: typo

15. Laur3nt1u

Laur3nt1u

I've sent a bug report last week with a small project and instructions attached CASE IN-32105

16. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

Hi @Laur3nt1u ,

Strangely I cannot find it on the public (or internal) issue tracker... Maybe it is still processing or something went wrong during the submission. Did you receive a url to track you issue that you could share?

Thanks!

17. Laur3nt1u

Laur3nt1u

SeventhString likes this.
  18. fwalker

fwalker

I tried to use the FMOD plugin to try to bypass the issue but I had no luck. It is too convoluted. I could not figure out how to use it without changing the audio listeners and the audio sources, and worst installing their Studio. :(

A temp way to comment out the error would be ideal since it does not seem to cause any issues otherwise.

19. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

It seems like there is an issue according to this reply. The bug report as been created, and we'll eventually get to it! The WebGL platform audio support is the most interesting challenge we have in my opinion. Can't wait to see how it will evolve ;)

xucian likes this.
  20. AdionN

AdionN

I also created bug report for it. IN-32364

Thank you for your hard work :) WebGL 2.0 must be hard as it is ages old code and it does have too many limitations for Unity to shine.

21. Laur3nt1u

Laur3nt1u

22. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

There you go! :cool:
    Thank you for submitting the issue and also for the follow up!

23. VOTRUBEC

VOTRUBEC

H
    Hang on, sorry, but that’s not even REMOTELY a valid response. It’s a regression, but the only solution is to upgrade to a current alpha? Am I reading that correctly and that there will be no fix for 2022.2? And what about 2022.3 (when it’ll be released)?

Unifikation and xucian like this.
  24. hMark

hMark

I agree with VOTRUBEC, this has to be fixed in 2022.2 as well.

xucian likes this.
  25. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

Hi @VOTRUBEC & @hMark ,

I hear you. I also wish we could fix everything on all the available releases. It's obviously not my call, I will make sure to report your input to the appropriate people.

Don't quote me here, but I think the reason why it's not also put in 2022 is because it's not an LTS version, and thus there is no kind of guarantee that fixes are backported. This being said, I have no idea why there is no 2022 LTS version available...

xucian likes this.
  26. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

Hi! Good news on that matter.

Poking around we figured that this was related to another internal issue, a fix deeper in FMOD for which backports should include 2022.2.

27. VOTRUBEC

VOTRUBEC

Thank you and the team for digging around. It sounds like a fix should be possible, as I'd hate to have to backport the project to 2021 just because of this one issue. I'm sure there's a few people here that would appreciate any update and news when it comes to hand. I understand the commitment to the LTS release, and I'm also curious as to when 2022 will enter LTS. But for the time being, again, thank you for your efforts.

28. moserchristian

moserchristian

Please fix this issue in 2022.1/2, as it issues thousand of error messages per minute.

29. fwalker

fwalker

Has anyone tried 2022.2.10f1 by any chance?

30. xucian

xucian

Did the fix arrive in any 2022.1/2022.2 version?
    2022.2 was unusable last time I checked, but I'd give it another try if it has the bugfix

31. therobby3

therobby3

Also having this message spammed after upgrading from 2021 to 2022. Currently running 2022.2.11. I'm not sure if it's having negative effects on the game or not, but the spammed error log surely doesn't help for tracking other bugs.

I def don't want to upgrade to 2023 since it's in alpha, so a real fix for 2022 would surely be nice.

bradshep and xucian like this.
  32. AndrewAlexArt

AndrewAlexArt

Same bug in 2022.2.12f1. One of the solutions do not use Unity AudioSource and switch it to FMOD because looks like Unity used very old FMOD technology.

33. cybernetsurfer7

cybernetsurfer7

Thanks to you and your team for looking into this. Is there a bug report posted somewhere that we could track the progress on this? Will this one be updated with the new fix or is there another place to track: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...e-scene-reload-or-an-audiosource-is-destroyed

Thanks again.

34. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

I got this. Backports are probably already in progress. Sadly I can't provide any version or ETA regarding the fix delivery :(

35. cybernetsurfer7

cybernetsurfer7

@SeventhString Thanks for the update that they're likely in progress. Would you be able to post an update when there is any news? I and I'm sure others are watching this thread.

36. therobby3

therobby3

In patch notes for 2022.2.13 it says this:
    • WebGL: Fixed FMOD console errors when a scene is reloaded. (UUM-19241)
    I'm assuming this may have been fixed in 2022 then. I'll have to test to see for sure.

37. cybernetsurfer7

cybernetsurfer7

@therobby3 Thank you so much for catching this! I upgraded to the new version and gave it a shot. Looks like the endless FMOD errors have ceased! And thank you @SeventhString for getting this on the dev's radar.

38. CheekyJoy

CheekyJoy

Unity 2022.2.13f1 still look like:

Attached Files:

39. CheekyJoy

CheekyJoy

solve this problem using DontDestroyOnload on my audiosources

40. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hello,

How did you set this? In code?

Thanks,
    crafTDev

41. CheekyJoy

CheekyJoy

42. CheekyJoy

CheekyJoy

Problem come back

43. radiantboy

radiantboy

I am seeing this too is it fixed anywhere?

44. Laur3nt1u

Laur3nt1u

I've been stuck on 2021.1.28 every new version has a different audio problem not even 2021.3 LTS is good

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  45. Unifikation

Unifikation

the attitude towards a regression must be that it gets fixed. It can't be that a regression force version changes. This is irresponsible in the extreme. Users are stuck to big point versions for LOTS of reasons, almost all Unity caused, in that going up a year see dozens or even hundreds of other regressions.

In WebGL world, the iteration time is far faster for game makers, they're often running live games and using WebGL precisely because they can iterate over live game updates with far more ease than the submission processes of other platforms, etc.

It's interesting that you say this:

Are you perhaps aware of ways that you could eventually offer OnAudioFilterRead to WebGL users?

No platform is more fittingly suited to the kinds of optimisations possible with this feature of default Unity Audio, which works on ALL other platforms, just not WebGL, where it's most needed.

46. SeventhString

SeventhString

Unity Technologies

I hear you. I am painfully aware of Unity's shortcomings regarding audio and the web platform. I've been in sound and games for a while, and since I joined the company a few months ago, I've been vocal about how this platform is important (as I personally believe it's where the future lies!).

The case of audio on the web for Unity is a rough one. It's the only platform that cannot leverage our audio engine because of multithreading issues, so it's basically a pile of shim between WebAudio and the engine's interface. Now what's interesting is that WebAssembly has made interesting steps around concurrency, so I hope that one day we'll be able to make a case for finally unifying our audio backend on all platforms by porting it to the web.

That would fix a lot the the audio discrepancies we're talking about here.

47. Unifikation

Unifikation

It might be best to think of WebGL as a unique platform, and not try to shoehorn everything into it, and even have a separate license for it, especially now that Project Tiny is a distant memory.

48. Unifikation

Unifikation

It's where a very large future lays, now that VR has finally played itself out and revealed itself to be a novelty for a long time to come.

In terms of ad games and dynamic, engaging experiences that are truly portable, nothing beats WebGL and Unity could and should have the ultimate foothold into it. I wish you all the best with convincing the management that WebGL is special... because it is. They don't seem to see how uniquely special it is, nor how they could build a pared down editor just to target it, and only it, as those working/aiming at WebGL aren't going to be expecting to easily port to other platforms, and vice versa.

WebGL is unlike all other platforms in that it's an end unto itself.

49. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

Just switched from 2021.3.25 to 2022.2.19 and will probably have to go back to 2021 because of this. Bizarre that they only fixed it in Alpha version.

50. therobby3

therobby3

Yea, not sure what's going on. I don't know if it was fixed in a version then came back, or what. But I'm still getting spammed with this error again in version 2022.2.19. Error is as follows:

./Modules/Audio/Public/AudioSource.cpp(1574) : Error executing dspHead->setRelativeAudibility(relativeAudibility) (An invalid object handle was used. )

avsanwork likes this.