Search Unity

Audio FMOD failed to initialize

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by LawrenceDev, Dec 24, 2018.

1. LawrenceDev

LawrenceDev

Hello everyone, my audio doesn't work and I get these errors in the command line:
    FMOD failed to initialize. This may be because your sound card is configured to give applications exclusive access, thus preventing Unity from using this device. You can change this in Control Panel > Audio Devices and Sound Themes > Playback Device > Properties > Options ... : "Soundcard does not support the minimum features needed for this soundsystem (16bit stereo output). " (59)

and

Forced to initialize FMOD to to the device driver's system output rate 48000, this may impact performance and/or give inconsistent experiences compared to selected sample rate 48000

These are my audio settings (excuse me for the dutch text):

2. LawrenceDev

LawrenceDev

3. May I ask you to stop spamming the forum? If someone has anything to add to the situation, will write you an answer. In the mean time try the FMod support, they may have anything to add. This isn't a Unity problem anyway.

4. LawrenceDev

LawrenceDev

I'm not really spamming, but OK.

5. LawrenceDev

LawrenceDev

For anyone wondering, I fixed this problem by disabling all NAHIMIC processes in task manager.

6. nlv22

nlv22

This is from a while ago, but it still helps. Thanks Laurens! I had a similar problem but with Aliensware's middleman software which I disabled.

kmeboe likes this.
  7. LawrenceDev

LawrenceDev

No problem ;)

8. rkatos

rkatos

Thanks, I did the same for the Nahimic and it worked for me!

9. yoinkmyyeet

yoinkmyyeet

I love you so much it fixed rust for me HELL YEAH IT WORKS!!!!

10. Leshaun

Leshaun

Oh THANK YOU! This was screwing up all kinds of programs I was running, awesome!

11. takoss123

takoss123

I have the exact same problem however your solution doesn't work because I don't have any Nahimic processes at all. I am wondering if there is any other way to fix this. Thanks in advance.

VolcanicMG likes this.
  12. unity_XN5Bzzw0l9_csA

unity_XN5Bzzw0l9_csA

hello i have the same problem but i don t know how to fix it im on alienware

13. LawrenceDev

LawrenceDev

Go to task manager > processes
    Then close the Alienware Audio software (if that exists)

kmeboe likes this.
  14. ferretnt

ferretnt

I've been experiencing the same thing on my primary windows dev machine (Alienware 15 R3) since updating Alienware Drivers earlier this year (which I think I did because Beat Saber stopped working at some point because SteamVR is a shonky pile of piles of stuff on top of piles of stuff) and none my various googlings for "Alienware Unity FMOD blah blah" helped.

Although many posts point fingers at uninstalling Nahimic, that's not helpful if you haven't installed it (and in fact, I keep my dev laptop as clean as possible.)

The correct solution if you're running a reference-ish AW build is to disable AlienWare sound Centre completely. There's no UI to do this because it's built into the driver installer and launched on startup, so you'll have to use autoruns for it. Some screenshots and links below. (Side note: Autoruns is generally awesome for keeping your PC from having assorted crap running on startup. I'd forgotten about it.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/6hz6sl/alienware_sound_center_bug/dj3q3h3/

You may also have to disable "Exclusive Mode" on the sound card (as the error message suggests.) I'd done that weeks ago.

You can PROBABLY also fix it by downloading the "official" (and I use that word in the loosest possible terms...) Realtek reference drivers, but I couldn't even figure out what exact link to get them from. This may or may not be correct, but if you only speak English you'll need Google Translate to try to do better...

https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software

15. Aldir_21

Aldir_21

alienware is not in my task manager, I've tried updating the sound driver and updating the unity to the latest version but still can't fix it, is there another solution?

16. ferretnt

ferretnt

Yes, in the answer I posted above.

17. The_infern0

The_infern0

old thread but this fixed SO MANY problems I was having, we need to spread this news from across the rooftops!

18. Sharpthorne

Sharpthorne

Copied this from another forum. It fixed my issue:
    This is possibly an issue with the AudioSrv service in Windows. Go to the TaskManager. Go to the Services tab. Find 'AudioSrv' in the list, right click and Restart it. Then restart Unity. Should fix it.

Leonbailong likes this.
  19. Kademlia85

Kademlia85

i did two things and i don't know which one exactly helped with this as i had multiple warnings on launch.

option 1) is what's listed above, restarting 'AudioSrv' in TaskManager

the second one is a problem i've always experienced with unity or games done in unity; which is a problem with windows security.

right click unity launcher and select properties
    go to compatibility, and click change settings for all users
    in the bottom there is:
    "Run this program as an administrator"

with both of those done, i now have no errors running unity. this same thing works on all the games that i've ever had sound problems with and are made with unity.

basically that's a generic fix for audio problems on anything, i first experienced this with windows 10 coming out, and that's always been my regular fix.

about 80% of the time this fixes it, the problems with "game running but no audio" problem. the last 20% is that the game has a launcher which runs the actual game which then doesn't have the right use audio devices, which you fix the same way but you have to go to the game folder and do this on the actual AwesomeGame.exe.

alexandr1x likes this.
  20. totinxu

totinxu

Thanks, worked it !!! I use a MSI with Nahimic.

21. Sicinsions

Sicinsions

Thanks a lot, worked for me as well!

22. kmeboe

kmeboe

Every once in a while, Unity would crash for me, then silently fail to load my project until I rebooted. Your work-around (killing Alienware sound center processes) fixes it without a reboot, saving time and annoyance. Thank you!!!

23. yukeraw

yukeraw

bro you saved mi life, i have this problem like 4 weeks and i was really tired of this

24. GeorgieG

GeorgieG

Thanks Guys worked for me in theory, if you have a ROG - it is the sonic studio 3 that needs to be disabled.

25. hekalakbar17

hekalakbar17

how to disable sonic studio 3

26. dogtaguk

dogtaguk

Fixed it for me as well, another MSI user with NAHIMIC - simply exiting it sorted the issue.

27. mathi4975

mathi4975

Hi, I have managed to resolve it by disabling sonic studio 3 in Task manager -> Startup->Sonic Studio 3 (right click and select disable). I am using ROG laptop. Thanks alot for all the advices.

28. lloydnewbie

lloydnewbie

Thanks, worked for me!

29. mrmac479

mrmac479

It's 2022 and this thread is still solving issues. Thanks for the post.

LawrenceDev likes this.
  30. dahveed1825

dahveed1825

I have an MSI gaming laptop, was getting the same error. Easiest fix for me was:

Control Panel > Manage audio devices > speakers > properties > advanced > default format (set to 16 bit, 48000 Hz).

Error disappeared, everything else above that I tried didn't work but this did. Hope it helps!

31. Bhrobinson75

Bhrobinson75

I'm getting this issue on Macbook Pro - none of the above solutions seem to work/be relevant to mac.. any insights?