Search Unity

FMOD error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by shawnpigott, Apr 8, 2011.

1. shawnpigott

shawnpigott

I've been happily developing for the last month or so and all of the sudden I'm getting the following error.

FMOD failed to initialize default device...(Error initializing output device. )
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()

I'm a little perplexed given that the last time it happened I only had one audio source in the scene playing a 1 min and 36 sec mp3. I'm developing for the iPad on a newer iMac. When it happens I lose all audio in Unity. It doesn't crash Unity but I need to restart to get the audio back. The app seems to build properly and then plays fine on the iPad.

Any thoughts, suggestions or info?

2. andeeeee

andeeeee

This has been reported several times and appears to happen sometimes when an external audio device (like a headset, say) is used. This would probably explain why the audio is OK on the iPad since the output options are constrained. Are you using any such device during development or is this happening with the built-in audio on the iMac?

3. shawnpigott

shawnpigott

I was just about to say that I wasn't using anything but, now that I think about it, I could have had my MOTU audio interface on as I have been writing music for the app. That would also explain why I have had a hard time recreating the problem.

If that's all it is, I'm happy.

Thank you.

4. jmpp

jmpp

I just saw this same error with Unity 3.4.2 and it happened precisely upon plugging my headphones into my Mac (to keep my coworkers from going crazy with my loud and apparently too long Led Zeppelin sessions ;). I'd never seen it before, even though it's not the first time I use Unity with my headphones on. Does this affect game audio in any way?

Thanks for the info! Regards,

- jmpp

PS: Just realized the OP assured it doesn't. I'll report if I see any more permanent-than-a-restart problems.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  5. sathya

sathya

@andeeeee
    I am facing the same issue of WP8 build as well. Only way i found to fix this issue is by resetting the phone to factory defaults. When this issue occurs whole device audio gets corrupted and fails to play al types of media.
    Once you reset the device and install my app agin, it kills device sound again. How can i fix this issue.
    Error :"FMOD failed to initialize ... Error initializing output device. "