Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

FlyingText3D - Real dynamic 3D text from TrueType fonts

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Eric5h5, Jun 11, 2012.

1. gecko

gecko

Sure, I have a font in there -- it's the same GO with the FlyingText script on it that I've been using for awhile. But I removed the font and added it back...and it works! Duh. Thanks!

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

If you're upgrading from a previous version, it may be worth removing the editor script and re-adding it.

--Eric

3. gecko

gecko

I was having some other troubles (3D text wasn't UVd so couldn't be lightmapped), so I deleted all the FlyingText files as you suggested. And now when I try to import the latest version from the Asset Store, Unity crashes. It's happened several times, even after I restart the computer. The crash happens after the import loading bar is done. Any suggestions?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

What version of Unity are you using? I tried importing from the asset store using Unity 3.5 and 4.1 and there weren't any crashes.

--Eric

5. gecko

gecko

I'm using 4.1.5, but I'm not saying it's a global problem -- I figure there's something in my project that is conflicting with a new import of FT3D. I've deleted every file from FT3D, so the list of files to import has NEW on each and every one, but it still crashes. Any suggestions?

So it finally occurred to me to try FT3D after the crash and restart....and it works! Weird. But i'm back in business.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I don't know why it would crash; I guess that's a Unity bug. Since it seems to be reproducible on your end it might be a good idea to bug report it.

--Eric

7. MH1

MH1

I recently bought it, but when I play it even on the demos nothing comes up. Is there something I'm missing?

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Possibly, though I'd need more to go on. Are there errors?

--Eric

9. MH1

MH1

I tried it on the latest version of Unity and it worked. On 3.5.2 it does not work even though the FlyingText3D documentation says that it requires Unity 3.5 or later.

The error is: MissingMethodExeption: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.Mesh.set_colors32".

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Use 3.5.7 (or, technically, 3.5.5, since that's when Mesh.colors32 was introduced, but typically "3.5" refers to 3.5.7, since that's the last version of 3.5 released and what you'd normally be using if you have 3.5, since it contains many bugfixes compared to 3.5.2).

--Eric

11. MH1

MH1

I did that and it worked - thanks. If I make the word a game object is there any way to change the word in a c# script?

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I'd recommend the UpdateObject command; see page 20 in the docs.

--Eric

13. valyard

valyard

Unity Technologies

Hi.

I'm getting all spaces changed to "/" o_O
    Running on Windows, tested with standard Arial Black font, Unity 4.2.

This is what it creates for "HiBllTool Bla".
    $520df77f2cdca4a4867ff4d7.png

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Here's what I get with Arial Black:

What you have doesn't actually look like Arial Black though. Does it happen with other fonts? Are you saving your script using UTF-16?

--Eric

15. valyard

valyard

Unity Technologies

Sorry, this is obviously wasn't Arial Black.
    I might have forgotten to switch fonts.

The font in question was Din Display Pro Black.

What's interesting is that I also noticed that in numbers like 1999 starting from 1 it leaves big gap after "1" which I would like to reduce. So I changed the font making kerning after "1" a bit less. And this new modified font now works fine with spaces.

Oiriginal and modified fonts.
    $520e5a212cdca4a486801f16.png

Tested some other fonts. Most work fine but MyriadWebPro got spaces replaced with "À".

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Sounds like the font was a bit corrupted. It may be that some apps that work with TrueType fonts are more tolerant of faults than FlyingText3D.

--Eric

17. valyard

valyard

Unity Technologies

The guy who changed the font reducing measures of some characters used Fontographer and saved it as "OpenType TT / Windows TrueType" with these options:
    $Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 14.16.29.png
    $Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 14.16.33.png

This also fixed the problem with adding "/"'s.
    Just if someone stumbles upon this problem again.

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Good to know, thanks!

--Eric

19. zFerz

zFerz

Hello!
    I've bought FlyingText3D and at first everything was great, but now I get strange error :
    "FlyingText hasn't been initialized yet...use script execution order to make sure your Awake functions run first, or use Start"
    But I call FlyingText every second in coroutine:

Code (csharp):
    1. IEnumerator TimerCoroutine()
    2.     {
    3.         while (true)
    4.         {
    5.             try
    6.             {
    7.                 if (timeText != null)
    8.                 {
    9.                     Destroy(timeText);
    10.                 }
    11.                 GameObject newTimeText = FlyingText.GetObjects((Time.realtimeSinceStartup - startTime).ToString("f0"));
    12.                 if (newTimeText != null)
    13.                 {
    14.                     newTimeText.transform.parent = transform;
    15.                     newTimeText.transform.position = transform.position;
    16.                     newTimeText.transform.rotation = transform.rotation;
    17.                     newTimeText.transform.localScale = Vector3.one * 0.7f;
    18.                     timeText = newTimeText;
    19.                 }                
    20.             }
    21.             catch (Exception e)
    22.             {
    23.                 Debug.LogError(e.Message+" trace="+e.StackTrace);
    24.             }
    25.             yield return new WaitForSeconds(1f);
    26.         }
    27.     }
    This code starts to work after spawning prefab that contains FlyingText script and custom script that call for FlyingText.GetObjects() too.
    What am I doing wrong? How much FlyingText script instances shoud exist at the same time?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  20. zFerz

zFerz

I've imported sources of FlyingText into the project and it looks like only one instance is needed. Whed I removed all extra instances of FlyingText everyting starts to wort again.

21. kunstar

kunstar

Hi,
    thanks for making this great tool, but I have a little problem with defaultJustification in my code

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using FlyingText3D;
    6. public class Text3DTest : MonoBehaviour {
    9.     // Use this for initialization
    10.     void Start () {
    12.         string text = "text";
    14.         FlyingText.defaultJustification = Justify.Center;
    16.             FlyingText.GetObject(text,FlyingText.defaultMaterial,FlyingText.defaultEdgeMaterial,
    17.                 FlyingText.defaultSize,FlyingText.defaultDepth,FlyingText.defaultResolution,FlyingText.defaultLetterSpacing,1.2f,
    18.                 FlyingText.defaultLineWidth, Vector3.zero, Quaternion.identity);
    19.     }
    21.     // Update is called once per frame
    22.     void Update () {
    24.     }
    26.     void OnGUI(){
    28.     }
    29. }

Error:
    ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    Parameter name: index
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Single].get_Item (Int32 index) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/3df08680c6f85295/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633)
    FlyingText.GetObject (System.String s, UnityEngine.Material material, UnityEngine.Material edgeMaterial, Single size, Single extrudeDepth, Int32 resolution, Single characterSpacing, Single lineSpacing, Single lineWidth, Boolean prime, Boolean separateObjects, Boolean useObjectsArray, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation, UnityEngine.GameObject gObject)
    FlyingText.GetObject (System.String text, UnityEngine.Material material, UnityEngine.Material edgeMaterial, Single size, Single extrudeDepth, Int32 resolution, Single characterSpacing, Single lineSpacing, Single lineWidth, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation)
    Text3DTest.Start () (at Assets/Scripts/Text3DTest.cs:21)

Thanks for your reply!

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

What version are you using? That's fixed in 2.0.2. (Although I should point out that the justification settings won't do anything with one line of text, since there's nothing to justify to in that case. You may be looking for the anchor setting instead.)

--Eric

23. kunstar

kunstar

using 2.0.1. version

Thanks

24. njohn

njohn

Hi, first of all. Great tool, with clear documentation.

This is not an issue for me, but I'm noticing the following build warnings. I'm using Unity 4.3.3f1

Assets/Editor/FlyingTextInspector.js(27,34): BCW0012: WARNING: 'UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.LookLikeControls(float)' is obsolete. LookLikeControls and LookLikeInspector modes are deprecated. Use EditorGUIUtility.labelWidth and EditorGUIUtility.fieldWidth to control label and field widths.

Assets/Editor/FlyingTextInspector.js(70,34): BCW0012: WARNING: 'UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.LookLikeControls(float)' is obsolete. LookLikeControls and LookLikeInspector modes are deprecated. Use EditorGUIUtility.labelWidth and EditorGUIUtility.fieldWidth to control label and field widths.

Assets/Editor/FlyingTextInspector.js(142,34): BCW0012: WARNING: 'UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.LookLikeControls(float)' is obsolete. LookLikeControls and LookLikeInspector modes are deprecated. Use EditorGUIUtility.labelWidth and EditorGUIUtility.fieldWidth to control label and field widths.

Assets/Editor/FlyingTextInspector.js(155,30): BCW0012: WARNING: 'UnityEditor.Undo.RegisterSceneUndo(String)' is obsolete. Use DestroyObjectImmediate, RegisterCreatedObjectUndo or RegisterUndo instead.

Assets/Editor/FlyingTextInspector.js(170,34): BCW0012: WARNING: 'UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.LookLikeControls(float)' is obsolete. LookLikeControls and LookLikeInspector modes are deprecated. Use EditorGUIUtility.labelWidth and EditorGUIUtility.fieldWidth to control label and field widths.

25. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

What I am trying to do is be able to download the font using a www, but it doesnt work unless its in the editor because its requiring it to be in the resource folder but its not saving it to the correct folder otherwise.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  26. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

There is no Resources folder in a build...assets are compiled into a .assets files, and are not available as individual files. If you want to use Resources.Load then the assets need to be built into the project.

@njohn: yes, the next version will remove the warnings, though they have no actual effect on how it works. (For now.)

--Eric

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

And 2.0.3 is out, which removes the warnings.

--Eric

28. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Just a note that even though the version on the Asset Store claims to be 2.0.3, it's still the old version. I'm not sure why that happened, but I uploaded 2.0.3 again, so hopefully it will take this time.

--Eric

29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

And it did...2.0.3 is available on the asset store for real this time.

--Eric

30. Cameron860

Cameron860

Does this support beveling yet?

31. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Not yet, sorry.

--Eric

32. made-on-jupiter

made-on-jupiter

Hi Eric,

just checking before I purchase: text can be created dynamically in the WebPlayer runtime, yeah? There are some methods in System.Text and Globalization that won't work in WebPlayer.

33. Rinoa_Heartilly

Rinoa_Heartilly

so cool xD can you add more feature like we can have outline stroke - border for the text? users can use that to make really cool game titles :D

34. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yes, it works fine in the webplayer.

Having borders is more something that you'd use for bitmap fonts; I'm not sure how that would work for 3D models, unless you use a toon shader maybe.

--Eric

35. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

New version:

FlyingText3D 2.1

Changes:
    • More accurate character placement. Note that this may change character spacing a little compared to earlier versions.

Fixes:
    • Fixed inspector to work properly with Unity 4.0-4.2.
    • Character settings foldout works.
    • Fixed glitch in rendering for certain fonts where curves are constructed in a less-common way.

--Eric

36. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

A small update:

FlyingText3D 2.1.1

Fixes:
    • The fixed rendering glitch in 2.1 wasn't actually correct in all cases, so now that's fixed.

Should be available on the asset store in a few days as usual.

--Eric

37. Pratap-Dafedar

Pratap-Dafedar

Hi StarSceneSoftware,

I have gone through your FlyingText3D unity package and I really like the features and looks. So I have decided to buy it.

- Is this package support all Unicode languages and generates text with dynamic fonts like ttf, rtf.
    - Can i get full source-code access with your plugin to modify and to adjust as per my need.
    - How is the performance on iOS, Since i need to generate text dynamically, just like textfield.

Even if you suggest some work-arounds to accomplish my requirement, then I can do it from my side.

Thank you.

- Pratap.

38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It works with TTF only, and all Unicode characters are supported as long as the font uses an encoding method that's supported (almost all do). The source is included. It works well and quite fast on iOS.

--Eric

39. RodL

RodL

Hi Eric,
    I am using FlyingText3D and I'm pretty happy with it.
    Except for one issue I'm having when using two FT-Inspectors in different scenes. In the second scene I'm loading the GetObject seems to use the settings from the first Inspector loaded (Also, the FlyingText Script has been removed and a new GO added with the old FT Script on it)
    Is this behaviour intended? I'm wondering whether it would be more logical to not replace existing Inspectors and only keep the old one if there is none in the new scene.
    Just pointing it out. I could of course just manually replace the settings in code (which is still a pain ;) )
    Thanks for the great work!

Cheers

40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That's a good point; it's currently not really intended to have different FlyingText inspectors in different scenes, so the settings from the first one are the "real" settings and are kept from one scene to another. I could add something like a "LoadSettingsFromCurrentInspector" function, which would save having to change all the settings in code.

--Eric

41. XeviaN360

XeviaN360

Hi, i was using your plugin since last two weeks.
    Now it stopped to work, i don't know if is an issue with Unity 4.5.3.p3 or with my project.
    Problem is when i drag a true type font (for instance COMIC.TTF) to the "Convert .ttf to .bytes utility" textbox and click "Convert" button, nothing happens: the bytes file is not generated anymore.
    Any advice?
    Thank you

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work since all it's doing is renaming the .ttf to .bytes. You can do that manually if necessary.

--Eric

43. XeviaN360

XeviaN360

Thank you, great!
    Btw, i just figured it out. My TTF has the extension (.TTF) in uppercase. If i rename the file to lowercase extesion, it works ;)

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Thanks for letting me know...I fixed that for the next version.

--Eric

45. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Version 2.1.2 is out, which addresses the TXT/txt thing as well as Unity 5 compatibility.

--Eric

HansBernd likes this.
  46. fastfoodi

fastfoodi

What he said^! :)

Great plugin just the same, though. Thoroughly surprised this isn't a default Unity feature.

47. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

New version:

FlyingText3D 2.2

Additions:
    • "Compute Tangents" option, for materials that require tangents (such as bump mapping).

Fixes:
    • Vertical text formatting doesn't gradually offset the horizontal letter position.

--Eric

48. OOLE

OOLE

Hi Eric,
    does this plugin support the WebGL platform and work in the 64-bit editor? I ask, because i had issues with another 3d text plugin.

49. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Yep, it's fine. It's plain C# so it doesn't have issues like external native code plugins do. (The only issue is on WP8, since that uses .NET rather than Mono, is missing certain functionality, and I wasn't able to find out what the replacement should be.)

--Eric

50. OOLE

OOLE

Cool thx for the info and this nice asset :)