Search Unity

Flux: an unity version of a classic screensaver

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by solehome, Jul 29, 2010.

1. solehome

solehome

I made an Unity version of a beautiful screen saver Flux from Really Slick Screensavers (http://www.reallyslick.com).

It is not game. It will show you a lot of colorful particles animated by csharp scripts.

Known Issues:
    1)The "float cameraAngle" should not be a local variable of FluxApp::Update(). It should be a private member variable of class FluxApp, or the particles cannot be rotated properly.
    2)In FluxApp::Start(), if we give the random number generator a new kind of seed, e.g.
    System.DateTime t = System.DateTime.Now;
    UnityEngine.Random.seed = t.Month + t.Day + t.Minute + t.Second;
    Maybe the scene will be more interesting.

Attached Files:

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Pretty neat, you can never have too many colorful dots! :)

3. mikesgames

mikesgames

colours....

Nah, just joking. Nice one dude!

4. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I think the Mac version of this uses point sprites in OpenGL, which is why it's probably faster and with more dots? But yours looks pretty good too :) Are you turning it into a real screensaver?

5. solehome

solehome

It is said that Unity Pro can access the low level rendering commands which may let us draw points instead of alpah textured quad-mesh. But I havn't tried. It's the logics govern the particles movement that realy interest me. After porting the original c++ code to Unity, I am clearer about the logics and satisfied with the Unity's rendering and scripting performance.

Thanx for your comments.

6. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Yah it looks pretty cool, and interesting. I don't think Unity has point sprites but yours seems pretty smooth anyway.

7. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

On OSX I combined this with the Wiki screensaver framework for Mac, and it works pretty well :)

8. solehome

solehome

NICE :D

9. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I have it as my current screensaver, actually.

One thing I notice about the wiki screensaver though is that because it uses the webplayer, it is capped at 25fps, and within a screensaver you can't click the mouse to get focus and increased speed without stopping the saver. Oh well, but it looks good.

I'm working on a screensaver framework at the moment for Windows and Mac, which is why this caught my eye.