Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Flush/delete all

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by hippocoder, Nov 22, 2016.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Is there an option to completely remove all files so we can allocate a fresh working area without any history? If not, why not?

If the concern is to make people spend more on hosting files they no longer need, then that's just illogical and the desired monetization scheme should be a better design. Ultimately, we will need to remove our property from your servers from time to time while still using your services.

2. andyk-unity

andyk-unity

Hi @hippocoder !

So it seems like there are two things here, let me see if I've got it understood.

1) Clearing out history.
    2) Clearing out old files to open storage.

For 2, we've got a solution. If you navigate to your project on the developer dashboard, then collaborate, there's a tab called "Manage Storage." From there you can archive any of your old commits and clear out your storage space.

For 1, I'm not quite sure I understand the purpose, could you expand a bit more? I think "fresh working area" is the phrase that is throwing me off.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But what if I do not want to archive the materials on your server. What if I just want to remove it? or remove the archives.

The problem here is that those files belong to me, that you're hosting. Therefore archiving isn't remotely enough control and is 100% a deal breaker.

Again, if you're archiving in order to keep people using space, you've got a terrible business model that needs fixing. If that is the issue, openly charge a fee to reset storage (which we have no problem with).

4. andyk-unity

andyk-unity

@hippocoder

Totally understand your concern now, sorry for me not getting it in the first place. It’s a manual process right now and functionality we plan to expose early next year. It's important for us to have this feature available before we leave beta. If you would like us to remove your data, could you send an email to collabsupport@unity3d.com with your project information and we can start the process?

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No, I don't require removing it, I wanted to enquire if it'd be part of the service as one day we would want to remove it or parts of :)

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Unless I'm mistaken, archived files do not count against your allocated storage. (right?)

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's still not the point though, it's just necessary for people to be able to remove their IP at will from servers they don't own (we don't need to do this right now or for a long time). For example selling an IP.

AcidArrow likes this.
  8. andyk-unity

andyk-unity

This is correct! Once you archive it no longer goes towards your storage.

9. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

I agree with this.