Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Flowchat: Is this design easiest on Unreal or Unity?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by JeppeTarp, Jan 23, 2019.

1. JeppeTarp

JeppeTarp

Hi,

I'm developing a game, currently working on it in Unreal and it's almost fully functioning, but it took some serious trial and error due to Visual Scripting. Thus I'm considering the move to Unity, due to Playmaker (which I haven't tested out).

I have a simple flowchart / state machine here to describe the basis of the attack function, which we all know is the back-n-bone of a game. The game is a top-down survival game with guns/melee weapons. In contrast to most other games the controls are quite simple (because it's a mobile), so the attack button will have an auto aim and auto move within range feature (see attach file). Is this easily done in Playmaker? I will off course get into learning C# if I do the move.

Do you think it would be faster/easier to move to Unity and start learning C# & Playmaker?

Thank you in advance for the responses :)

Attached Files:

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Honestly dump the visual scripting. Just use straight C#. It won't take you long to learn to do everything you need for this setup.

Visual scripting is useful for designers that need to work at high level. Its not so useful to implement low level logic.

3. JeppeTarp

JeppeTarp

Alright. Where would I start. Any tutorials you can recommend?

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I agree. Visual scripting is probably best kept to a few very specific use cases where it shines, not as the general scripting language of the majority of the project.

I'd start with C# tutorials completely unrelated to Unity. Then when you have a grasp of the basics of the C# language and syntax, then jump into Unity tutorials themselves. I'm sure there are plenty of C# tutorials on YouTube, or in text form all over the interwebs.

Sorry I don't have any specific recommendations for C# tutorials, because I learned C# back when people would literally cut down trees on mass, slice up their carcasses, bind those slices together, and then use a dye to basically tattoo words all over the corpse. To learn anything you actually had to buy one of these abominations from physical stores with walls and everything, that sold them by the thousands. It was a dark time. Fortunately people today have probably never even heard of this practice.

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I remember those days. So barbaric.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

My only regret is that we did not kill more trees!

Joking. I had nothing to do with computers or learning in the dinosaur days. I was busy shooting small rocks rocks with big guns. Apparently that is something that needs to be done.

here's a link to some tutorials from microsoft that helped me a lot. I believe they are free, if not it was really cheap.
    https://mva.microsoft.com/en-us/tra...solute-beginners-16169?l=Lvld4EQIC_2706218949

Joe-Censored and Ryiah like this.