Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

FlowCanvas - Visual Scripting Similar to Unreal Blueprints

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nuverian, Apr 14, 2015.

1. nuverian

nuverian

Hey, Yes, the upcoming v3 fully supports this mode.

Bastienre4 likes this.
  2. TextusGames

TextusGames

Hello.
    Will it be possible for graph to have function to be defined as like in it own bound graph with its own inputs, outputs and local variables. Like Unreal does it?

3. TextusGames

TextusGames

Also I found a severe refactoring problem.

If you have extract class node in graph with some variable connected to another node, and than you decide to rename that variable in your c# script and switch back to unity, the connection of extracted variable will be silently lost!

And if you rename variable back in c# what will not regain the connection and your project will become potentially very silently buggy.

If you access variable directly in graph it will create red orphan connection after renaming it in c#, which gives errors on play to let us know it exists. And if you rename variable back it will be working as expected.

This should be done for extracted variables as well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  4. nuverian

nuverian

Hello. Right now you can have Macros with their own inputs, outputs and local variables, but not bound.
    Bound macros and possibly functions, is something that I will look at after v3.0 is released however.

All this is already fixed for v3.0 and connections are no longer removed automatically ever. Missing connection ports and possibly invalid casts (which can result in very rare cases), are now shown with respective UI as well as validation logs in the Graph Console that point to the error node/connection on click, prompting for a fix. For example:
    MissingPortRelink.gif

On top of that, there is now also a brand new Graph Refactor window, which lets you batch refactor potential missing nodes, or reflection based "references" to methods, properties, fields, types etc.

Innocent-Dev and TextusGames like this.
  5. nuverian

nuverian

The Graph Refactor window in action. Refactor.gif

Innocent-Dev likes this.
  6. TextusGames

TextusGames

I guess it does not handle Refactoring of all project. Is mass project refactoring planned?

7. nuverian

nuverian

Well, one step at a time :). Let's consider that (to my knowledge) no other visual scripting tool for unity even have a refactoring feature. Alas, probably none even have the serialization recovery feature that's been in FlowCanvas (and NodeCanvas) since day one. With that said, project-wise recovery could be done for assets graphs with ease, but bound graphs can't be discovered that easily since they live in scenes. I can certainly work more on that after release.

8. esteban16108

esteban16108

@nuverian Hi, is there a way to make the Log window persist the logs as in the Unity log window? When I stop the game the logs get cleared.

9. nuverian

nuverian

Hello and happy new year!
    Currently no, but I can add such an option for sure :)

esteban16108 likes this.
  10. nuverian

nuverian

TextusGames likes this.
  11. MOhi

MOhi

hi @nuverian thanks for the great asset and the updates in v3

we have just upgraded to the new version with deleting the old folder and importing the new one , when generating the AOT class we are getting lots of errors in it similar to this
    "'AOTDummy.NodeCanvas_Framework_ExposedParameter_System_Int32': cannot derive from sealed type 'ExposedParameter<int>'"

there are like 20 of them between flow and node canvas all in the "AOTClasses.cs". we are using ILCPP window , .Net 4x and using unity 2019.3.0f3

Thanks

12. nuverian

nuverian

Hello :)
    Indeed. This has already been fixed and the new version (with the fix) is already live on the asset store (v3.0.1f).

MOhi likes this.
  13. nuverian

nuverian

Bastienre4 and _met44 like this.
  14. James26769

James26769

Hi!
    I'm wondering if it's possible to get what I would make in Flow Canvas into a C# script so I can learn how what I'm doing can translate into actual code.
    Thank you!

15. Redtail87

Redtail87

Hey @nuverian, have you had a chance to look at adding bound macros, would be an awesome feature.

Thanks.

16. nooxouille

nooxouille

Hello there!

On 2019.3.13, WebGL build, I am getting a console error in my browser (Firefox latest) :

[EDIT] Alright, problem has been solved thx to reply #815

+ if anyone can help me on this one, that would be very appreciated :D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
unityunity