Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

FlowCanvas - Visual Scripting Similar to Unreal Blueprints

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nuverian, Apr 14, 2015.

1. GamerPET

GamerPET

It seems that a new FlowCanvas version is out! YAAAAY!

Thanks Nuv!

nuverian likes this.
  2. webtastic

webtastic

Probably a stupid question but just to be clear - reflection based nodes, is that the ones that can be generated for other assets like core gamekit?

3. NeonTanto

NeonTanto

Its all nodes under "reflection" category. Right now on AOT platform this is slow nodes, but I think that @nuverian work on this problem =)

nuverian and webtastic like this.
  4. webtastic

webtastic

Under functions->reflected? That's most of the nodes then?

So what can i do to minimise the use of those nodes?

I'm just trying to learn the do's and don't's of this great asset

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  5. nuverian

nuverian

Hey,

The use of the reflection nodes right now will only impose a performance hit if used in AOT platforms like iOS, and only if used per-frame.

Even with that said, you don't have to worry about using them even in such a manner, because just like @mf_andreich said above and with his help, this performance hit will be removed even for AOT platforms in a soon to come update!

NeonTanto and webtastic like this.
  6. webtastic

webtastic

Awesome, thank you!

7. GamerPET

GamerPET

This is how it looks for me. Not really working. It's firing... but I don't see anything. That "Sunflower" links to a prefab.

So I don't think I understand everything yet.

What is "Set Item" doing exactly? Why Index is 2 and why Value is 1?

THanks

8. NeonTanto

NeonTanto

1) First of all, Sunflower must be instanciated in scene. If not, you dont see it =)
    2) Set Item its wrapper node for set_Item method which is setter for this[] indexiers (Get Item its getter).
    3) Value is 1 because we must convert screen point to wrold point... but we need talk to method how far from our camera point must be (screen point actualy have only 2 dimensions), and we must store this value in z coord of our vector... But actually right now we haven't access to fields via Flow Canvas, thats why we use indexers which exists in Vector3 struct ( vector[0] - its x, vector[1] - its y, vector[2] - its z). I put 1 in z coord just for "some distance", because I use ortho camera (distance not matter). For non ortho camera you must set another values which depend on your camera settings. Or you can use second camera and set it in ortho. Just for drawing this elements.

nuverian likes this.
  9. GamerPET

GamerPET

Oh right. I just picked a zombie I had lying in my scene... and I am able to Move it when I move the camera.
    So I have to initialize my 2 plants... then depeding on the button I click, move that plant to my cursor position.

Even for a small thing like this I sitll have to use brain some more :D

10. GamerPET

GamerPET

I to have problems with this. Somehow, don't know why it's hard to find a particular node. It might be because of my inexperience. For example @mf_andreich showed me that code one page ago and he was using this node:

Took me some time to find the "Set Item" with a Vector3.

Down side is that even right now I forgot how I did it.

For people who are more experienced... (@nuverian) what would you suggest to do in this case? How can we find a node more quickly... I don't mean by "pressing a button" but how to logically follow someones chart, and deduct that "Ah yes, This Set Item is a node from ... "Transform" (just an example).

Thanks

11. NeonTanto

NeonTanto

Vect3.gif

IFL likes this.
  12. IFL

IFL

Is there a way to auto-add variables to object Blackboards? Assigning a graph asset and then having to create them all by hand is kind of a pain when doing it more than a couple of times. The little button in the node properties panel is nice, but it's still a chore for more than a few variables. Am I missing something?

13. nuverian

nuverian

Hey,

Once you have a graph opened in the editor through the FlowscriptController, you can do this from within the editor command -> "Edit/Promote Defined Parameters To Variables".
    This will auto-create all variables that the blackboard misses and that the graph requires. Basically do what the promote button does, but for all unliked parameters.
    Let me know if that is indeed what you were after and whether or not this works for you.
    Thanks.

IFL and GamerPET like this.
  14. IFL

IFL

That's great! I don't know how I missed that - thanks! It might be nice to have a setting for automatically doing it, but I understand potentially not wanting that in some cases.

nuverian likes this.
  15. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I am not a scripter at all, but have paid for a lot of custom scripts.
    Is there (or this program) a Unity asset that will read existing scripts and turn them into graphs to help one see them visually?
    Probably like the "make art" button, but thought I'd ask.

16. nuverian

nuverian

Hello there,
    FlowCanvas does not convert code to graphs or vice verse, but is rather used to directly create visual scripts instead :)

Don-Gray likes this.
  17. sledgeman

sledgeman

Does there any templates exist which I can download (not game samples, more simple node settings for special purposes)? Would be great. Have also questions about tweening / easing / animating values, floats.​

18. nuverian

nuverian

Hello there,

I am not sure I exactly understand what you mean :) Do you mean code templates for creating custom nodes? If so, there is a documentation section for that on the website, but you can also of course check out the included nodes to see how they are created.

Let me know if you mean something entirely different (which I think you do :) )
    Thank you.

19. sledgeman

sledgeman

Nah, it was close :) ... Lets say, i need to do a raycasting. I have no idea how to do it. But here inside the forum, some guys done it allready. So i have take a look onto their sheet to put the nodes by myself together, to adapt it. So this is what i meant, just many of these purposes are needed (raycasting, follow cam, FPS controller, etc). Therefore it would be great to have templates somewhere i can download it, or maybe by a dropdown menu inside FlowCanvas. Collected by users and or given by the dev.

20. sledgeman

sledgeman

2nd question:
    How do i use a AnimationCurve (time based), that puts its information / values inside a float variable onto the variables blackboard . I need a own easing driven by a animationCurve. And i need these values to be inside a float.

Searching about 2x days for it :(

21. IFL

IFL

@sledgeman - if you know Unity's commands in c# (or even Unity's javascript, probably) then it's pretty easy to create graphs with FlowCanvas. Here's a literal translation from code to FC script using the script (revision 4) from this page.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class DemoScript : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public Light myLight;
    8.     void Update () {
    9.         if (Input.GetKeyDown ("space")) {
    10.             MyFunction ();
    11.         }
    12.     }
    14.     void MyFunction () {
    15.         myLight.enabled = !myLight.enabled;
    16.     }
    17. }
    FC_IFL_sledgeman01.jpg
    So how you go about doing raycasts, follow cams, or FPS controllers is up to you. The FPS controller would probably be a pretty large graph, which is fine, but it'd take some time to create it properly if you don't know how it should work when you start.

Here's an AnimationCurve to blackboard-float graph:
    FC_IFL_sledgeman02.jpg

nuverian likes this.
  22. sledgeman

sledgeman

Great ! Thanks a lot iFL ! This is what i was searching for. Couldn´t figure it out by myself. That´s the nice thing about the forums here. You got some help, when you ask for something :)

nuverian and IFL like this.
  23. nuverian

nuverian

Thanks a lot for helping out!
    Very nicely explained and presented :)

24. GamerPET

GamerPET

Hello guys!

I finally finished my tutorial.

http://www.gamerpet.com/tutorial/plants-vs-zombies-in-unity-with-flowcanvas-tutorial/

Remember that Plants vs. Zombies thing I worked on? I was planning of finishing this tutorial like 2 months ago but I had other issues. Then at one opoint I finished writing the tutorial, I used a Wordpress database "cleanup" and it deleted all my drafts. So I had to re-write the whole article.

Also the video itself it's kind of long but I wanted to talk more about the process on how I got to that solution and other problems I encountered.

I plan to do the next videos shorter... but at least there is also the article on the website that has the screenshots & stuff.

Anyway... if you have suggestions please givvvv :D

@nuverian - check mail. Hopefully it's not in the spam again :D

25. NeonTanto

NeonTanto

Man, It's really great!

GamerPET likes this.
  26. sledgeman

sledgeman

I am struggling with the Trigger Event. I just want to have "multiple" Objects / Coliders inside. I tried a variable which is declared as list, but it didn´t work. Can´t select it as a list, inside the trigger. Only one Object, or one Colider is possible. Can someone help, give me an example, or an other workaround (maybe with tags) ? Thx.

27. fisj

fisj

We had someone on our team just upgrade to a new iMac, which is one of the ones with the Retina 5k display.

However, Apple’s system for resolution is to have a dynamic resolution which means it scales down from 5k so you can read text and stuff. What It means for FlowCanvas is that it thinks the resolution is higher than it is, so the variables window will go off the bottom of the window, even If the window is full screen, and it will not let you scroll the window, because it thinks it’s all visible at once.

Unity 5.4.3f1, macOS Sierra 10.12.5

nuverian likes this.
  28. mf_andreich

mf_andreich

Can you explain your main target? I think I can understand it incorrect. Anyway, physic trigger events doesnt work with lists, arrays or other. Its not flow canvas trouble its "how unity work". If you need know which colliders inside your trigger inside - you need put it in list by hand when its enter to trigger and remove from list when it exit.

nuverian likes this.
  29. sledgeman

sledgeman

Main target is a main purpose ... So you have a node inside Flowcanvas called "OnTrigger" (Trigger Event). It is possible to assign an object / collider tag to it. It works. So far, so good. But it doesn´t satisfiy you. Imagine you have 100 x Objects you need to get triggered by object x,y,z,w,r,t,z,u,... and so on. It doesn´t make sense to make 100x nodes of these OnTrigger Events and assign them manualy. You also don´t have enough space for that in the canvas of Flowcanvas.

Therefore i thought it must be a solution, maybe the "list" in the Blackboard. Or maybe with Tags, by tagging 100x Object. It seems, there is not any solution for my purpose in FlowCanvas for that. Thats pretty sad :-(

30. Szaruga

Szaruga

Using <Color> as type for generic nodes breaks the node and port captions.

2017-07-12_18-26-21.png

nuverian and IFL like this.
  31. GamerPET

GamerPET

32. IFL

IFL

@GamerPET - It's there after adding the SceneManager type... is it having issues when you run it?
    FC_IFL_GamerPET01.jpg

Would a compound collider work for your situation? You'd put the FC graph on a parent and have all of the colliders as children. There's limitations to doing it that way, but it might work. If you need individual objects with specific trigger actions, I think you might want to rethink the implementation - maybe prefabs with a shared FC graph that makes choices based on each object's settings.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    nuverian and GamerPET like this.
  33. sledgeman

sledgeman

Hey, thx for respond. Its not always possible to stack objects together, as childrens. Because you need often individual objects, acting by their own. Therefore you need a clever node system, what i am searching for in FlowCanvas. It can´t be, thats only possible in a more complicated way, like making "prefabs". I mean, we have tags, layers, and i thought we can do something with object"list" inside the blackboard. Otherwise i have no idea whatfor this list (GameObject / Collider) is, as for the purpose to use multiple Elements, and this list should be accessable to Events like Triggers etc. !

If someone has a elegant solution / way for this need, i would appretiate it.

34. IFL

IFL

@sledgeman - I'm pretty sure that FlowCanvas can do whatever you want, but it might take thinking differently about it. Have you tried saving a graph as an asset and using it on several objects in the scene? As far as I know, leaving the collider field blank on the event uses each graph owner's collider. If you want dozens of different types of triggering objects then you're looking at a lot of work ahead of you, even if you're not using FlowCanvas.
    I don't mind proposing in-depth solutions, but I don't know much of anything about your project. Feel free to PM me any details about your project or even a similar game that I could look up.

nuverian likes this.
  35. GamerPET

GamerPET

@IFL

And I just did an update now... which downloaded like 5 more files. But I still don't have anything related to Scene. Weird.

EDIT:
    Oh... I totally TOTALLY forgout about adding Types. Looking in to that now :)

EDIT2:
    Ok so I managed to add SceneManager to Types.
    So ... if I don't fight something in my list. Something that EXISTS in Unity manual. I need to add that something to Types, that way it will show in FlowCanvas.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    nuverian likes this.
  36. sledgeman

sledgeman

@IFL thx for trying helping out. Currently i don´t have any big project. It is just thinking of how i would use FlowCanvas for the simple task of assigning multiple colliders onto a 1x trigger-node. I have allready other visualscripting solutions, where such a thing is easy possible. Was hoping to achieve this with FC too... :(

37. IFL

IFL

@GamerPET - Yeah, there are quite a few built-in types that are not accessible by default in FC. I don't really mind because the types window is always my first check when I can't find something...

@sledgeman - How do you use the other visual scripting tools to do what you're wanting? I'm almost certain that it's an easy solution in FC, but if you've gotten it working in other tools then I'll stop trying to push FC.

38. sledgeman

sledgeman

I mean, you can code an array by yourself, where you put all your nescecary objects in (multiple). This is why i thought such a thing must be possible in FC (in a same way, via lists). Anyway, if i find a solution in FC, i will post it here.

I have 4x vis.scr. plugins. One of them has this easy solution to do what i want. How i do it there? Simply add the "List" which can be generated under the variables. Put as many objects as you want in it. If you done it, you add the trigger Node / Block and assign instead a object, this list. Really simple. Like in FC with the list, but in FC this don´t work :(

39. PawelS77

PawelS77

There is a bug in the Get Random List Item node. It never returns the last element of the list.

In FlowCanvas\Module\Nodes\Simplex\Implemented Nodes\Lists.cs, in this line:

Code (csharp):
    1. return list.Count > 0? list[ UnityEngine.Random.Range(0, list.Count-1) ] : default(T);
    The "-1" should be removed, because Random.Range (int min, int max) "returns a random integer number between min [inclusive] and max [exclusive]" (see here).

I can fix it for myself, but I think it should be fixed for everyone that uses FlowCanvas.

nuverian likes this.
  40. GamerPET

GamerPET

yea I found that to in my PvZ "clone" :D but I tought I was doing something wrong.

nuverian likes this.
  41. GamerPET

GamerPET

Yea it's not a problem. I just forgot about it. Now it totally makes sense why I coudn't find some stuff in the past.

42. nuverian

nuverian

This is super great and well presented!
    Thanks a lot for making and sharing this with everyone!
    If you want to make a post in the official FlowCanvas forums, I will make it sticky asap :)
    Thanks again!

Hello,
    Like @mf_andreich and @IFL said (thanks guys), the Unity physics callbacks are a bit tricky to work with when it comes to multitudes of objects. For testing purposes, I have created and attached for you guys here a new node (which once imported can be found under "Multi Object/ Trigger"), which takes a list of colliders as targets and is invoked when any of the target trigger objects in the list receive a unity trigger callback. Let me know if this is indeed what you were initially after and if so, I could make such "multi target" nodes and include them in the next version. (please do not use the attached node for production).

The node could probably be improved by also having an output of the invoker object (the one that received the trigger callback) instead of only the triggering object that caused the callback (other).
    Let me know what you guys think of this approach if you test it out.

Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for the retina problem report. I will take a look at this as soon as possible!

Hello,

To fix this <Color> problem quickly, please open up Editor_Node.cs and in method "ShowHeader" at about line #322, please change the first code brackets there to be like so:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             if (!showIcon || iconMode == IconAttribute.Mode.AppendToTitle){
    2.                 if (name != null){
    3.                     if (!EditorGUIUtility.isProSkin){
    4.                         GUI.color = new Color(1,1,1,0.75f);
    5.                         GUI.Box(new Rect(0,3,nodeRect.width, 23), string.Empty);
    6.                         GUI.color = Color.white;
    7.                     }
    8.                     var finalTitle = this is IGraphAssignable? string.Format("{{ {0} }}", name) : name;
    9.                     finalTitle = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace(finalTitle, "<color>", "(Color)", System.Text.RegularExpressions.RegexOptions.IgnoreCase);
    10.                     GUILayout.Label(string.Format("<b><size=12><color=#{0}>{1}</color></size></b>", hexColor, finalTitle), centerLabel);
    11.                 }
    12.             }

Thanks!

Thank you for the bug report and fix :)

Attached Files:

43. sledgeman

sledgeman

@ nuverian . Exactly what i was searching for !!! It does the job. If you make it versatile for all events it would be perfect. These "Multiple" slots option should not be restricted only to events / triggers. It should be everywhere, where it makes sense. As said, if you don´t have such a option, its really annoying to make multiple nodes, that takes space.

[Edit] Maybe such a function via variables in the blackboard. This way you don´t need to make new nodes, multiobjects are inside variables and can be used with ALL nodes :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  44. PawelS77

PawelS77

There is a problem with breakpoints - when I set a breakpoint and run the game immediately after that, the breakpoint just disappears. But if I change anything else after setting it (for example move a node), it works properly. So it looks like setting a breakpoint is not considered a change in the FlowScript that needs to be serialized.

Edit: Also, breakpoints don't work on nodes with unconnected flow out ports.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  45. nuverian

nuverian

Hello again,
    I am glad that this is indeed what you were after and that you've found the node useful.
    Will try and squeeze in a few more similar "Multiple" event nodes for the next version.
    I am not exactly sure what you mean by saying "a function via variables" in your post edit though :)

Thanks.

Hello,
    Thanks for the breakpoint serialization report. I will review the code and fix this as soon as able.
    Regarding breakpoints on nodes with unconnected flow out ports, this by design. What I mean, is that a breakpoint is actually triggered when a Flow Output of the node is called, rather than a Flow Input. As such a node without Flow Outputs connected, will never trigger it's breakpoint since no Flow Output is ever called. This may sound the reverse of what is normally expected, but it is done this way for a few reasons, which I already plan to work around and thus improve when breakpoints trigger.

Thanks!

GamerPET likes this.
  46. GamerPET

GamerPET

Any ideas on how to make this even more "optimal"? I did a small "Pause" menu that shows/hides an in-game menu.

I also have another weird problem. I implemented this:

This works fine except when I have my flowers spawning the suns.
    Example:

See the SUNS that spawned? If I click the "Restart Level" button right now, this happens:

I am left with this:

And I get this error:
    Some objects were not cleaned up when closing the scene. (Did you spawn new GameObjects from OnDestroy?)

The game also remains paused.

This is how I spawn a new Sun.

So what am I doing wrong?

Thank You :D

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    nuverian likes this.
  47. sledgeman

sledgeman

Great !!! if you can implement these stuff in the next version !!! What i meant with :
    "....by saying "a function via variables" in your post..." Its simple. Take a Event like collider or trigger. You are able to define the "target" inside the attribute window. Its a common task. But instead to drag an object into the slot, you can select an object from the blackboard via a variable. Add Variable -> New -> UnityEngine -> Collider / GameObject. So far so good. But here i just want to have this multiple-object-List. This way you don´t need to make new nodes.

We allready have Add Variable -> New -> List<T> -> UnityEngine -> Collider / GameObject. This is what does not work. I mean i am able to make a List with all my Objects (like the node you made), what i am was searching for. But you are not able to assign this list to the Trigger / Collider Event. So i guess you as the dev. can explain to me whatfor this list is, why i can´t use it this way. Is it useless ?

48. nuverian

nuverian

Hey!

Here is an alternative way of doing what you are doing here with the Flip Flop, where I basically use the FC ability to directly connect booleans to floats and let it auto handle the conversion, where in this case, false becomes 0 and true becomes 1 of course.
    Notice that both Flip and Flop outputs lead to the first node and I instead use the "IsFlip" boolean to drive the set property values. I am not sure if this is "more optimized" in the sense that you asked, but it's an alternative :)
    FlipFlop.png

Regarding the other problem you posted about Suns not spawning, it is a quite difficult to determine what can potentially be going wrong here without taking a look at the project. Is it possible for you to please send me the project to check it out more closely to support_AT_paradoxnotion.com ? It would be great if so! :)

Let me know.
    Thanks!

Hello,
    Thanks for explaining your point of view :)
    List variables, can be used in a lot of different ways in FlowCanvas just like they also can of course in code. You can for example iterate a list for each of it's elements and do things with them, check if a list contains some element and act accordingly, or just use a list as a parameter in some function that takes such a parameter.

A For Each example:
    ForEach.png

A (silly) List Contains check:
    ListContains.png

There are really numerous uses for them :)
    I understand your point of view of wanting to use lists in the trigger/collision events for example, but these events are made in a way to accept a single item. With some changes I may be able to make them also accept a list of such items as an alternative. I will give it a shot and if it does not work as I expect it will, then I'd probably create a Multi-X version of the "Object" based events for that, similar to the one I posted before.

Cheers :- )

GamerPET likes this.
  49. sledgeman

sledgeman

Yep, as you described, there are usecases for the list. For me it would be logical to use them in some event-nodes, too. Your attached script works also with the list in the blackboard. I tryed it out. I modificated other nodes too, like UIPointer and it worked fine. With mulit objects list in the blackboard and on the node itself. So you should be able to make it availible in the next version, maybe ;)

nuverian likes this.
  50. GamerPET

GamerPET

Hey guys! I hope you are all having a great summer! Can you believe it's August already?

I have been playing around with FlowCanvas... and I got to something that I don't know how to do yet.
    I'm trying to make a Controller that will "controll" it's childre. Basically I have some variables, he knows his children, and based on those variables I want the FlowCavas script to do this... but I want this done in the Editor and not at runtime.

I'm getting inspired by some code that is doing kind of what I want to do, and that code is using this: [ExecuteInEditMode]

Can I do this with FlowCanvas?

Thankxxx!!