Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

floor with big texture

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Mike99, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Mike99

Mike99

hi,

i'm using a plane (modeled in a 3d package) acting as a floor.

i can draw on the floor but the resolution is very poor so the "lines" are very pixelated.

i'd like to have a very big plane but with a good texture resolution.

the ideal would be to have only one mesh for the floor (modeled in a 3d package) with a good white blank texture onto which i will draw.

i don't know the solution so if someone has an idea ?

2. FuzzyNori

FuzzyNori

How are you applying the texture?

What is the resolution of your texture?

Should the texture fill the whole plane itself or do you want it to repeat itself (aka tiling)?

3. Mike99

Mike99

through script, i create then assign a texture of 1024x1024 to my only mesh (floor).

my goal is to be able to draw across the floor seamlessly through all the textures (being visible as one same texture for the player).

its like one big piece of paper (made of several ones maybe for the resolution matter) :)

4. Glockenbeat

Glockenbeat

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and went for a solution which uses a custom shader. That shader blends between 3 different textures (optionally can use normal or specular maps as well). Each assigned by the vertex colors of the mesh. Turned out to be working quite well, yet the downside is that there is no good vertex painter for Unity. Those which are available are not really sufficient or have horrible performance. So you'll end up painting the vertex colors in your 3D application directly.

5. Mike99

Mike99

well, i'm not sure this is the same case.

i'm making a painting application with a very large canvas.

i need to find a way to have a good resolution on the texture when i set pixels on it because right now, the resolution is very poor (line is rendered pixellated).

the texture in itself is pretty simple but how can i have a better résolution even with a very large one ?

6. FuzzyNori

FuzzyNori

its generally a good idea to mention this on your first post, just a friendly suggestion :)

unfortunatly i do not have any suggestions to help you out :(