Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Floating-Point Precision for object position: Was it increased in recent versions?

Discussion in '2021.1 Beta' started by Horus_Sungod42, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Horus_Sungod42

Horus_Sungod42

Hello Unity forums,

I was messing around in 2021 beta, and was remembering how placing animated skinned object a couple thousand units away from the origin made the object jitter due to precision (this happened at work in our actual project).

I was surprised to see, however, that the monkey head model I placed 95 000 units away from the origin was not jittering (I put a simple rotation script on it though, it wasn't a skinned mesh).

Did Unity increase its precision/number of bits in the position in the most recent version? (or maybe the bug only happens with skinned meshes)

Thank you!

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

NotaNaN, mahdi_jeddi and LeonhardP like this.
  3. Horus_Sungod42

Horus_Sungod42

Yes, I was testing a project in HDRP.

I was wondering, since our current project at work in in 7.4.1 and suffered when we moved an object more than 1000 units from the origin. The documentation saws we should have had that camera-relative-rendering already active in 7.4, but oh well, maybe it was deactivated somehow.