Search Unity

Floating point division remainder function?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by CoffeeConundrum, Mar 5, 2014.

1. CoffeeConundrum

CoffeeConundrum

Hi there,

Been trying to find a way of having floating point division remainders and haven't had any luck in doing so.

All I require to do is change a variable every time 3 seconds go by. After some research online, I noticed for normal c# that the fmod function was used however I cannot seem to find this within Unity.

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

2. jgodfrey

jgodfrey

While I don't know what "floating point division remainders" and "change a variable every 3 seconds" have to do with each other...

The standard modulus operator in C# can be applied to any numeric type, including floats. So...

Code (csharp):
    2. 9.1f % 3
    Will yield 0.1, or something very close to 0.1 (as is the case with almost any floating point math).

Jeff

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

%

Use InvokeRepeating.

Unity uses normal C#; there isn't any fmod function, but just use % like I mentioned.

--Eric

4. Paragon99

Paragon99

I doubt this will do what you want it to.
    I am assuming you are going to try to increment a counter everytime Time.time % 3==0? If this is so, then it will be quite unreliable as time.deltaTime is greater than float.minDelta... I.E Your just as likely for iteration x to find Time.time%3==2.98 and iteration x+1 to find Time.time%3==0.01 or something similiar..

5. AlpacaMaster

AlpacaMaster

how do i do this in unityscript? the % doesn't work...

6. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Yes it does.

7. landon912

landon912

Are you using it right? You might want to use %= if your trying to assign it.