Search Unity

Flipping Normals, Maintaining Text Orientation, 360 Player

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by hassank, Aug 16, 2016.

1. hassank

hassank

I'm working on a GearVR + Unity 360 video player, but am having trouble with in-video text: text appears backwards. My current prototype is a hack on the Oculus Sample Framework and the 360 videos will play on GearVR.

Attempt #1
    I put the video texture on a sphere and attached a FlipNormals script. The text was backwards, which makes sense to me.

Attempt #2
    I made an inward-facing sphere in Blender and exported to Unity so that I did not need the FlipNormals script - text is still backwards. This does not make sense to me.

Any ideas on what I could try next?

teepeepro likes this.
  2. teepeepro

teepeepro

i figured out a work around - for video files that you have access to locally or streaming, that you can edit.

Simply use your video program to flip the image horizontally, thus flipping the x-axis of the video and countering the understandable invert of the FlipNormals script.

You can use most video editors to do this, but here are two popular recommended ways -

If you are on OS X/MacOS, simply open the source video in quicktime, select Flip Horizontal, but I am sure most editors

If you are using VLC (tried on OS X, but should work on Linux, Windows, all that VLC runs on),
    open file in vlc, find Video Effects in window menu, go to Geometry, then select Transform and finally Flip Horizontally.

If anyone else has a solution for doing it in the actual video sphere object, please post!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  3. michael_page

michael_page

You can flip the text by placing a - (minus) symbol in front of the X value in Scale

rugma827 likes this.