Search Unity

Flickering shadows in HDRP

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by cpkcpk, May 4, 2020.

1. cpkcpk

cpkcpk

Hi,

In all of my HDRP projects, shadows are seriously flickering in game view, but look fine in scene view.

Here's a video comparing game view and scene view -

TAA anti aliasing on the camera helps with the flicking shadows, but looks pretty bad overall and makes my water flicker badly instead -

Changing direction light shadow resolution from 1024 to 2048 or 4096 also helps. but still flickers and hits the performance a lot.

I've tried all the anti aliasing modes, playing with the shadow cascades and distance, turning off post processing, enabling high quality volumetrics, LOD Bias, camera clipping etc but still haven't found a solution!

I'm on 2019.3 HDRP 7.3.1 on a Macbook Pro 16" with the AMD 5500M.

Thanks

2. antoniopepe

antoniopepe

I have same quality issue ... anyone can solve ?

3. Gaoyu2020

Gaoyu2020

I have same quality issue ... anyone can solve ?

4. olavrv

olavrv

Try enabling mipmap on normal map texture, should fix it

5. Gaoyu2020

Gaoyu2020

I didn't use any textures.

6. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, there were many improvements to the temporal anti-aliasing in HDRP 9/10 (Unity 2020), and anti-flickering control is one of them:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...s.high-definition@9.0/manual/HDRP-Camera.html

It should be helping quite radically on the water scene. And it will improve shadowing stability too. You might want to reduce the split 1 distance potentially, as well as the overall distance (900m is a lot), and use contact shadows as a fallback in the distance. With HDRP 9/10, you can even set a min shadow distance for the contact shadows, so that they only appear beyond a certain distance.

olavrv likes this.