Search Unity

Bug "Flickering" baked reflection probes

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Watanka, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Watanka

Watanka

Hi !

I have this strange issue with reflection probes. Depending on the angle of the camera, the probes is disabled.
    I've played with many parameters but I can't find where the issue is. This behaviour is global, every reflection probe have the problem, in any scene.
    Anyone got an idea ? Thank you very much !

Using Unity 2020.3.22 with HDRP 10.7.0.

Here is a short video of it in action and the typical probe config I use.

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Something seems to be off with probe sorting. HDRP has its own reflection probe system. I will move this thread to their forum, maybe they'll know.

3. angiemon

angiemon

... any news so far? I'm experiencing the same problem - it suddely showed up - and it's very annoying and project ruining :(

4. Watanka

Watanka

Thanks for moving the thread.
    No news on my side sadly. I did some additionnal tests without good results.

5. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, it looks like a light culling problem.

It could be interesting for you to play with the custom frame settings in the Reflection Probe's Inspector (or in the global HDRP Settings), and toggle the settings on and off for the Light Loop ("Compute Light Evaluation" for example).

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...gh-definition@15.0/manual/Frame-Settings.html

If disabling some of these help, it could be a workaround, yet not necessarily optimal for performance.

Have you also tried to create a tiny repro project and upgrade it to a more recent version of Unity/hdrp? If so, can you reproduce the problem (for instance in 2021.3 or newer)?

6. Watanka

Watanka

Hi, thank you for your answer.

I've done some tests with the settings. Nothing seems to have an impact on my issue.
    I will do a Unity+HDRP upgrade in the next few weeks. Can't try it now, I've an important deadline that is too close to spend time on this for now :p

I'll post news on this thread later, once the upgrade is done.

7. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

@sebas77 @angiemon you had both mentioned this has been happening to you recently as well here.

might be worth looking into what @pierred_unity has mentioned see if you have any luck there.

The last time i saw anything like this happen was the terrain system back in 2019, I highly doubt it is related in this instance. frame debugging may also give some insights.

8. Watanka

Watanka

Hi !
    I'm back with an update.
    I've spent a good part of the last few days to do a FULL update of Unity and all my assets. Deleted all cache/library folders. Rebaked lights / occlusion / probes (using the built-in light renderer).
    I'm now using Unity 2021.3.9f1 and HDRP 12.1.7.

The issue is still there :(

9. Watanka

Watanka

Nobody got an idea of what it can be ?
    I've made another project to test, didn't had the issue. So I suppose it's because of my config on the main project.
    I tried to disable/enable every single frame setting / volume setting one by one to find out what's happening. No success.
    So I started to think that maybe it is a third party asset, but I don't have assets affecting light / reflection.

10. impheris

impheris

Dumb question: are you sure the reflection probe is not turning off when you move? (i know is very dumb)
    Can you show the volume? please

11. Watanka

Watanka

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Probes are not turned off. Here is a short video where a probe is selected and in the middle of the view (shown in Scene tab here but the behaviour is the same in game / play mode).

For the volumes, here is the main one, used as default for the whole project and the scene specific one. reflection_probe_bug_volumes.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  12. REDACT3D_

REDACT3D_

sometimes I get flickering of objects that are moving in the camera view, if I delete a HDRP Decal projector and it messes with the settings..

uh just for kicks, can you try and switch the renderer to forward only, in project settings>quality>HDRP
    Capture.PNG

13. Watanka

Watanka

Thank you for your suggestion.
    Did a try, no success. Also tried to disable decals. Same result.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Questions:
    • What method do you use to render grass?
    • Are there any warnings in the console? Such as not having enough space for probes?

15. Watanka

Watanka

Hi !
    • I use Nature Renderer with mesh grass. But note that the bug does not affect only the grass. It is the most obvious visually in my short videos but every objects and the terrain are also affected by the reflection flickering.
    • No error or warning about lights, probes or rendering issues.

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Could make a copy of the project and test on a new version of HDRP. You should report a bug using the bug reporter, as I think we've come to the end of what's possible on the forum to solve this.

17. Watanka

Watanka

Already did a full update to the latest LTS version of Unity & HDRP.
    Yes I will bug report soon since it looks like we are running out of ideas :(

18. impheris

impheris

For me, it looks like a problem with transparent textures on the terrain, i do not see that problem with the big rocks there and the trunk of the trees but it happens with the foliage (which have alpha) i think it happens with the terrain by the way is painted, or maybe the youtube's compression xd, can you hide everything but the rocks, the trunks and everything that use textures without transparent or alpha channel and try it again? :)

19. Watanka

Watanka

I confirm it is the same behaviour on everything :p
    The video does not make it obvious but the rocks are indeed affected. Also various smaller props, fences, buildings, houses, etc. Also have the problem in interiors with bunch of furnitures. Most of them use opaque textures.
    But thank you for the idea :)

20. REDACT3D_

REDACT3D_

bummer.
    if you manually move objects around with the transform tool, does the object that you're moving flicker while the remaining objects look normal?

21. Watanka

Watanka

Hmm I'm not sure what you mean but if I move object around, they don't flicker. The only way to make the reflection to flicker is to move the camera.

REDACT3D_ likes this.
  22. Watanka

Watanka

For information, if you are experiencing this issue, there is a brutal way to fix it.
    Delete all the HDRP config from your project and recreate a default config. Just to be sure, make a backup of your project before doing so. A full reimport will occur.
    Edit > Project Settings > Graphics - Delete the used Scriptable Render Pipeling Settings, recreate a new one.
    Edit > Project Settings > Graphics > HDRP Global Settings - Delete the Global Settings, recreate a new one.

It's a bit annoying because you'll have to redo all your configuration after that, but at least the issue should be gone.
    That worked for me. It kinda confirm that the source of the issue is in the config.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    angiemon, REDACT3D_ and impheris like this.
  23. impheris

impheris

thank you!

24. angiemon

angiemon

@Watanaka omg MY MAN! Doing Unity's job :>

I'm SORRY I LOVE Unity, but I hate when something essential isn't working out AND the HDRP can basically be described like this -.-

It seriously feels like it was developed by Satan and easily made me age 10 years.. IF it finally works it could always cease so any time for SOME reason..
    For photorealistic stuff I'd always consider using Unreal, of that is a possibility for anyone..
    (Not saying it's not a huge achievement what they've done but frankly that doesn't give me anything when I'm struggling all the way, taking 10 times longer to achieve something that lookes 10 times worse then if I'd done it in Unreal and not having any sort of proper documentation because the jokesters at Unity decide to move and change the HDRP properties more often than their underwear.. having to use the HDRP feels like you are in HELL.)

Good thing I personally enjoy cartoony/cute games and that is where Unity is AWESOME :)
    Sadly I had to use the HDRP for work and now I know for certain I will NEVER for my private projects ^^

Rant over, THANKS FOR THE SOLUTION!! that's even better than my workaround (deleting reflection probes and making them new and pray they don't get f**** again, lol)

25. REDACT3D_

REDACT3D_

this is working as intended
    lol

angiemon likes this.
  26. NanushTol

NanushTol

any news on this UNITY?
    I'm in 2021.3 and having this issue
    would really like to avoid deleting my HDRP assets and recreating them

27. SecretGardener

SecretGardener

Since OP's video clip isn't availble now, I cannot be sure whether we are facing the same problem.
    In our game the reflection on object (which is set up by reflection probe) sometime flickers when camera moves.

I managed to find that the problem is caused by low reflectionProbeCacheSize in HDRP Asset.
    After changin it to a higher number(in my case 8 to 16) the flickering is gone.
    I hope this could help.
    upload_2023-8-9_15-4-57.png

NanushTol and Watanka like this.
  28. Watanka

Watanka

Hey ! Thank you for sharing !

I tried to reduce the value to 4 to see if it's the same visual behaviour than I encountered. And yes, it is !
    Good job figuring the source of the problem ! :D

SecretGardener likes this.