Search Unity

Flickering and uneven Glow/Bloom on thin emissive meshes

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by KristofferH, Feb 17, 2021.

1. KristofferH

KristofferH

I'm having issues with glow or bloom on thin meshes with an emissive material on (HDRP 7.5.3 Unity 2019.4).

The first thing is that I haven't actually enabled bloom in the Post Processing at all, yet the bloom or glow effect is still there. Why is that? Adding Bloom in the stack gives me some controls for tweaking the bloom, but none of the settings seems to affect or solve any of the issues I have below. But how do I disable glow/bloom if I want to, since even without the Bloom layer in the stack, the effect is still there?

One of the issues I have is the uneven distribution of the effect, the red meshes here are just cylinders scaled down to 0.01 on the X and Z axis. The material is a HDRP/Lit shader with a red emission colour and the intensity set to 10000 nits, and exposure weight set to 1. But somehow the glow effect is extremely uneven; highly intense on some parts, and almost non-existing on other parts, even on the same mesh. It looks the same regardless if I have the Bloom post process layer in the stack or not. See the image below for settings on the camera and PP volumes.

The second issue I have is the tremendous flickering of the glow effect, it doesn't come across in a still image of course but flickering is so sever it might just cause epileptic seizure! Setting AA on the camera to No Anti-aliasing, FXAA or SMAA removes the flickering, but TAA causes flickering; can this be resolved? TAA is very good in general, but not in this specific instance.

Glow.jpg