Search Unity

[Flash] Custom Splash Screen - Single SWF

Discussion in 'Flash' started by catburton, Jul 27, 2012.

1. catburton

catburton

A few people have asked if it's possible to have a custom splash screen for your Unity published Flash games, whilst keeping the output as a single SWF file. This is useful for games portals etc, where you're often only able to upload a single SWF file.

A workaround for building a single SWF was previously posted in another thread by ParaLogic. I've taken that workaround and used it with our earlier Preloader example to show how you can have a custom splash screen for your Unity content in a single SWF file.

Attached to this post is a zip file containing 2 folders:
    • BuiltExample - Contains the SWF and HTML file to run the built example
    • CustomSplashScreen - The source for the wrapper to make the custom splash screen. This folder is an FDT project, so if you're using FDT it should hopefully work straight away. If you're using another IDE, the contents of the libs/src folders are all you need to build the example.

The AS3 code in this example is very similar to previous examples so hopefully it should be easy to follow. This is a quick/simple workaround and by no means represents best practices. As with the other examples/demos, since the publish to Flash feature is still in developer preview, this example is subject to change in future releases.

View attachment $CustomSplashScreen-SingleSWF.zip

2. manuelv

manuelv

Thank a lot !

Great example

Perfect.

3. manuelv

manuelv

fine.

Thanks for your share

4. mohydineName

mohydineName

Thanks for this help!
    However I am new to FDT and I can t get it to publich an HTML file along with the swf. What is the way for doing this?

Thanks

Stephane

5. Hi There

Hi There

Works fine! thank you!
    Could it be possible to keep the loading progress bar with the custom splash screen?
    that would be perfect!
    anyway... thank you again!

6. jcarpay

jcarpay

Would be nice to see this workaround being replaced with a more solid solution. Is this to be expected in the next update?

7. TirythDM

TirythDM

Hello, sorry catburton, nut I can't make it work u.u

I'm using flashDevelope to make a single swf, but I can't figure out how splashscreen works, i tried to put libs/src, but the black screen after preloader still...

can you give me more information? a tutorial maybe...

8. ice99

ice99

Thanks for the example.
    Is it possible keep the loading progress bar with the custom splash screen?
    Can somebody supply an example or tutorial of workaround?

9. mtoivo

mtoivo

I've done custom loaders only with Flash Builder, but it shouldn't be too hard to apply elsewhere; it's basically a single .as file. I've constructed the visual elements (including progress bar) in Flash, and and load those elements as an external SWF and control the visibility via AS code. if you decide to use custom splash screen, then you have to also create the progress bar, but it's no that hard.

10. ice99

ice99

Thank you for reply. I understand algorithm, but i can't catch bindings of these steps.
    Can you post some of your sample project? I mean "custom preloader"+"unity project" where we can see connection between the preloader and project. I've downloaded few examples, and my notes are following
    - if i use 2 different files (UnityProject.swf and CustomPreloader.swf), and my "UnityProject.swf " has (working) fullscreen option (via actionscript), then after custom preloader i try "Fullscreen button" then project opens in fullscreen, but not scaled to fullscreen. It shows regular size (500x500px) in a top left corner on a solid fullscreen fill. I think there is some problem with scaling.
    - if i use 1 file, i can't test this options, because i have no example source code to figure this out. In file "CustomSplashScreen-SingleSWF.zip" there is no UnityProject. It's only compiled swf and few actionscripts. So, i can't figure with Unity source code.

11. zeusrami

zeusrami

Hi maybe you can help me :) When I compile to flash, unity generates an html file. The problem is that the swf doesn't work without this html.
    I saw in your example that the file CustomSplashScreenExample.swf works perfectly well witout the html.
    But In my case the only way to make my swf work is with the generated html and all the portal games accepts only 1 file (the swf)
    Maybe I forget to configure something? Any Idea?

Thanks a lot!
    Ramiro

Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Ramiro

12. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

The html has little to do with this. If the portal allows for content that needs a wmode=direct in the flash embed, then you should be ok. There is nothing special about the html that unity provides next to the swf file.

13. HaHa_7758

HaHa_7758

FDT software using open, error: 'The workspace cannot be built until the necessary SDKs are configured.', How to configure the SDK it?