Search Unity

[FIXED + Reason] Unity 2019.1 editor out of nowhere really slow...

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by RebelsoftOFFICIAL, May 5, 2019.

1. RebelsoftOFFICIAL

RebelsoftOFFICIAL

Hello everyone!

I have an annoying Unity Editor bug. I started yesterday with a new game in Unity2019.1 (high render pipeline + I use Vulkan for this project). Everything was fine until I raised the shadow quality. After that my project crashed. Restarting the project and my shadows where back to the default settings.

But there is one very big problem! The whole editor runs like really really really slow. Every move and click lags and the worst part are: Unity crashes every time out of the nowhere. Like really random. One time after two minutes, the other time after 3 seconds.

I have also noticed in the Task Manager of windows that my GPU regularly jumps between 85% – 100% when using Unity. And that's very strange to. I have a GTX 1070...

Is there any way to fix this? I have already tried to reinstall the whole editor and yes, putting the pc off and on doesn't work to. All my drivers are also up to date to.

~ Xavier ten Hove

2. RebelsoftOFFICIAL

RebelsoftOFFICIAL

3. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

What was the fix

4. shwnsi

shwnsi

How did you fix it?

5. Mauri

Mauri

Yeah, a forum doesn't work like that.

See, OP? If you found a fix for your problem, let other people know. Chances are they're facing the same issue.

RebelsoftOFFICIAL and Peter77 like this.
  6. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

One thing that did work for me was turning of metal API in the player settings but this is not ideal

7. AndresSepulveda

AndresSepulveda

I have the same problem. editor takes a long time to open a project. then when it open becomes unresponsive for a long time. Then it becomes stable (after 5 10 min) and then i can work normally

8. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Are u on Mac

RebelsoftOFFICIAL likes this.
  9. AndresSepulveda

AndresSepulveda

Windows 10. Same project on mac opens ok

10. RebelsoftOFFICIAL

RebelsoftOFFICIAL

@AndresSepulveda @francois85 @Mauri @shawnsi

All right,

Late reaction here but I found the fix back then like 10 minutes after the post. So I wanted to delete this post out of shame because it was the most dumbest thing in the world. But... That's not possible... So I hoped everyone was going to ignore this post if there was a fix in the title...

Now we are a few weeks further... And I found out that people did care about this. And you know, how shame full this might be for me, I can actually help people preventing the same problem.

[So this was the fix:]

When I opened the project after the first crash, I thought that nothing was saved. It turned out to be false. Reason why: I clicked on the wrong light source. Instead of clicking on the sun, I clicked on the point light. The point light had the original value for the resolution: 512. But the sun was still 4096... Putting it back to 512 and my pc was cold like an ice block again!

So yes, I was smart enough to know that a higher shadow quality value can cause a performance issue. What I didn't know was that shadows are super heavy. I was expecting the opposite because we don't live in 2010 anymore... But hey, I am still new here in the graphics part of game development. But the huge fact that I accidentally clicked on the wrong object... Well... I didn't really like to tell that to everyone a few weeks ago. So sorry for my late response on this if you feel offended.

Have a nice day,
    Xavier ten Hove

Joe-Censored and Mauri like this.
  11. Mauri

Mauri

@XGAMESSTUDIOS There's no need to feel ashamed :) We all were new at one point in our life and stuff like this happens even to the best of us.

It's good that you've decided to post here again.

12. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Good on you to come back with the explanation, even if you find it embarrassing. Nothing worse than googling for a problem like you're hitting, finding a thread with "fixed" in the title, and then no fix mentioned in the thread :p

RebelsoftOFFICIAL likes this.
  13. RebelsoftOFFICIAL

RebelsoftOFFICIAL

Hahaha! Thank you all very much! ^^

Joe-Censored likes this.
  14. BuzzyRoboYT

BuzzyRoboYT

Thank you!