Search Unity

Bug [Fixed in 5.3.3] Vertices rapidly stretching in random directions, some models look skewed

Discussion in 'Linux' started by LukaKotar, Dec 19, 2015.

1. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

After upgrading to 5.3, I started seeing weird graphical glitches, such as vertices jumping all over the screen (looks like flashing, they change every frame). The "flashing" seems less obvious after baking occlusion culling information (which now works properly, yay!), however it doesn't solve the issue.

Examples:

I've also spotted a certain model getting oddly skewed and deformed at random, sometimes returning to it's original shape after preforming an undo or redo (the model uses a "generic" rig, and has a .blend extension). It usually deforms right after saving the scene.

Cube is just for size comparison, originally the model was about twice as tall as the cube.

Edit: This also happens in build

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    CyRaid likes this.
  2. ArXen42

ArXen42

Have the same issue. Also, procedurally generated textures (created by using Texture2D class) aren't work. Nvidia GTX560Ti, ArchLinux.

3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Does this occur on Ubuntu? I'm yet to try 5.3

4. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Yes (I'm running Ubuntu 15.10)

5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Ok then, I also see that someone on arch had the issue, that's why I asked. :)

6. Tak

Tak

Ouch - can you provide us a project where this happens reliably?

7. logic-cpp

logic-cpp

I just created a brand new 3D scene, added nothing to it, "play"ed it for a few sec, then went to scene view and started WASD-ing around it; spazzing triangles / glitching vertices / artifacts etc starts showing immediately.

I've also observed rendering distortions / artifacts like this in dialog windows / preferences etc.

Kubuntu 15.10 x64
    GeForce 610M with 358.16 proprietary driver
    BTW the previous Unity linux release (the 5.2 one) did not have this issue in Kubuntu 15.10/15.04 even with earlier NVIDIA drivers (355, 352 etc)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  8. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

Thanks for the response. I've done a bit of testing, and it seems to be related to my character rig. If I move the camera out of my character's hierarchy and start moving it around, I don't see any issues. I'll try reproducing it in the mecanim example project.

Edit: I wasn't able to reproduce it in the example project so far

Edit 2: If I suspend the system (put it to sleep) while Unity or the game is running, the artifacting no longer happens when I wake the computer up. (The model in the last screenshot is still skewed)

I'm not seeing any twitching in the scene view, only in the game view.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  9. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

The model looks (and animates) fine if I disable GPU skinning (in the player settings). I'll post again if I find out more.

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, I can confirm that on 5.2, OpenGLCore doesn't work right on linux. (Well, on an age-old sandy bridge iGPU)
    The symptoms I got was weird skybox flickering when using the procedural sky. Otherwise, rest of the game worked correctly. (I assume this was fixed in 5.3, but then... we have stretching. :D)

@LukaKotar: So disabling GPU skinning was what fixed it? That sounds like a unity-specific GPU driver bug, probably a matrix not updating itself properly. (I've seen what buggy transformation matrices do, and it's not pretty... ;))

EDIT: Hang on, try disabling GLCore and see if OpenGL2 backend does it. (If it's not gone in 5.3)

11. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

It prevented these certain animated objects from getting deformed, it didn't get rid of the jumping vertex artefacts.

I've tried disabling it in the player settings when I was testing this, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I've also tried running it with arguments such as -force-opengl (which according to the docs forces Unity to run in legacy OpenGL (2.1) mode), but to no avail. It was pointed out in the OpenGL madness thread that these arguments don't seem to work in the editor itself, but do work in builds (as well as take care of these artefacts).

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

So OpenGL 2 does work; That isolates the problem to OpenGLCore then. (GL 3.1 in other words) Let's hope Unity find the problem quickly.