Search Unity

1. How can our website serve you better? Give us your feedback. Take our survey and let us know.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Read here for Unity's latest plans on OpenXR.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed foveated rendering on Oculus Quest not working

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by AmbOcclusion, May 29, 2019.

1. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone, this is a known issue. URP adds an extra blit when there is any custom render feature, and FFR doesn't work with the extra blit. Moving forward, we plan to have each render feature declare whether it requires the extra blit or not. Once that's in place, FFR will be compatible with render features that don't require the extra blit.

GridWanderer, ROBYER1 and Kronnect like this.
  2. Kronnect

Kronnect

That’s interesting!

3. jp-glue

jp-glue

In other words, does this mean no switching render targets even after the fix? What If one needed to do something like that in a render feature and still use FFR?
    If I've understood the problem correctly, it's that OVR swiches to a new render target internally without Unity's knowledge, so setting the render target to anything else on the Unity side will break FFR. There was a post over a year ago by daves saying you're working with Oculus on this, is that still going on?

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

Agree with your point. For our use case, it's enough to control that blit since in this case we're just drawing renderers to the current target.

5. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I am shook this is still an ongoing issue

6. matthoadrobson

matthoadrobson

Wait, just to clarify, I can have EITHER fixed foveated or a different render scale with URP, but not both? And this bug is a year old? More than? Come on Unity what is this?!

ROBYER1 and Martin_H like this.
  7. PixHammer_

PixHammer_

The amount of URP features that you can't use just to have FFR is insane. No post processing, no camera stacking, no renderer features at all, anything that calls the final blit prevents FFR, and therefore tanks your performance, absurd.

8. Wim-Wouters

Wim-Wouters

9. jashan

jashan

That's very unfortunate because post-processing is one of the areas that would benefit most from FFR. Less pixels makes a major difference for most post-processing effects.

Wasplay likes this.
  10. Wasplay

Wasplay

Any update on this ?
    Not having FFR prevents me from publishing my game since it heavily relies on complex shaders and post-processing..

11. Proto-G

Proto-G

Thank you!

ROBYER1 likes this.
  12. Proto-G

Proto-G

I suggest starting from Low until everything is running smoothly. For me it is set at Medium.
    OVRPlugin.fixedFoveatedRenderingLevel = OVRPlugin.FixedFoveatedRenderingLevel.Low;
    OVRPlugin.fixedFoveatedRenderingLevel = OVRPlugin.FixedFoveatedRenderingLevel.Medium;
    OVRPlugin.fixedFoveatedRenderingLevel = OVRPlugin.FixedFoveatedRenderingLevel.High;
    OVRPlugin.fixedFoveatedRenderingLevel = OVRPlugin.FixedFoveatedRenderingLevel.HighTop;

13. arfish

arfish

A simple suggestion.

Wouldn't it be so much better if Unity could offer a SIR, Single Image Rendering (or what it may be called) option for all VR headsets using the XR System?

Think it is much simpler to implement and would probably give a better experience for the players to drop the costly stereo rendering, to save the frame rate in some heavy situations in the game, instead of blurring everything but the center of the image.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  14. jashan

jashan

No. VR without stereo rendering is extremely disorienting.

The cool thing about fixed foveated rendering is that it's barely noticeable because in VR, people usually "look forward", i.e. they usually rather turn their head instead of just rolling their eyes. Losing spatial vision, on the other hand ... that's just weird.

Interestingly, even reducing the resolution based on performance is less disorienting than the framerate dropping. Valve successfully implemented this e.g. in "The Lab" and it's also an option in Unity (or it least it was). Yes, things do get a little more blurry that way, even in the center of view - but that's less annoying than the framerate dropping.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  15. Proto-G

Proto-G

I haven't noticed any decreased quality in main view. But I am using mostly UI and rendering the scale to 1.5 for better clarity on low quality setting.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  16. arfish

arfish

Oh, no, no, disabled stereo is hardly noticeable by anyone having all other depth clues from the perspective, different sizes, and speeds of the scene objects depending on the distance. The Cardboard guys even "forgot" to implement it in some of the versions for the new XR System. No one even noticed it for a long time. Would say unnatural turning of the head is probably the number one puke trigger, for those ranting on about so called "VR sickness".

17. Claytonious

Claytonious

Any news about when and in what version this will be? It's surreal that this issue is still unresolved. Can the community help accelerate its resolution in any way?

TheVirtualMunk likes this.
  18. Dark-Table

Dark-Table

Monthly checkin hoping a resolution for this is coming soon.

PixHammer_ and fherbst like this.
  19. TonyVT

TonyVT

Just stumbled upon this issue. I have tried many options offered here, but with no luck even with the latest URP version available in Unity 2019.4 LTS. I hope it gets solved.

lucaspedrajas likes this.
  20. TheVirtualMunk

TheVirtualMunk

F***ing hell Unity, we back at it again.

Another day lost to clicking through settings in multiple different places, to now realize MSAA doesn't work when Opaque texture is on...

URP: 10.5.0
    Unity 2020.3.11f1 LTS

This is ridiculous... Stop treating your PAYING customers as QA...

ROBYER1 likes this.
  21. jimt123

jimt123

Is this fixed now? Thanks for any update.

22. polygonfuture

polygonfuture

Whats up with this issue? Still seeing this in 2020.3 LTS and latest URP / OVR Integration plugin.

23. Danielsantalla

Danielsantalla

Bump. Still no fix for this. If I understand correctly, the FFR will not work in URP if you have a custom renderer feature, opaque texture or antialiasing 4x active. Unity 2020.3.5f1 URP 10.5

unityunity