Search Unity

Fixed foveated rendering on Oculus Quest not working

Discussion in 'VR' started by AmbOcclusion, May 29, 2019.

1. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Surely not, I'm already using 8.0.0 from here https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/commits/master

saifshk17 likes this.
  2. daves

daves

Unity Technologies

No. SRP 7.2.0 doesn't require upgrading the Unity Editor; it's purely package work. You should be able to just upgrade.

equalsequals likes this.
  3. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I am concluding the saga of this forum post with the final response from the Unity Graphics Team detailing how to actually use FFR with Vulkan through the Oculus XR Plugin here

There are three ways that you can set the foveation level (in order of goodness):
    • Through our XR Plugin for Oculus, there's a new API function
      Code (CSharp):
      1. Unity.XR.Oculus.Utils.SetFoveationLevel(level)
    • Specifying the level using adb to set a debug property,
      Code (shell):
      1. adb shell setprop debug.oculus.foveation.level <level>
    • Oculus' OVRManager asset package which provides functions for managing the appropriate levels. Details can be found in the Oculus developer pages (for example, here) and other Oculus developer blogs.
    Foveation has five levels from zero (0) which disables the feature, to four (4) which maximizes the rasterization control (see here for details).

Dragnipurake97, Claytonious and mgear like this.
  4. equalsequals

equalsequals

5. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

gjf likes this.
  6. daves

daves

Unity Technologies

@equalsequals I've successfully used 8.0.0 with 2019.3.0f6, so no worries there.

Also, please stick with 2019.3 for the time being. There are some architectural changes (specifically dealing with Vulkan render passes) in the engine in 2020.1 that have are currently affecting all the goodies you want: Vulkan, multiview, and FFR on Quest. Please hang with us for the moment, and I'll let you know when to start kicking the tires on 2020.

ArchVizPRO, equalsequals and ROBYER1 like this.
  7. daves

daves

Unity Technologies

@ROBYER1 and everybody else: With regards to the foveation post, using the XR Plugin for Oculus method is totally what you want to use in production.

I mentioned the adb version as a reliable backup, but that's a setting that exists on the headset until it's rebooted, and is really only there for testing. The last method (OVRManager) is being replaced by the XR Plugin method.

I'm just a completist (it's a genetic thing o_O), which is why there's the extra detail.

gjf and ArchVizPRO like this.
  8. Dragnipurake97

Dragnipurake97

Do those architectural changes mean that the RenderPass API will be ready for XR in 2020.1?

9. equalsequals

equalsequals

Thanks. We're in no rush to move to 2020. I'll look into the 8.x packages and see if everything still works.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  10. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I was thinking 2020 was already features ahead of 2019.3. Lucky I can sit tight on 2020 until the Vulkan Multiview work is done. Thankyou for the heads up and I look forward to hearing when 2020 alpha/beta has the Vulkan Multiview working for Quest as you intended.

Thankyou for your hard work and for the transparent responses here. They are really appreciated!

daves and saifshk17 like this.
  11. Claytonious

Claytonious

So just to be perfectly clear (and thank you so much for the clarity!) is this what we're saying the final state of things is for now?

Vulkan on the Quest in 2019.3xxx will be marooned on Multipass and will be kind of an alpha, but we are welcome to help test Vulkan in that mode if we like. But to get Multiview (which many if not most of us will need to actually ship with) we will need to wait until some future 2020.xxx release? Is that correct? I am not editorializing either way or trying to load these questions - I only seek to know what's happening for planning purposes.

Thanks for the added info so far!

EDIT: Answered over here already - thanks!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Dragnipurake97 and gjf like this.
  12. saifshk17

saifshk17

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    fherbst likes this.
  13. arnav9893

arnav9893

I was also getting "isTargetTexture2DArray" and "renderingData.killAlphaInFinalBlit" as true, so I went with the nuclear "return false;" option. One thing to note is that I believe this workaround will disable the ability to cast the content to a mobile device or Chromecast, though I can't verify this.

14. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

15. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  16. Claytonious

Claytonious

Which PR? Do you have a link?

17. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Think the link got removed? idk it's there now

Claytonious likes this.
  18. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Is FFR working for you alongside render features? I want to use a decals renderer for URP but that produces an additional pass when rendering which will probably affect FFR from what I understand!

19. welliAR

welliAR

Hi Everyone. Just tried 2020.1 Alpha with URP 8.0.1, VULKAN API Only, XR Oculus 1.2.0 Oculus Integration 14 with Multiview. Still no success. Rendering weird on Eyes. Even more worse than in 2019.3 on URP 7.2.0. Had to fall back top GLES again. I really want to use FFR. Is there any Chance to get it to work on GLES? Or when we can use VULKAN, FFR, MSAA and URP?

20. Dragnipurake97

Dragnipurake97

To get FFR working you can render straight to the camera backbuffer by using a hack in URP to avoid rendering to the intermediate texture.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  21. welliAR

welliAR

Hi. So there is no way to have it all right now without hack? You mean FFR by using GLES? So do you think i should get rid of VULKAN and use GLES? I'm very confused. Some people wrote they successful tested VULKAN, FFR, MULTIVIEW and MSAA with latest Unity and URP. So i really don't understand what i do wrong?

ROBYER1 likes this.
  22. Dragnipurake97

Dragnipurake97

I got FFR working on both GLES and Vulkan by using a custom SRP which only renders straight to the camera buffer, but you can skip it on the URP by returning out of a function early which you should be able to find on a thread like this somewhere.

23. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Vulkan is not supported in 2020.1 or .2 yet due to vulkan driver errors Unity are looking into

24. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

FFR only works with this hack, it is coming to URP *slowly*
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline/pull/6036

25. Dragnipurake97

Dragnipurake97

I have got Vulkan working on Quest and it's reporting stereo mode SinglePassMultiview (whereas before it was multipass) but have not done extensive testing on it yet so maybe it breaks somewhere. I am using a barebones SRP though that avoids a lot of the URP bloat so maybe that's why, but I'll look into it a bit more.

26. welliAR

welliAR

27. welliAR

welliAR

That was a good Information. Thank you! So i really get rid of VULKAN

ROBYER1 likes this.
  28. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

It works with both, but as I said, Vulkan doesn't work in 2020.1 so stick to OpenGLES3 for now

29. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

30. aRCHmage333

aRCHmage333

Any updates on this?

LWRP or URP? Which one to pick for Oculus Quest builds?

Does any of it work out of the box or do we need to bend over backwards?
    Do any of the two allow for post processing like bloom for instance?

31. Gruguir

Gruguir

So I may be facing a news issue, using UT 2018.4 and standard RP.
    Now OVR metrics say FFR is activated but not noticeable anymore and zero perf improvements. Did someone ever experienced that?
    Edit : Double-checked using latest 2018.4.21f1 and Oculus integration 15.0

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This can occur if FFR is being applied to only the final blit. In all versions of URP I tested, it was only applied to the final blit so any actual rendering that would've benefited from it doesn't.... like the whole game for instance.

I don't know if this is fixed or whatever due to no communication about it. Ideally it would be controllable, and apply to where the work is needed.

With Vulkan though, it makes sense to go a bit further than just FFR, you can do (dynamic) FR, or other stuff but I have no idea Unity's plans here.

There are a whole bunch of very observable performance gains Unity can do though since my own little renderer does go a lot faster than URP on Quest, mostly because I don't worry about ES 2.0 and partly because FFR works.

I think Unity needs to spend a bit more focus time on Vulkan, since getting that right also has pleasant side effects for console etc. I'm rambling about the obvious, sorry :/

Desoxi, jashan, fherbst and 2 others like this.
  33. Claytonious

Claytonious

Can you share anything about that little renderer of yours? Maybe as new forum post? Would love to hear more.

ROBYER1 and Gruguir like this.
  34. Gruguir

Gruguir

So, I'm not sure what happened, but I guess it's somehow related to a component used on the camera at one point. Once I noticed that it worked in other scenes, I 'simply' replaced my camera with the exact same basic one (same tags, settings) to solve the issue :confused:

ROBYER1 likes this.
  35. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I had this once also, something bugged out on a camera I was using, even though the values were identical to that of the OVR camera rigs!

I fixed it by 'copy component values' from the OVR rig and pasting them onto my camera :) no idea how that did it but it did. If it didn't, replace the borked camera with the working one!

Gruguir likes this.
  36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You would learn nothing from it. By faster I mean raw throughput and using FFR, something I have a devil of a time achieving in URP. It's very simple too which is why I moan: because Unity wants Oculus to provide these things, and Oculus wants whatever Oculus wants. I don't know. I'm tired of excuses and want Unity's perf where it should be: faster than my own potato.

37. skckmdtk2m

skckmdtk2m

Currently using URP8.0.1 in Unity2019.3.7f1. One day, MSAA and FFR were out of service.
    Probably, this happened after the software version of Quest was turned to 16.
    Does anyone else have the same symptoms or know of a solution?

38. jashan

jashan

Are there any updates on this? I'm using Unity 2019.3.12, URP 7.3.1. I have two versions of this project, one running on the Legacy RP, the other on URP. With the Legacy RP version, when I call

Code (CSharp):
    1. OVRManager.fixedFoveatedRenderingLevel = OVRManager.FixedFoveatedRenderingLevel.HighTop;
    I get a significant performance boost. When I do the same in the URP 7.3.1 version of the project, there does not seem to be a noticeable performance boost. In both cases, the OVR Metrics Tool does show FOV = 4.

Claytonious likes this.
  39. GridWanderer

GridWanderer

@jashan Would you say that the performance benefits gained from FFR warrant the temporary downgrade from URP to the built-in renderer in your case? We are (as everyone else is) currently gpu fill bound, and wondering if we may need to pursue the same.

40. jashan

jashan

In my case, URP is not really an option, yet, anyways. Every once in a while, I try it but then decide to stay on Legacy. PostProcessing does work in URP, while it doesn't when using legacy + PostProcessingV2 ... but postprocessing doesn't really work in URP, either, due to performance. VFX Graph at least compiles when using URP - but doesn't really work on device, either. So for now, URP only adds lots and lots of trouble for us.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  41. Desoxi

Desoxi

Any updates on this? :/

42. fherbst

fherbst

I tried a couple days ago on URP 10.0.0-preview.26 (in 2020.2) and FFR worked out-of-the-box when using
    Unity.XR.Oculus.Utils.SetFoveationLevel(level)
    , which is very promising if you ask me :)

That being said, 10.1.0-preview.18 was generally super broken, so can't really say "go forth and use this" as of right now. Let's see what the next 10.x release brings...

Desoxi likes this.
  43. saifshk17

saifshk17

This has been an issue for over a year and a half. Yet there is no fix.

Desoxi likes this.
  44. Desoxi

Desoxi

Unfortunately, yes. I hope unity is going to pay more attention to this as VR is growing and growing.

hippocoder likes this.
  45. XRA

XRA

Any news on this?
    we also need Vulkan renderpass / subpasses to support MultiView, currently there is no exposed way to target both slices of the texture array, and in 2020.1 it looks like SV_RenderTargetArrayIndex was causing shaders to silently fail on Vulkan.

46. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Due to how many posts this thread has got and with people asking for an update I just wanted to let you all know I've sent this over to the team, they've been awesome in getting back to me so fingers crossed I can get you a response!

jykholodia, Desoxi and FromTheFuture like this.
  47. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey again everyone!

Details regarding fixed foveated rendering and Vulkan on Quest can be found in our documentation.

We have been working closely with Oculus, and recently co-hosted a presentation at Facebook Connect 2020 where we share our latest progress. We recommend you check it out!

48. Alex_Heizenrader

Alex_Heizenrader

So I am using a camera for my laser input that seems to be causing FFR not to work. If I remove that camera I use for UI raycasting the FFR works well. What should be the proper usage in this case then? Anyone knows?

I am using basically the OVRCameraRig except adding my laserinput that adds a camera to the scene for raycasting. This is in Unity legacy/standard rendering and 2019.2.9f1

49. gauthierr

gauthierr

Thank you for the update, do you have any recommended set up for URP and OVRCamera in Unity 2020.1?

I have many aliasing problems specially with the alphas on my vegetation. I anyone now the correct way to set it up for this kind of problem, let me know!

50. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi @Shaunyowns,
    Just tested latest Unity 2020.2.1f1 / URP / Oculus XR Plugin 1.7 and FFR works out of the box. But still breaks (doesn't nothing) as soon as a render feature is added to the forward renderer (also disables if opaque texture or MSAA is enabled).
    Is this still an issue or is there a workaround?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    jashan likes this.