Search Unity

1. We would like to hear your feedback about Unity and our products. Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed foveated rendering on Oculus Quest not working

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Bslashingu, May 29, 2019.

1. Bslashingu

Bslashingu

I have not had any luck getting OVRManager.tiledMultiResLevel working on Quest. With an older Oculus SDK I got the error "Tiled-based Multi-resolution feature is not supported" but now nothing shows up and seemingly there is no resolution change around the edge of the screen. It's as if there's no effect. This is on 2019.1.4f1

2. Hyperactive

Hyperactive

Seems like it does enable in the script, but I agree nothing changes on screen. I printed the value of OVRManager.tiledMultiResLevel onto a text mesh in my game to check it's value. It does return that it's enabled, but definitely no pixel change.
    Maybe they haven't officially released this on Quest? Though it's clear it exists as can see it on published games like Vader Immortal.
    Odd!

3. Hyperactive

Hyperactive

4. NicolaZangrando

NicolaZangrando

Hi! Did you manage to make it work?

5. digitaljohn

digitaljohn

Same issue here.

Using Unity 2018.4.1f1

6. Gruguir

Gruguir

FWIW no probs for me to have it to work using the latest Oculus mobile SDK, Unity 2019.1.2f1, standard render pipeline. Obviously this won't work on the Rift, only on Quest. Also, it didn't worked in LWRP.

7. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

Trying with Unity 2019.1.4, Oculus SDK 1.36, using LWRP.
    Changing FFR settings won't do anything, also the Render Scale option in the LWRP settings doesn't affect the final resolution (both with FFR enabled and disabled). Might definitely be a problem with LWRP then...
    EDIT: switched back to Standard Pipeline, and FFR works fine now.

As a side question, how much does the LWRP help with Quest compared to Standard Pipeline?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  8. Gruguir

Gruguir

@DanjelRicci I didn't took much time experimenting with, at first tries results were bad (I mean worst than standard RP).
    But once again i didn't investigated it further.

9. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

@Gruguir “good” to know then. I was reading more or less the same feedback in other non-VR related threads...

On a side note: I’m not trying complex scenes actually but it’s been really hard for me to understand what makes the game stutter and what not, because it stutters regardless if there’s a cube or some characters (thread here). I ended up here when trying to enable FFR to save on performance.

10. fherbst

fherbst

@DanjelRicci for us performance improvements are huge with LWRP. 10 fps to 50fps with a scene with two lights with shadows. Performance is about the same for simple unlit scenes though.

Has anyone from this thread reported a bug to Unity with it? If yes, please post the case number here.

@LeonhardP @phil_lira any information about this? Is the FFR implementation something on Unity's end or on Oculus' end?

Edit: reported as (Case 1162746) [LWRP] Quest FFR (Fixed Foveated Rendering) not working on LWRP

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019