Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

[Fix Out] Checking for changes

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by FeastSC2, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Your decisions shouldn't be about your beliefs but about what things actually are.

I also have my concerns about Plastic's future but so far I haven't seen any negative changes since they've been bought by Unity.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 2.24.00 PM.png
    I mean, this tells me it would take 1hour max? Maybe two?

I contacted support. Told me the process is still going. It might need up to 6 more hours for a total of 10 hours. Which, you know, would be nice to know in advance, since we would let it do overnight.

I have my doubts that it'll finish though. If it's still not done by tomorrow morning I'll cancel it.

I don't have unlimited, but there are packages with semi-reasonable prices per GB that I usually get when we need to upload lots of stuff.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Things are: PlasticSCM is a Unity company. First impression of PlasticSCM also has been bad.
    So you believe they'll be fine? ;)

In any case.

If the migration completes by tomorrow morning, we'll try Plastic and see what happens. Otherwise we'll set up an SVN server.

I still think how Unity handled Collaborate is class action lawsuit material.

4. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Beliefs are worthless. My decisions are made based on facts which are Collaborate doesn't work and Plastic does.

Do you want to work? Then use Plastic directly like I did.

If you want excuses so you can complain, continue setting yourself up for failure like you are.

That's it.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Does it work though? Because the migration tool is provided by PlasticSCM. https://www.plasticscm.com/plasticscm-cloud-edition/migrate-unity-projects How does using that and then it not working, reflect badly on me and not PlasticSCM?

What are the facts in this case? I do not know whether PlasticSCM works better, we were going to try it.

Going from Plastic's site, it seemed like the migration method was the way to go. I should somehow have known not to trust that part? But I should trust their service otherwise because it's good?

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

PlasticSCM is a great service, just don't use it the way PlasticSCM tells you to start using it, and don't believe them when they tell you it'll take 20 minutes.

Come on guys.

7. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Like I said @AcidArrow , you're setting up yourself for failure.

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I think the failure part is considering Plastic, since I know they plan to merge it with Collaborate in the future.

9. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Then keep using collaborate. Problem solved.

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No, I should transfer to Plastic, without history, so when they merge the two I’ll find myself back to Collaborate but without any history.

11. TheGamery

TheGamery

I think eventually Plastic will replace Collaborate, which name they keep I don't know.

My ~40GB collab project took less than 20 minutes so it sounds like there might be a bug affecting your migration/project somehow.

12. Cambesa

Cambesa

Would it be possible to check for changes in the background?

13. DBarlok

DBarlok

Why we are unable to keep working on the Editor while check changes is happening?

14. DBarlok

DBarlok

yes. crazy it is.

15. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

Moved to plastic, which was quite costly in terms of migrating over integrations we had with collab, however, the project takes 1 minute to load instead of 20. No more checking for changes BS.

It's worth the migration over, at least until Unity destroys Plastic along the way.

MousePods, T5Shared, Rich_A and 2 others like this.
  16. twobob

twobob

Did it happen? I don't see this behaviour and it's the 2020 LTS by now (for we LTS folk)

17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No. They just gave up kept ignoring Collaborate and the people that used it and bought Plastic instead, where the Pro subscription benefits you get for Collaborate don't even transfer, so it's a win win (both wins for them, none for the user).

twobob likes this.
  18. twobob

twobob

Yeah that's what I figured. I had a poke around. some cursory - broken - logic to handle when one can push a button
    some calls to a git lib and pe .net proxy blob. Not that easy to fix. Suppose I could fix the button logic at least.

Sigh. Frankly that's an embarrassment.
    Thanks man. Sucks. And yes. I am having to use it. Kill me.

19. twobob

twobob

But... That doesn't work today it would seem. My non-tracked projects folders are still scanned

20. firstwizard007

firstwizard007

I can confirm this is still a issue, like wow , how much time and effort and work has been lost wrestling with collaborate,

IOU_RAY likes this.
  21. airop

airop

ffs unity, fix this! absolutly bonkers that our team is losing so much time on this

22. Trixxy

Trixxy

After so many years we find this is still a massive problem for us, our project is big, and with the fact Unity crashes several times a day we are having to check changes every time and it can take up to 20 - 30 minutes before we can actually get into the project, small value changes and prefab edits cause the whole system to re-compile, the time lost is staggering.

Please all we need is a cancel button so we can do it when we need to and not 5 minutes after the last time because Unity crashed.

This will make everybody happy, so please listen to your community and deliver an option to cancel for all versions 2018 and above.

Thank you for your time.

23. SamRock

SamRock

I had the same issue with Unity constantly crashing and having to wait for several mins for it to re-open. Once I upgrade to an SSD , my 35+GB project opens in seconds . This combined with disabling Collaboration has been working great for me.

PS: Unity still crashes 100s of times

24. Trixxy

Trixxy

We have moved to Plastic and no more checking for changes, also it does appear to be crashing less without collab.

If anyone needs collab functionality I would strongly advise using Plastic, it's a bit cheaper than collab as well so bonus there

25. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I think we should class action lawsuit for Unity selling Collaborate even though it was broken and they had given up on it.

I think the punishment should be that they're forced to start all their marketing materials for the next 5 years with "By the company that brought you Collaborate" and all videos should include at least 60 seconds of actual customer testimonials about Collaborate (no matter the actual subject matter).

(after all, Unity is urging everyone to talk more about the versioning system they use in their post mortems, so PLEASE people, be more vocal about Collaborate)

Actually scratch that, just rename "Unity Technologies" to "Unity, the company that made Collaborate", yep, that works.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    IOU_RAY likes this.
  26. MrD69

MrD69

Not only is this STILL not fixed in any of the newest updates, but it doesn't just lock the Unity window preventing you from using it. It locks the whole freaking computer. I opened Unity then tried to open my volume mixer on my PC to adjust music playing in the background. My volume mixer on my PC would not open. After 8 minutes of loading Unity finally released the lock on my PC. Can't even open window browsers in the background while Unity has the whole system locked.

27. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

28. damian_pablo_gonzalez

damian_pablo_gonzalez

Well... when you say "there isn't much that can be done about it now" it's not true: You could do a simple trick: Just check the last upload time from everyone else on this project. If those timestamps are before MY last sync, then don't check anything.

For example: A, B and C are working on this project. If A opens it, and B and C last upload are prior to A's last sync, why bother checking for every file? It can't be anything new for A!

EDIT: I know this is a 4 years old post, but in 2021.1.1f, it's still happening. How you guys haven't come up with this simple solution?

29. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

I am absolutely baffled. This one tiny feature of "add button to check changes" couldn't be implemented in 4 years, and its miss makes Collaborate completely worthless. I'm just happy we found out before we started paying for it.

EDIT:

After some more research, it seems that Unity is completely switching over to Plastic SCM. A lot of information can be found here in this blog post: https://blog.unity.com/games/upgrading-from-collaborate-to-unity-plastic-scm. And in short: I am much happier with Plastic SCM. It has a lot of good features, low entry for those that aren't as technically gifted and the pricing is better.

But I will note that the blog post is THE ONLY PLACE I could find that mentions that ALL of COLLABORATE will be REMOVED February 28th!

"Plastic SCM will be Unity’s version control offering moving forward, which is why we’re upgrading you as soon as possible. As part of this upgrade, we will be migrating your unarchived Collaborate projects over to Plastic. If you have unarchived projects stored in Collaborate, you must extract your data prior to February 28, 2022 before these projects are permanently deleted."

This information should be square on the Collaborate page and in all the Collaborate tabs! Right now it just "suggests you use Plastic", but this is a crucial detail that really deserves more attention for all the teams that may not realize this.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    sxnorthrop, IOU_RAY and Marc-Saubion like this.
  30. sxnorthrop

sxnorthrop

Wait... Why can't you just check for changes when you go to push? The delta wouldn't even actually matter at that point because even if something changed, it wouldn't matter what the initial state of the change was... because it's a change, nonetheless. So just keep a flag in memory that let's collab know the next push is going to need to do a project-wide check.

Do you guys need to hire someone to fix this? I would do it for free. Collab could be a really powerful tool, and this is the only thing hindering it.

31. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

I literally just posted about how they are going to remove Collaborate forever...

32. sxnorthrop

sxnorthrop

Yeah, saw that after. Super facepalm Unity!!!

twobob likes this.
  33. IDK.
    screenshot.png

34. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Right, I worded that poorly. I did not mean to say it was the only place where it could be found, I meant that it's the only place I've seen it. A warning inside Unity would be appropriate though.

LilGames and IOU_RAY like this.
  35. browne11

browne11

OMG just signed up for collab and paid for the storage only to find I'm not having to wait a good 10 minutes to load my project. The check for changes should be a button!