Search Unity

Fix for USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN error in batch build without the need for a username and password

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by CanisLupus, Dec 10, 2019.

1. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

I'm aware that this problem was fixed in the Cloud Builds service, and I've seen several reports of the problem in local builds with Cloud Diagnostics enabled. However, we are not using it (only analytics and IAPs) and still have the problem for iOS builds.

The only solution I saw for this was to provide a Unity account username and password in the Unity command line arguments for the batch builds. This basically means one of our team members must sacrifice his/her email and password for our shared build script, which seems totally unnecessary.

I'm using information off of this thread, which was closed. @victorw also tells users to check this part of the forums if "you want to know the status of the Editor-side fix for this issue". I couldn't find a conclusion yet, or the status of this, so I'm asking:

Is there an issue in the tracker that we can check for when this will be solved for "non-cloud" builds?

Thanks!

orange-pekoe, Qbit86 and HiddenJason like this.
  2. HiddenJason

HiddenJason

We're hitting this in both Xcode GUI and command-line non-cloud builds since updating to 2019.2 (currently on .15, but it was also an issue with .13).

I hacked around it by having our build script replace the process_symbols.sh that Unity places in the iOS build folder with one that does nothing. Alternately, you could remove that step from the project.pbxproj file in the .xcodeproj - but that's a bit more complicated.

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @CanisLupus, I'm sorry that you're running into this error unexpectedly. Can you confirm that your Project doesn't have Cloud Diagnostics enabled? The best way to confirm is to go into your Project's ProjectSettings folder, opening UnityConnectSettings.asset, then check if Enabled is set to 1 under CrashReportingSettings. If it's 1 then try setting it to 0, saving, and trying to build again.

4. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Hi @ryanc-unity, turns out we do have it enabled. Apologies for not checking this correctly earlier, and thank you.

Since we never activated anything related to Cloud Diagnostics we weren't even aware that it was active. Is the default to send crash reports to the cloud? This is not something we want, actually, so we'll disable it for future builds. (I won't be able to actually test if this solves the problem for a while.) I find it strange that it doesn't have an ON/OFF switch in the main Services view, like all others (except Multiplayer).

HiddenJason likes this.
  5. HiddenJason

HiddenJason

We had the same issue - it was turned on automatically when that feature was added, even though it's definitely not something we want - using that introduces a lot of potential privacy legal issues. And we also found it unclear that the new section in services didn't have a top-level on/off switch like the other services. Hiding the option like that is problematic because Unity users aren't looking at the services panel frequently - usually only once when setting up a project and then maybe on rare occasion when enabling (or disabling) a service.

CanisLupus likes this.
  6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm glad to hear that that was the issue. Cloud Diagnostics being enabled by default in new projects is NOT by design, though, so we've opened a bug on that and will be looking into it very soon. Unfortunately, due to the holiday season coming up, this likely won't happen until early next year. But thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

As an aside, we do have an On/Off toggle for the Cloud Diagnostics service that you can find in the Services Window (or under the Project Settings in 2020.1). Do both you and @HiddenJason not see the blue toggle in that window?

7. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Hi @ryanc-unity, thanks for opening the bug report.

We are using Unity 2019 and will remain there for LTS, so this is what we see (maybe @HiddenJason sees this too?):

upload_2019-12-21_10-47-43.png

8. HiddenJason

HiddenJason

Yep, that's what I see as well. We're also on Unity 2019 on our current projects, and will be at least through release.

9. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

You should see the blue toggle if you click on the Cloud Diagnostics tab in the Services Window (like in the screenshot you provided). From there, you should be able to disable Cloud Diagnostics.
    Snip20200102_1.png

Qbit86 and azukiidx like this.
  10. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Hi @ryanc-unity, we did that and that's probably what @HiddenJason did as well.

We are just commenting on the fact that ON/OFF is not visible on the main view (my screenshot) for Cloud Diagnostics and instead requires us to open that specific entry to see its state, unlike the others like Ads, IAPs, etc.

That and the fact that it turns on by default (which you confirmed is not the desired behaviour) creates an error-prone situation. :)

HiddenJason likes this.
  11. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thank you for clarifying the issue with me. You're right that Cloud Diagnostics should have feature parity with the rest of the Services in the Service Window and we've opened a ticket to address that (UCD-324). We also have a separate issue for tracking Cloud Diagnostics being enabled by default on new projects (UCD-322). We'll notify you here when we have more updates on these issues.

p0w1nd and CanisLupus like this.
  12. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Hey @ryanc-unity, it has been a while but I was just creating a new project in Unity 2019.4.22f1 and noticed that Cloud Diagnostics are still enabled by default and the toggle still can't be seen in the main Services view (only when opening the "Cloud Diagnostics" section).

I still find this very undesirable, although I remembered to check. Other people won't be so lucky. Will this ever be fixed for 2019 LTS?

This is just a reminder/question. It's not breaking anything for us.

Cheers!
    Daniel

13. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi Daniel, thank you for checking in. The original ticket for this feature request was closed because Cloud Diagnostics is currently in maintenance mode while our devs' efforts have been moved to other services. We are still keeping the service running and will address high user pain bugs when we're able to. But unfortunately this means that quality of life improvements, like this one, cannot be worked on at this time. As soon as that changes, I'll be sure to update the ticket and let the team know. Thank you for your patience and please let us know if you run into any critical bugs or issues that we can help with.

14. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Hi @ryanc-unity, thanks for the detailed reply. I see, I understand. It's not affecting us, I just thought I'd ask if there were any updates. Cheers!

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  15. BIMG

BIMG

Hello,
    Iam searching for fresh info from this thread too.

We use cloud diagnostic in our project which we build on local build server in Unity 2019.4.10f1. We are using workaround with username/password for USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN issue.

But we changed licence type on build server to build server licence with floating licence, which doesnt have username/password.

After this we got error: Exception occurred attempting to connect to Unity Performance Reporting service.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Exception occurred attempting to connect to Unity Performance Reporting service.  Native symbols will not be uploaded for this build. Exception details:
    2. System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
    3.   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00058] in <14e3453b740b4bd690e8d4e5a013a715>:0
    4.   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse () [0x0000e] in <14e3453b740b4bd690e8d4e5a013a715>:0
    5.   at UnityEditor.CrashReporting.CrashReporting.GetUsymUploadAuthToken () [0x000c4] in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/CloudServicesSettingsEditor/CrashReporting/Managed/CrashReporting.cs:85
    6.   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00058] in <14e3453b740b4bd690e8d4e5a013a715>:0
    7.   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse () [0x0000e] in <14e3453b740b4bd690e8d4e5a013a715>:0
    8.   at UnityEditor.CrashReporting.CrashReporting.GetUsymUploadAuthToken () [0x000c4] in /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/CloudServicesSettingsEditor/CrashReporting/Managed/CrashReporting.cs:85
    And in xCode old issue USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN.

How can we deal with this error and floating build server licence?

Thanks for help.

16. bhanson-techempower

bhanson-techempower

+1

We are also looking for how to use Cloud Diagnostics with Unity Build Server licenses. There is no email/pass for us to pass into the CLI script.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  17. kaarloew

kaarloew

This is happening again with local builds.

y-yui likes this.
  18. Last8Exile

Last8Exile

Also have this problem with USYM_UPLOAD_AUTH_TOKEN on 2020.3.12 with bacth build using jenkins.

woozza likes this.
  19. fengelbkool

fengelbkool

Hi,

I know it's been almost a year since this thread, but I'm also facing this problem with Build Server Licenses and batch mode building.

Has there been any progress or solution with this?