Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

FIX FIX FIX!!!111ONEONEONE

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by Ravel, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Ravel

Ravel

Yes I made a silly Thread label.
    But seriously, fix the most common bugs for the 5.5 release!
    • Speed Issues! Optimize the code.
    • UI Layout placement
    • Font flickers
    These are my 3 big wishes for this new release.
    And Let me go a bit more in depth with these issues.

First and most disturbing issue, Speed
    I have a top end pc, 16gb of ram, i7 6700 cpu, GTX980 gfx card and the performance of Unity is exactly the same as on my old crappy i3 laptop from 2011. Yes it does run fast for the first 10 minutes, but after that it gets slow and typical unity issues pop in, random crashes, S***ty GI rendering times and so on. And on top of that Unity tends to freeze when the project is larger than a simple 2d game.

Second, UI Layouts
    Yes I get it the new UI is fancy and fast since 4.6. But seriously who's the man behind it? Is he familiar with the fact that UI has to be grouped like a table, to look and perform professionally? Right now, its like a 2d numeric chaos. Every once in a while unity fills your perfectly set numeric values to a trashy mess. For example you set a button in a 30 to 40 position, after some changes they become 29.39857236456289456219846f0cky0u and 40.24879562399723485f0cky0ut0. The changes are small, but since we are dealing with PIXELS, then sometimes it causes some visible artefacts on borders.

Oh and groups... geee, this is the part where I want to nuke Unity... Simply horizontallayoutgroup verticallayoutgroup & layoutelement Components are the problematic section here. Everything gets messy after you try to get everything placed correctly, which is almost impossible without some hacks. Force expand is also limited and it can break your organized UI in milliseconds without a return!

Solution: Finish the UI code and create a UI editor.

Third, Font flickers
    Well this is the last big issue I have noticed so far, and to be honest this was not an issue back in Unity 4.6.
    But lately fonts began to flicker, sometimes the texts are all jibberish and if you have a dynamic text, like a timer or so, then the letters jump horizontally because their width is being changed. This is somewhat acceptable, but numbers should be fixed in their width. They were back in 4.6, I had some nice timers that were placed and aligned on the right side of the screen, but now they are useless, because the disturbing movements simply destroy the visual appeal.

An example of a sudden change in fonts:
    unfukup.PNG
    As soon as I click somewhere and do something else, my nice UI becomes this :
    fukup.PNG

And these are the permanent errors when working on UI's:
    standard error.PNG

Thank you for reading my somewhat mad post. But it's been quite a while since Unity 5 was released and the main issues are still there! It's time to optimize Unity or it will soon gain a new name, BUGnity. And that I would not like to happen, because I seriously loved Unity 4.6! That version was stable and worked, after 5th version, every release has been a Beta for me.

Please Fix Unity, Bye!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    MrEsquire likes this.
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you file constructive bug reports with repro projects? Without that, the chances that the stuff you listed getting fixed are slim to none.

karl_ likes this.
  3. Ravel

Ravel

It's time consuming but i can do that later. These kind of bugs can be recreated every single time you create a UI in unity and start using Layout components. These errors are almost always there. Right now I'm past my projects deadline and am fighting my way through these bugs to get my work done for a client.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Why do you use a beta version to work for a client? The current official version is 5.4. not 5.5.

StaffanEk, Dave-Carlile and MrEsquire like this.
  5. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

I second that question, seems downright suicidal.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  6. Ravel

Ravel

I don't use the beta. I'm just pointing out things for the release!

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's not what you said: