Search Unity

Five things I'd like to see improved in the editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ne0mega, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

1. In scene Hierarchy, I'd like some type of collapsing system, so long lists of objects can be bundled and collapsed so as to not have to scroll through 400 objects to get to the one you want.
    I am aware I could "just" parent all these objects to one parent object, but as Ian Dundore says here, that is very, very dirty, and I am pure of heart and conscious of all that is optimal.

2. When creating a new object (I have requested this before) have it automatically enter naming mode. So create object, type in name. Not create object, highlight, F2, or slow double click to rename.

3. When duplicating objects, please have it appear directly underneath the object that was just copied, NOT the bottom of the hierarchy. When creating a new Object, top of list, please.

4. First click on an object in Scene View Window... make it so the first click selects transform.root.gameObject. It is so annoying to click on something in Scene view, only to have it pick out the some bone or object the root is holding, often opening a huge file tree in the hierarchy. reserve that for the second click if root.gameObject is already highlighted.

5. more space for click and drag in the inspector window for objects, between the bottom of the list and the "add component" button. Perhaps even a little dedicated "drag and drop component" window space. I find it often frustrating grabbing and placing an asset and trying to line it up just right to get that little thin blue line to appear.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Novack likes this.
  2. SisusCo

SisusCo

Did you know that there's a SelectionBaseAttribute?

The problem with using transform.root is that many people use GameObjects for grouping other GameObjects in the hierarchy, so this would only make sense in some projects.

And even outside of this, if you have a huge structure consisting of many child GameObjects, like say a building of some sort, it might be irritating if you had to always click twice to select a specific element inside of it.

I do like all your other ideas though.

3. SisusCo

SisusCo

Something like ctrl + click to select root GameObject could be useful though. Especially if it was combined with an attribute for marking GameObjects that should be ignored when doing this. Something like IgnoreInSceneSelectionAttribute.

If such an attribute existed, it might even make a bit some more sense to treat the immediate children of a GameObject which has a component with this attribute as the default selection base. But even in this scenario I'm not so sure this would be the optimal default click behaviour in many situations.

4. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

1. Currently working on that
    2. Yes! added to our list.
    3. Currently working on that
    4. Yes - we are working on picking but i'll make sure this aspect is clear.
    5. Can you elaborate as to what you're dragging? assume scripts? agree we need better options in inspector for this - I would like us to make the whole thing into a drop zone when you hover personally. Keen to hear your thoughts. We'd need to rebuild it with UIElements first I believe.

Oh hey btw, you just inspired a survey - https://forms.gle/wA3SUTApvDhqx2sS9

Novack and SisusCo like this.
  5. SisusCo

SisusCo

That's amazing news! Will be very interesting to see what this is going to look like.

6. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

5. Yes, I suppose it is just scripts. Even so, to drag and drop a script onto an object, one has to find this very tiny little line of space, and make it turn blue. A few pixels too high or too low, and nothing happens.

However, I listed these from most frustrating to least, and number 5 is the least frustrating and time draining of these five.

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Neat. As @Antypodish suggested here, it'd be good if you put a link to this in a highly visible, "official" thread here rather than buried in one like this.

Antypodish likes this.
  8. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies