Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug [FishNet] RPC error after upgrading

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Crzed, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Crzed

Crzed

I recently updated my project to the latest version of Fishnet and am working through some issues.
    I upgraded by deleting my previous FishNetworking folder and adding the latest from the asset store (I was on a version that was at least a year old).

One of my targetRPCs, and probably any targetRpc, is failing now. When I set a breakpoint and step through the code, NetworkConnectionBuffer.cs has an empty _toClientBundles object when referencing it in the SendToClient() method, so the send is failing.

The TargetRPC in question is this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     [TargetRpc]
    2.     public void RpcShowTriggeredCard(NetworkConnection conn, CardPOJO card, int tileTarget)
    3.     {
    4.      ....
    5. }

I verified that it has a valid NetworkConnection object and other params.

This creates the following stacktrace:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    2. Parameter name: index
    3. System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].get_Item (System.Int32 index) (at <7e05db41a20b45108859fa03b97088d4>:0)
    4. FishNet.Connection.NetworkConnection.SendToClient (System.Byte channel, System.ArraySegment`1[T] segment, System.Boolean forceNewBuffer, FishNet.Object.DataOrderType orderType) (at Assets/FishNet/Runtime/Connection/NetworkConnection.Buffer.cs:74)
    5. FishNet.Managing.Transporting.TransportManager.SendToClient (System.Byte channelId, System.ArraySegment`1[T] segment, FishNet.Connection.NetworkConnection connection, System.Int32 requiredSplitMessages, System.Int32 maxSplitMessageSize, FishNet.Object.DataOrderType orderType) (at Assets/FishNet/Runtime/Managing/Transporting/TransportManager.cs:419)
    6. FishNet.Managing.Transporting.TransportManager.SendToClient (System.Byte channelId, System.ArraySegment`1[T] segment, FishNet.Connection.NetworkConnection connection, System.Boolean splitLargeMessages, FishNet.Object.DataOrderType orderType) (at Assets/FishNet/Runtime/Managing/Transporting/TransportManager.cs:408)
    7. FishNet.Object.NetworkBehaviour.SendTargetRpc (System.UInt32 hash, FishNet.Serializing.PooledWriter methodWriter, FishNet.Transporting.Channel channel, FishNet.Object.DataOrderType orderType, FishNet.Connection.NetworkConnection target, System.Boolean excludeServer, System.Boolean validateTarget) (at Assets/FishNet/Runtime/Object/NetworkBehaviour.RPCs.cs:341)
    8. PlayersCards.RpcWriter___Target_RpcShowTriggeredCard_2298291391 (FishNet.Connection.NetworkConnection conn, CardPOJO card, System.Int32 tileTarget) (at <e651ed62a25a4a4fa6759a5486af8ad4>:0)
    9. PlayersCards.RpcShowTriggeredCard (FishNet.Connection.NetworkConnection conn, CardPOJO card, System.Int32 tileTarget) <0x2ba9af6ade0 + 0x0006a> in <e651ed62a25a4a4fa6759a5486af8ad4>:0
    10. PlayersCards.RpcShowTriggeredCard (System.Int32 ConnectionId, CardPOJO card, System.Int32 tileTarget) (at Assets/Script/Cards/PlayersCards.cs:259)
    Anyone have an idea what I'm missing? This was working flawlessly before upgrading.

2. Crzed

Crzed

In my case, it was because I was referencing the NetworkConnection objects from ClientManager.Clients. Changing it to use ServerManager.Clients. I am unsure why the connections stored in clientManager is now missing the toClientBundles in the newer fishnet version, but okay...

3. Punfish

Punfish

ToClientBundles was never exposed, unless perhaps it was unintentionally in an extremely old release.

Can you elaborate a little more please, just want to make sure you're on the right path.