Search Unity

Fishermind3D

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by skyrider, Dec 4, 2007.

1. skyrider

skyrider

Hy guys. I want to show you all my first and (almost) complete unity work.

It's a mastermind game, for who don't know how to play the rules are simple:

1)You have to find the secret color combination.
    2)You have about 9 tryes.
    3)Just drag and drop the globe fish to the markers and click on the big fish when ready.

This is the link fishermind3d

Any suggestion or/and advice are well appreciated.

Greetings from Italy.
    Oscar

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Very polished! I wasn't very good at this as a kid, but apparently I got smarter since then. ;) Then again, there are only 4 slots, which isn't too hard. The "click me" area seemed like it only worked on the left half, and I'd rather the full-screen resolution was set higher than 640x480, but other than that it's very nicely done.

--Eric

3. nickavv

nickavv

This is ridiculous! I can't win no matter what! Here's what happened:

* = Right Color in Right Position
    - = Right color in Wrong Position
    x = Wrong Color in Wrong Position

So I got this:

**--

So naturally I should have just swapped the places of the dashes. Right? Heres what that gave me:

*---

It made one of the correct pieces wrong. And the two that were correct colors in the wrong place are apparently still wrongly placed, even though I put them in the only other possible place. What's going on?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, "right color in the wrong place" just means that any of the fish is the right color in the wrong place. Same thing with "right color in the right position"...it just means one of them is correct, not which one. You figure out which ones are actually correct by comparing previous rows and making logical deductions.

--Eric

5. nickavv

nickavv

D:

That's not how we played Mastermind when I was a kid!

>.>

EDIT: Oh, I want to add that, my stupidity aside, I really like the graphics and effects. Also, I guess it plays just like Mastermind. :p What I don't like is that the last try is halfway in the water and halfway out.

6. Proto

Proto

Looking very nice indeed. I did have two problems with the GUI. I expected it to work like Moldorma did and so I also wondered whether the feedback was buggy until I read the posts. I vaguely recall having a similar problem with Mastermind or related board game. Perhaps a few tweaks could reduce any first-play frustration?

- Perhaps the feedback can be made more obvious to those of us too lazy to read the rules, i.e. change the feedback display to look less like a diagram of the guess positions? i.e. not arranged in the same way or numbers instead of pips (i.e. 3/4 correct!) Also, I had to guess what the black feedback pip meant on my first few attempts.

- I thought the interface was a little too subtle, perhaps the actual interface could benefit from being more pronounced. Make it more obvious which elements the user is supposed to drag and drop and which elements are drop points. Perhaps rollover highlights or prompts to indicate what bits of the GUI are interactive and perhaps use the shape of the drag elements as the shape of the drop points to make their relationship obvious?

- I think in general the materials could use a lift in colour and specular/reflections to make it look more "fun". Loved the fishy character :)

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That's true; the original game's feedback is in a 2x2 square rather than a 1x4 row. Perhaps some in-game documentation is in order? If you went with the 2x2 square, then the pips might have to be redesigned or else they'd probably be too indistinct when made smaller. Maybe add the option to have more than 4 slots? I know that's not trivial, but I remember some variants of Mastermind having at least 5, which is more of a challenge.

--Eric

8. pete

pete

like the art! so i hit 3 that were right color in the right position and 1 that was right color in the wrong position. how's i gonna get that fixed?! :D cool start though...

9. skyrider

skyrider

Thank you all for the advices. I work on it to improve the game experience.
    Any suggestion how to change the 1 row game feedback to a 2x2 ?
    What i should use instead of the fishbone?

10. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Cool-looking neon bubbles, maybe?

11. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

I always loved Mastermind back in the day. There seems to be something strange with your logic though. I just finished playing a game where I won, but one of the steps told me what was happening incorrectly.

Just to clarify, immediately after I pressed "Click Me" on this specific game it said that I won. So if I win, then why does the row with the arrow next to it only have 2 red instead of 3 red? I noticed that something was wrong with the logic as I was playing this specific game, because once I hit the row immediately after that one, there were no more combinations that were possible with the clues that were given to me.

12. skyrider

skyrider

Ok, thanks for the screenshot. I'll take a look at my routine.

13. skyrider

skyrider

I think i've solved the bug in the color feedback routine and now it's a 2x2 rows sistem (because of the lack of imagination i've used the same fishbones) , just the original mastermind is.

Please have a look at the same URL.

14. skyrider

skyrider

Hello boys. Finally I've got some spare time for make some update to the game. Now is possible to play two different difficult level. In normal mode you have to find a 4 color combination. In hard mode the combination is 5 elements long. Have fun and report every bugs or advices.

The url is the same plus this one fishermind3d

15. escondar

escondar

Very nice. I got addicted fast.. which is the point of these things I guess. My only suggestion is to have that menacing fish actually chomp all the nervous peg fish if you use up all your attempts. I assumed that would happen on my first attempt and it made it entertainingly nerve wracking. Would be easy to do .

Also. On my first round I thought that the explanation diagram in the top right corner WAS the feedback of my first few attempts. I did not notice the feedback markers and was a bit confused.

otherwise great. I got hooked and had fun.