Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Unity 2022.2 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We are making some changes to the DOTS forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Fish-Networking: Unity Networking Evolved! (FREE!)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Punfish, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Punfish

Punfish

Another performance update recently went live in Fish-Networking!

NetworkObjects can now be used with object pools, automatically or manually. You can use the included object pool that comes with FishNet or easily use your own!

Here's some clips of the performance difference with 1000 NPCs being loaded. Notice the large FPS dips without pooling, and how they're resolved with pooling.
    No_Pooling.gif No_Pooling.png
    With_Pooling.gif With_Pooling.png

r31o likes this.
  2. Punfish

Punfish

For those making a physics based game the PredictedObject component is getting an improvement that is being finalized over the next couple days. Here's a video where I cover the changes if anyone is interested!

3. Punfish

Punfish

The PredictedObject upgrades were completed about a week ago and the results are amazing!

Here's a simple demo of a player interacting with dozens of real-time rigidbodies with excellent correction on a 200ms ping!

Who here is making the next Rocket League?

4. Punfish

Punfish

5. LiLyDarcy

LiLyDarcy

Is fishnet suitable for MMORPGs?

6. r31o

r31o

Yes, but can you make a MMORPG? Thats a lot of work

7. Punfish

Punfish

A new title was released on Fish-Networking this Halloween, SAW Games!

Sponsored by known names GameStop, Lionsgate, InternetGame, Autograph, TwistedPictures, and more!

20221104_21-36-44-321_42.png

There's an abundance more nearing release as well; we cannot wait to show you them!

adamgolden likes this.
  8. expandable

expandable

I've been waiting for years , to have such a solution for my physics based 2d Game
    Please, are there any more detailed tutorials on PredictedObject Component ?
    or maybe a project that contain that component so i can explore it more

Thank you :)

9. Punfish

Punfish

There's documentation on how to configure it and a CSP guide. There's example scenes but I think they are non-functional in the latest release; they will be proper next update.

10. danczer1

danczer1

Hello everyone! I having trouble to separate client and server side logic within a single Network Behaviour.
    This doc helps a lot, however I miss some parts for deep understanding:
    https://fish-networking.gitbook.io/docs/manual/guides/network-behaviour-guides

How these events are harmonised with standard unity MonoBehavior events? It would help a lot if this UML would contains everything.

I find out that after OnStartServer the Update will be triggered. However this leads to a strange behavior and I'm not sure if is this a bug or not.

The Update is called after OnStartServer and before OnStartClient. This means that if I initialize some variables in the OnStartClient, these variables are not initialized when the Update is called. I tried using the IsClient properly, but that is true even if the OnStartClient is not executed yet. Good separation for me would be to have OnUpdateServer, OnUpdateClient etc. for all MonoBehavior events.

11. Punfish

Punfish

The order of Unity callbacks in relation to the network ones are not guaranteed. The only exception is Awake, because it always fires before anything else. To ensure the best reliability of your code use the network callbacks when applicable. If you use the correct callbacks the content will never be out of order, ensuring you a reliable test environment for release.

12. r31o

r31o

If you want some sort of "NetworkUpdate", you could subscribe to the TimeManager.OnTick event

13. Punfish

Punfish

Mikejmc likes this.
  14. Punfish

Punfish

FishNet is approaching it's 1 year anniversary, with a lot of growth to show!

There have been over five successful published games with potentially a sixth coming this weekend!

At this time FirstGearGames communities are hosting over 12,000 members. Our support Discord currently has 5000 members while averaging 8-14 new developers a day, with a variable retention rate of 33-40%!

From January 2022 to December 2022, Fish-Networking has received:
    - 182 fixes.
    - 147 improvements.
    - 194 additions(new features!).

We are very happy to say that our product has been extremely stable the past quarter and we expect nothing less going forward. We've kept our no-break promise, enabling trust among many developers and companies to remain on the latest releases.

With our no-break promise in mind, we are approaching another scheduled update to ensure the future of Fish-Networking performance, features, and maintainability. Around early January you can expect 3.0.0 stable to be released, and afterwards the next several releases will bring many anticipated changes and features.

Last but certainly not least, thank you to everyone using Fish-Networking. Thank you to all our helpers and supporters, Pro and free members. Thank you to the companies which have and still are trusting our product for daily use. Fish-Networking will never stop evolving.

ELC2909, r31o, Munchy2007 and 2 others like this.
  15. Punfish

Punfish