Search Unity

First!

Discussion in 'Android' started by jtbentley, Sep 8, 2010.

1. jtbentley

jtbentley

Yeah!

I don't use android, but eh.

2. SteveJ

SteveJ

@JTBentley - Nice :)

To give the thread some purpose (not that it needs it), just going to say that I'm looking forward to getting to know the Android side of things.

Some very nice looking Android devices surfacing lately.

3. AkilaeTribe

AkilaeTribe

It reminds me of a video game website, where for each news, there is always people trying to grab the first post by saying : First ! :)

But is it worth it ? I understand there is the iPhone section, but isn't that Android thing (Wikipedia says it is an operating system, I thought it was another kind of mobile) enough known, and used ?

4. SteveJ

SteveJ

Slowly, slowly...

I think the problem is that Google have gone too far in the opposite direction to Apple. Apple lock things down quite heavily - many would say TOO heavily, whereas Google are a little too "open". The variety in the Android devices is just too great to be encouraging to developers - it's risky when you can't say for certain that your software is going to run on all of the devices out there - though I guess it's been that way with PC games since graphics cards started evolving. At least with Apple you can fairly easily outline which devices your apps will and won't run on, though with all the variations in screen resolution between iPhone, iPad, iPhone4 generations, Apple's devices are becoming a pain too in my opinion.

Anyway, can't remember what the question was or whether or not I had a point :)

5. jtbentley

jtbentley

We'll be supporting Android in the near future :) I mean, if its not a huge mission to port it out of Unity (and it isn't), why not, right?

6. AkilaeTribe

AkilaeTribe

The question was whether there are enough people having mobiles phones with Android. I guess the answer is yes. But as you say, I suppose the real problem comes from the hardware (internal components, buttons and inputs...).

Maybe a demo benchmarking could help the consumer to know whether the game will run smooth ?

7. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

Finally got a smartphone heh.
    Bought myself a HTC Incredible the other day :)

I'll pick up Unity Android after Unity3 actually releases probably :) Got my hands full w/ Unity iPhone atm.

Has there been an ETA on Android Basic?

8. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

I am really looking forward to Unity Android... I got myself a Galaxy S especially :)

9. jtbentley

jtbentley

I'm sure there'd be one on the way, its still in Beta though :)