Search Unity

First unity game - WIP

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Gnimmel, May 12, 2010.

1. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

2. mattconley2011

mattconley2011

Man that's addicting, i like it a lot! Keep it up, very nice work!

3. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

I like it, simple but fun, looking really good too....

4. User340

User340

Here's my highscore:

Attached Files:

5. User340

User340

I noticed a bug. When you die, your position gets reset but your score doesn't. You should reset the score as well.

6. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

heh

Attached Files:

7. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Sweet stuff, this is fun. Post it on wooglie.com when done

8. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Thanks everyone for testing it out. It seems to be liked so far, even though the concept is a simple one.

Keep posting those high scores :D , it's interesting to see how far people are getting. It might give me a better idea on how many levels are needed before it loops back and speeds up.

Daniel, I'll look into the bug. As I'm still learning Unity, I would be surprised if there where no bugs at this point.

Thanks again,

Richard

9. TwiiK

TwiiK

But you have a limited set of lives so accumulating the score for all the lives is not technically a bug, just a gameplay descision. :)

I got to a grey wall and then died directly after. Was that the end of the level?

I thought it was endless at first, but it's a finite distance?

10. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

At the moment that wall is just a reset trigger which sends you back to the begining and speeds up the game a little. I need to model the end of the level soon so you know you've completed it. At the moment I'm working on a Dinosaur model, but the level end will be soon.

I tried making it endless, but it didn't play as well with just prefab map chunks, so I used the code as a map generator where I could go back in and add the rocks and trees myself.

Thanks for testing it.

Richard

11. RobbieDingo

RobbieDingo

Hi Richard, as well as dabbling with Unity I'm a composer and sound designer by day. I have a little down time at the moment, so if you would like bespoke music, and sound effects, of quality for this project, PM me. No worries if you have that already covered, but I like this a lot, so much so, I'd do it for enjoyment only... (+ a credit should you decide to use it).

Kind regards and best of luck either way

12. Melonsoda

Melonsoda

Simple yet addicting :D

Did you create the caveman? When he hit the tree... Haha thats hilarious :D A hollow hit sound would make that perfect.

Good job so far. Keep it up mate!

13. Alvarus

Alvarus

Definitely a lot of fun, and nice graphics, too. :D

14. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Nicely done... reminds me of canabalt. Sitting here this morning I probably played this more than any other unity game, except maybe Twiik's, haha. That's got to count for something :)

15. FrimaMickD

FrimaMickD

Really nice game ! I got to 5500 or something. Keep the good work.

16. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Another quick thanks to all who have tested this so far. It seems to be liked so I'll plod on with the learning process.

Thanks,

Richard

17. 7loop7

7loop7

just want to comment I find the game very cool :)

18. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I just uploaded a new version with a lot of new content. The dinosaur is now in along with a short intro animation and start screen. I've also added some great music created by Rob Wright.

Again, all comments welcome.

http://www.freelance-animation.com/CaveMan/CaveMan.html

Thanks,

Richard

19. mouf

mouf

That's really well done! There's a nice ambiance in your game. Music's doing a great job too.
    Cheers!

20. Alvarus

Alvarus

It's looking great with the new editions. Love the chomping teeth screen wipe. Will this poor cave man always be doomed, or will there be ends to the level (like a cave at the end to duck into)?

21. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Thanks to all who took a look.

mouf : I agree, Rob did a great job on the music.

Alvarus : There is a cave with a mailbox outside at the end of the level. If you can make it, you are safe and the Trex walks off the screen defeated. At the moment, the same level starts again, but sped up a little, however I'm working on more levels.

Thanks,

Richard

22. xToxicInferno

xToxicInferno

Wicked nice game thus far. Thought some problems i noticed, not sure if they have been resolved or not, are that when you get far on your first life, and die, you get about 1000 points when you respawn. So i get to about 2000 or so on my first life,died got 3000 ish...got pretty far after that then died a lot and ended with a score of 8800 without making nearly the equivalent.

EDIT:

Just played the game again. I found the problem, it is any point after the flower checkpoint. When you get hit, and respawn, the game counts it as if i re-ran the whole first part again, thus allowing for a really high score...like the one i just got of 9355.

23. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Running on a beastly box here but still experiencing some very choppy framerates, I can barely make the first jump, so poor cave dude is doomed before he starts. :(

Intel Core i7 (8CPUs) 2.7Ghz
    6gigs ram
    GeForce GTX 260
    3688MB
    Chrome and IE

~t

24. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

xToxicInferno : thanks for spotting that. I'm using the X position to calculate score and forgot about the offset from the check point. I have a offset already set up, but it looks like I forgot to reset it for the checkpoint.

lildragn : thats strange and the first I've heard of slow frame rates. On my machine, which is a few years old now, I get 900 frames per second. There are only 28 draw calls and very limited polygon count. How do other unity games run on your system?

Thanks,

Richard

25. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

False alarm it was probably a process running in the bg that killed the fps. Restarted the browser and everything works like before.

~t

26. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Thanks for re-checking, I was a little worried then and have been racking my brain trying to think of somthing I could have done differently to everyone else. As I'm still learning unity, that could have been anything!
    I'm glad it was a false alarm :)

Thanks,

Richard

27. Ayrik

Ayrik

The game feels great, good work! I like the setting and music too. I have two crits: (1) If this is the first level, it is way too long, or there needs to be checkpoints. (2) It is really hard to tell what you have to duck under before it's right in front of you. I don't necessarily have a fix for the second one, but I still enjoyed the game, good work.

28. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Hello Ayrik, thanks for taking a look.
    I agree with both your cits, and have been thinking about adding shadows under objects that you need to roll under. This might help, although after playing it a few times, it's easier to know what to roll under.
    This is just a test level at the moment, but it's way too hard for level 1. There is a check point, but only 1, in he middle of the level.

Thanks,

Richard

29. General Jackson

General Jackson

That is great! a nice change from Robot Unicorn Attack. Haha.

Also how do you upload a unity web player game?

30. Artimese

Artimese

awesome and addicting, played so many times i hit over 12000 score, you should make the game go bak to main menu when you run out of lives.

good job.

31. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

Glad you like it :)
    The build that is up is now a very old one and I've added a lot to it. I think it's about final now and I've just submitted it to shockwave.com. I have no idea how long there approval process is, but I'm hoping to hear from them soon. I'll probably be submiting to wooglie soon as well.

Thanks,

Richard

32. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

33. giyomu

giyomu

that's really simple and fun game , quite challenging too
    :D