Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

First Unity Game screen shots (New Level)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by orbitsteve, Mar 31, 2008.

1. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

Hi People,
    2nd EDIT: 28/11/2008:
    Ok guys just though I put up a new update , here is a new level I have been working on recently, there are few bugs and collision errors, make sure to point them out and just like to know what the frame rates are like on your gears.

http://www.stephenrebeiro.com/Tram.html

some screen shots:

1st EDIT : 11/11/2008: I have uploaded a package containing the animated gun prefabs and scripts.

Thought I share some screen shots, this is just a test project to understand Unity's shaders , Since I am an artist , in my view UNITY is one hell of a rendering engine.

EDIT:

updated stuffs, just added a Plasma Gun, just figured out how to shot balls :D, still working on how to get a gun recoil animation to work with that .

i have updated the download link below as well...

2. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Hi Steve!

I really like your technical style! Great work. Also the HUD looks very graphic... a bit too big for my opinion but very clear lines and not too much in the forground.

Cant wait to see more of your so called tests ;)!

Cheers

Frank

3. jashan

jashan

Hi Steve,

Wow! That looks quite impressive!!! Will be quite exciting to walk through that building or spaceship or... whatever it may be ;-) but it looks amazingly cool!

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

4. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

Opps! forgot to mention the details,
    But thanks for the comments.

well the scene is inside a energy reactor rig on an ocean , something that had been one of my ideas for a long time.

and here Jashan.. have a walkthrough :)

Attached Files:

5. Samantha

Samantha

6. jashan

jashan

Wow! Really impressive... also very nice atmosphere with the background music!

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

7. drJones

drJones

kick ass work steve - very tight with great use of shaders color.

welcome : )

8. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

In motion its even more impressive. Great way, you used the lighted tiles behind the grates to create more depth and detail in your scene. Very solid work.

Frank

9. Obscurity

Obscurity

That is really nice. Can't wait to see more.

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Very, very nice!

11. AaronC

AaronC

Awesome Mate! Really nice work.

AC

12. GaborD

GaborD

Looks fantastic!

And it seems to run with all (or most) shader effects on my crappy intel integrated chipset computer at work.

13. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

:eek:
    Love it. :D

What's the flat gray on the floating ball, though? Seems almost like a texture is missing or something, but I see it in your screenshot, too. Seems out of place with all the detail elsewhere.

14. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

Thanks Guys,

to be honest ,just trying to simulate a submarine actually, I just added that recently, never intended to put that there in the first place, :D

cheers

Steve

15. Zante

Zante

As I'm nowhere near a mac currently, I'd love to see this on the web. What are the chances of that happening? :wink:

This really does look fantastic. If you were to make a small environment with just basic navigation it'd make a great demo for the Unity 3D site.

Well, I admit my motivation is selfish, I just want to see it on my windows machine. ;]

16. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Sweet sweet visuals. Please tell me you're looking for a programmer to do a collaboration project :p

17. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

the download is a web binary and an html page. It should work on a windows machine as long as the web player is installed (or installable) where you are. :)

18. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

well I have uploaded a web binary and its respective html file. it should work fine on windows explorer, just requires a the unity webplayer (if you have it installed already)

19. Zante

Zante

Thanks, I'm still new to Unity. It's incredible, very inspiring.

20. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

Breathtaking... Absolutely beautiful. Did you do ALL of by YOURSELF?!? This sure beats Halo, no doubt about it! It's even on level with Cyan Worlds' Uru:Ages Beyond Myst. In fact, it looks as if it's straight out of Uru. And for those who don't know it, Uru has the best graphics of any game I've ever played. And THEY had an entire TEAM of artists.. One of the first thoughts that popped into my head was "DUDE!!! Do you realize how much people will PAY for art like this?!?", but I realize that if I mention this to you then there's no hope of getting you on MY team. :p Awesome work dude. Keep it up.

21. Alec

Alec

reminds me of Bioshock, even looks like it too !

really stunning achievement mate.

22. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Really great first entry into the world of Unity! One of the best scenes I've seen so far. I especially like your use of color and refraction shaders. As an "artist" you definitely have a grip on the fundamentals like invisible colliders and self-illuminated shaders. Some of the textures don't quite fit (the 45 degree metal beams on the walls in the first room), but that's just nitpicking. Mostly I'm impressed by your coloring and I'm curious how many realtime lights you're using. It doesn't look like you've baked any lights or shadows. I'm interested in what 3D app you're using and how many draw calls in the scene (sorry if I'm getting technical ;)).

23. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

Thanks Dragon Rider and Alec,

well this is entirely done by myself, I initially started this as a test project to create a scene using only lightmaps rather than using Unity lights , I had to use three point lights though (just to generate specular bump effects on most shaders),

Unity engine was so impressive and easy to use that i decided to create a complete envornment :).It didnt take me much time to design the whole thing since i had a set of design layouts.

24. Marc

Marc

Looks really great. I think there is a problem with the flare of the sun. It shines trough walls!

Attached Files:

25. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

yeah i guess you are right , well I will do something about that.

and here are some Unity snaps, I hope it answers what you needed to know :)

System
    MAC book pro , intel 2.4 , 2GB 667 MHz DDR2, 256 Geforce 8600 GT,

Software: Autodesk Maya 8.0, Photoshop CS.

[/img]

26. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

i did notice that , i couldnt figure out that one until i went through the unity documentation , the flare is invisible only when obstructed by any Unity Physics coliders, the invisble colliders in the scene have to be raised higher, I will fix that soon.

27. Zante

Zante

Which program did you model this in?

Still collecting notes.

28. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

heh heh.....
    well Zante already mentioned it .. but again......:) I used Autodesk Maya 8.0 for modeling and bits of animation, ... and for the textures I used Photoshop.... and UNITY ofcourse :)

29. chiefbobo

chiefbobo

That is HOT! I'll have reiterate everyone else's comments, but with more enthusiasm. I checked out the walkthru and it is stupendous. That looks as good, if not better than any game I have played in the last few years. Really beautiful shader and texture work. Creative level design and solid music. You are hitting on all cylinders with this one.

(I played it on my work machine with only 64MB of VRAM and still managed to keep 15 fps!)

So...uh...where do I pre-order?

30. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

Thanks chief,

well I am glad with all the response, and thanks for letting me know the performance in your system, good to know it works on it .

cheers

31. nickavv

nickavv

Oh gad, this is stunning. :D I honestly am awed and inspired. Good job man!

Also, I get a constant 50 FPS over here on my 2 GHz iMac Core 2 Duo.

One thing that bothered me was that near the beginning the water would pop between being brightly lit and very dark. But really, it didn't detract from the overall amazement even slightly. Really, really nice work.

32. Brendando

Brendando

Don't mean to spoil the mood; it really does look brilliant. But, there's a slight bug- if you go up to the sphere that's floating in the water, at one of the ends of the structure, and jump twice, over the railing- you fall through the bottom of the structure and keep on falling.
    Other than that, awesome work.

33. cherub

cherub

really nice design. there is something about the shape of the supports in the hallway that is very balanced and attractive.

this is one of the best looking pieces i have seen here.

bioshock inspired?

~C

34. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

heh heh ....... well I did play Bioshock, (wonderfull graphics, but I felt it was a bit wierd putting children in midst of all the gore and violence...but again thats another topic)...but anyway i would say i was inspired by works of CLiff Bleszinski of the Unreal tournament fame.

thanks for letting me know , Man you jumped really high !! ... :) , the idea was to block players from ever jumping over the railing, i guess the invisible colliders were not high enough,

yeah .. i noticed that ... wish i knew how to fix that ..something with the shader i guess

35. holmeren

holmeren

OMG!
    Thank you for posting.... very very pro look!
    Awsome have you made games before?

This made my day ;)

36. holmeren

holmeren

I forgot to call:

GALLERY!! GALLERY!!

37. crockett

crockett

looks very nice.

38. G[3z]

G[3z]

give me something to shoot (and something to shoot at) and i'll buy it :D
    great, simply great :)

39. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

Hey G[3z].. well i just added a plasma gun thats shots.. still figuring out what to shot at.... :D...will keep updating though..

cheers

Steve

40. G[3z]

G[3z]

cool!
    i've found a bug, if you jump over the ball on your back you will fall down the level

i think an automatic fire is more suited for that weapon

41. holmeren

holmeren

That gun is so cool..
    Tell me where have you worked before?? please dont tell me that you work your mothers basement just for the fun of it ;)
    That gun with some animation when shooting is AAA looking!!
    Love the glowing "wire" thing with animated texture?

42. crockett

crockett

other players is always a good thing to shoot at.. (hint hint.. time to start experimenting with a FPS)

43. GusM

GusM

Really, really nice, my sincere congratulations.

44. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

crockett says:

well crockett I dont script very well :I ... I just figured out a script on how to shot ( still tweaking though ) and thought of adding a Gun to make it visually apealing.... i will be adding stuffs but I guess updates are going to be a little slow.. and yeah thanks to Unity's FPS project.

holmeren says:
    thanks for the comments .....I havent worked in any game projects before, but was working as a full time 3d artist for animation feautures for nearly 2 years now... and this is sort of a basement project :D .... but isnt this the whole idea of UNITY (I think) .. "games straight out from your bedroom"...

45. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Just seeing this now for the first time... I like the style, very nice visuals!

(if it helps, i'm getting about 12fps looking down the hall on my Macbook Pro :( )

46. Dreamora

Dreamora

Nice one :)

Webdeploy
    44 FPS windowed
    186 FPS fullscreen

on XP SP3, 8800 GTS 640MB SuperClocked

47. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

hey casemon

whats the display card in your macbook pro... funny you are getting that bad framerates... i got like 45fps on a 512 RAM, Geforce 5600

48. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

It's a 1st gen macbook pro (ATI x1600)... if it helps, the FPS jumps to around 40-50 when looking directly at walls; as I mention, it was only when looking down the hall from the starting point that it drops to avg. 12fps.

Just ran it again after restarting my browser, and it was up to about 25fps looking down the hall from the starting point. This is playing in a window, haven't tried fullscreen. Running to the end of the hall it jumps up to about 50-60fps depending on where I look.

I'm reminded of one of the big challenges in doing great realtime 3d art; keeping the fps consistent. Have done many games on limited platforms, large fluctuations in fps tend to cause a greater amount of undesirable effect (visual frustration, nausea, queasiness, general discomfort) than a consistent low fps (within reasonable thresholds).

Getting it look pretty is the 1st huge challenge (which you obviously have a good grasp on) then making it run consistently is the 2nd; it often requires a whole other set of skills and can be an equally formidable challenge.

That said, this is awesome work and I hope to see more from you! Welcome aboard!

49. Dreamora

Dreamora

I only get <= 45 FPS in the start hall down the corridor as well here on my MBP

2.4Ghz Peryn C2D, 8600M GT 256MB

50. filmcraft

filmcraft

Have there been any updates to this project?