Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

First Unity developer videos (C# tips)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shbli, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Shbli

Shbli

Hi

Here I'm just sharing my first videos for Unity C# if anyone got feedback or tips ;)

2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Always worth checking out the competition. ;) I'll have a watch and let you know.

Shbli likes this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I watched the first video. Probably won't touch the second.

13 minutes is a long time to explain setting up a singleton. Especially when you just copy paste the code from the wiki. You haven't even hinted at the various risks of using a singleton. Following just this video is likely to lead to a tangled mess on any but the simplest projects

You also want to up your production values. There are plenty of high quality production videos on YouTube. You don't need to be the best on YouTube, but you need to at least be able to hold your own. Specific issues in the first video:
    • Volume is very inconsistent during the video
    • The video contains typos and compiler errors
    • The video contains a fair bit of 'thinking time'
    Its a good idea to record the audio separate from the video. This way you don't get so much variation. You can also edit the video first to remove mistakes and typos. Your audience doesn't want to watch you debug compile errors.

Shbli likes this.
  4. Shbli

Shbli

Look like I got to repeat the recording! Regarding singleton implementation I easily can code my own, is that recommended?

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

For my personal code I often grab random bits from various public sources on the internet. If the code is a central point of one of my video tutorials I'll explain it all in the video. The script you reference is probably more complex then your use case warrants. And its somewhat out of date (Unfortunately the wiki doesn't really get updated much these days)

Point is your tutorial is extremely thin on content. You don't show how to actually import the Singleton script, that's something a beginner would need help with. You do show a couple of use case examples, which is good. But that's about it. The viewer would be better off spending the 13 minutes reading the wiki page you linked.

6. Shbli

Shbli

I'll try to merge both parts into one shorter video, and create a much simpler singleton implementation!