Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

First time and beginner purchased via Humble Bundle

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by DrmWEaver, Sep 21, 2018.

1. DrmWEaver

DrmWEaver

So, I picked up the Humble Bundle which had some Unity assets. I am a beginner, period. I felt grabbing the bundle would be a good place to start but have had never ending issues since I started and wanted to ask the community a couple questions about the ones that have bothered me the most. I would appreciate any response.

First issue is the Asset store. Is there truly no resume functionality with respect to downloading new assets? I live in a rural area serviced by Xplornet otherwise known as "Got Internet?" Constant unreliability which include slow speeds and disconnects. I have been trying to get "Ultimate Game Music Collection" over and over. Between the ISP disconnects and, what seems to be, constant disconnects from Cloudfront servers this has been a challenge. So far it seems that this inability to get an asset has only been with particular asset as others have downloaded fine. It's gotten to the point that I totally disconnected from the ISP and started utilizing cell data (which costs even more per Gigabyte) to get this asset. Each time the download fails Unity immediately removes the temporary file forcing me to start the download over again. I got to 33% once and Unity just stopped downloading it and after some delay, and what seemed a couple of attempts it removed the temporary file and stopped. I have tried this on cell data twice and even got to 96% (of this 3.2GB asset) and Unity just stopped the download (watched progress via Task Manager). I gave it a 30 minutes to attempt again and when it didn't bother I closed the Unity editor down only to have Unity remove the 3 something GB file promptly. So, all in all, this costed me almost 6 GB of my 15GB monthly cap. I am on my third attempt on my cell data and it has stalled at 21%. My Internet connection is solid on cell data and can reach speeds of 20Mbit but something on the cloudfront end seems to be blocking my attempts at successfully getting this asset. Is this something that would should get use to when downloading assets from the store? No resume functionality and sporadic connectivity to cloudfront? If so, it would be unfortunate. I was so excited I even bought a newer version of an asset since I have grown to expect that Humble Bundle never gives you the latest of offerings and most companies don't normally team up with Humble unless they have something they can afford to give away but even in that one needs to be able to utilize the product in order to feel the need to spend more money on future updates and other assets. As it is so far I can't even get started! Which leads me to my second most bothersome issue so far...

The one time I got to 96% on the big download I noticed that it had stalled and eventually I had to close down Unity and restart it only to find that Unity had somehow reset itself and wanted to reactivate again. I had no other option but to hit the reactivate. What happened here? Can I expect this in the future? Is it because I switched my Internet from my initial ISP to my cell data? Of course the 96% download was removed.

**Update**
    I ended up creating my own resume functionality by using "Lockhunter" to unlock the temporary downloaded file and copying it elsewhere and then shutting down Unity copying the temporary file back and restarting the download. It looks like Unity picked up at 21% where it left off. Odd that it seems there is a partially implemented resume functionality but needs to coaxing to work ;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018