Search Unity

first self-made character!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by boomaster_legacy, May 17, 2008.

1. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

I'm finally learning to not be so cheeky and create my own characters!!!!!!! This is probably good for the people who have responded to my previous topics. I'm making an awesome teddy bear type thing that i can animate and use as a character. teddy bear? actually i'm gonna add claws or a gun or something. it'll be cool. here's a picture.

Attached Files:

2. half_voxel

half_voxel

Nice work, that's more then I can do, but the whole character seams to be made out of [elipses in 3d (don't know what it's named)], hmm that's maybe the point with realistic characters objects. :D

3. Jessy

Jessy

It looks like NURBs creation. Is it? NURBs are really nice for getting you curvy stuff really quickly, but you won' be able to use them for Unity (or any game engine, as far as I know). I did read that the PSP supports NURBs rendering, but that's the extent of my knowledge on that.

4. half_voxel

half_voxel

Nah, I don't think so, isn't Nurbs is when you just make a few polys, this looks like basic sphares but you have scaled them on one axis.

5. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

What version of Maya is that? I know the full version (that allows commercial use) is around $6,000.

I want that program. :-(

6. Jessy

Jessy

That's way more than "a few" polys. Even when you use NURBs, the shapes are converted to triangles for on-screen rendering. This is either a NURBs or SDS character, and neither one is going to be realistic for game performance at this point in time.

Check out the jagged edges. When rendering, the edges would be smooth, but this is just a screenshot. NURBs spheres from Blender:

Attached Files:

7. Jessy

Jessy

You can get a free version here, to see if you like it:
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7639525
    This is based on Maya Complete, however, a $1,995 package which doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

I am not a fan, myself, but you my be happy to know that the price of Maya Unlimited was recently dropped to only $4,995! :p

8. Alec

Alec

Definitely nurbs :p

9. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

actually subdiv spheres!!! hahaha... and i use Maya 8 or something. i don't think it's Pro tho.

10. Alec

Alec

dang :p a well how the hell could you afford Maya anywayz?

11. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

christmas... no offense to all you Jewish guys... but yeah, i get stuff like that for Christmas. i have been trying to rig the bear lately and i can't figure out how, even with a helluva good book. any tips? i know how to get the skeleton and all, but how do i attach it to the character itself to animate it?

P.S. i added a lead pipe kinda thing. a weapon for Mr. Evil Teddy Bear. :D :D
    P.S.S. has anyone seen the Mummy Massacre trailer? it's pretty sweet.

12. Jessy

Jessy

Thank you!

Hopefully you'll like the actual game, too!

13. tim

tim

It looks like you've created the bear using several objects. Try making said objects children of the joints they correspond to.

14. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

could you elaborate? I tried to make a skeleton that has shoulders, hands, head, neck, hip, thighs,chest, and legs. all joints. thanks for the tip tho. :)

15. tim

tim

In the outliner, make the head a child of the head joint, the arms children of the shoulder joints, etc. It's an easy way to set up segmented characters, but that also means that none of the geometry will be able to deform/"bend".

16. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

17. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

cool! i just animated it and it walks. i will be using it in a 3d chat/game where you can run around as a teddy bear and talk with people online. i'm excited about that! :D :D :D :D :D !!!!!! :D :twisted: