Search Unity

First real project, Top down shooter.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by mcarthur03, Sep 7, 2015.

?

What do you think of the idea?

1. Awesome!

2. Good

3. ok

4. meh

5. dont like it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mcarthur03

mcarthur03

I have finally begun work on my first real project in unity, a 2D top down shooter with VERY high recoil.

General gameplay:
    You play as a badly drawn player (only temporary) in a laboratory
    There will be LOTS of different weapons, the thing is you cant take them between levels.
    You can only hold 2 weapons at a time + grenades, enemies ALWAYS drop the weapon they are holding
    Awesome toggle able Slow-Motion
    The level system works in 5 chapters
    10-15 levels per chapter
    arena/survival mode (possible pvp/co-op)

Storyline:
    you play as a genetically modified human made specifically for the front line, you are at floor -5 of a weapons testing facility (each chapter is a floor)
    after the end of a level every now and then there will be a short dialogue (cant give away spoilers)

Currently I have a player that you can walk around a level, he turns to the mouse and can shoot with his basic pistol, I only started 8 hours ago after all. Please leave feedback!

Update:
    Here is some progress! after hard work and then realising I am terrible at sprite making, I turned to my friend who is fairly good at the job.
    the next day I received these (they appear much larger in game)
    Space Marine Idle.png Walking.png

Update 27/10/2015:
    got some new images of the main menu I have been painstakingly working on
    the actual game is also going good!
    Main Menue.png Level Select.png Chapter select.png
    would love feedback on the images

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  2. mcarthur03

mcarthur03

please, how so? I really need to know, even if it is negative

3. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

It doesn't sound too original but it could turn out to be fun if done properly (maybe add coop / multiplayer?). I think what ANMAN0079 meant is that it's a little bit too early to open a WIP thread, usually people post here when they have something to show (screenshots, videos).

4. mcarthur03

mcarthur03

I see what you mean

5. NickWu

NickWu

This might be a little bit too much.
    How long do you expect a player to stay in 1 level?
    Do you have enough variations in different levels to keep the experience fresh and fun and not repetitive?

I would suggest scope it down to 1-5 levels, get the basics done and post it up here or other communities for feedbacks.
    And I would not start worrying about the story before I actually get some promising game elements.

6. mcarthur03

mcarthur03

the story and levels are the last thing I intend to work on, I intend to work on the majority of the content so then making the levels is easy as I don't have to make things on the fly.

and now that I think about, that is quite a few levels.

7. Xenoun

Xenoun

First thing that comes to mind is if you can't take guns between levels do you start each level empty handed or with "Gun 1"?

Can't really comment more or provide any other feedback until you've got something to show in terms of screenshots etc. I can think of a number of points that need to be addressed but they all kind of depend on exactly what direction you take things.

8. mcarthur03

mcarthur03

start empty handed each level, there will tend to be a easy to get gun around the start of most levels though. 'most levels'

9. mcarthur03

mcarthur03

okay, :p