Search Unity

First Person Shooter - Zombie Pit

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by MMortal, Jan 25, 2013.

1. MMortal

MMortal

I am still learning all this stuff, but have been using Blender for a few years now. I saw how easy it was to use Unity with Blender so out of curiousity I tried it out and the rest is History. I did a few projects and followed some tutorials etc. Eventually I bought all the books I could find and stuff off the store. I got the "Ultimate FPS Shooter Camera" and really enjoyed the ease and quality of it. I can't get the Mace to work but haven't really tried that hard either. I guess in blender or the built in animation tool I would have to create an animation and play it through some script etc... any way!

The scene: Trapped in a pit with endless Ammo Endless Zombies (soldier character pack).

Here is a test/game I am working on and I would love people to play it and complain about every little thing they hate or dislike about the game. :rolleyes:

I would like some suggestions and complaints. Compliments are welcome but not as expected.

Zombie Pit - M:Mortal Games

UPDATE August 22, 2013
    Here is a webplayer version to try out and if you could give me some feedback that would be great!

MMortal Games - Zombie Pitt

I have just started back up with PRO and a webserver, so I can start development again. I am going to try and port this to Android by just adding the controls etc.

Standalone version link can be found on last page. -->

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. MMortal

MMortal

**Upcoming Changes**

02-01-2013
    DONE - Fix Headshot sounds.
    DONE - Nurf Revolver Force.
    DONE - Fix Corpse Collisions/Rigidbody.
    DONE - Fix Spawn so can't land on the head.
    (Too Small of Map!) - Was too easy with a massive explosion! - Add grenade and mêlée.
    DONE-Update Textures for Swat Soldier to make them look more like a zombie.
    (Working) - Add new arena and different weapons.
    (Working) - Display Unlock Graphic after each round so you know you can use a different weapon.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

"If you create a thread please provide a description of your work and some screenshots. Don't just link to a webplayer or download. Give us some hint of what we will be looking at."

4. MMortal

MMortal

Great Points thank you!

Keep 'em coming.

5. MMortal

MMortal

Added Screenshots and details.

6. SyntonStudios

SyntonStudios

Looking good so far.

7. cscotttaakan

cscotttaakan

Fun, my only problem is, why so many fricken shots to kill a zombie lol, other than that good work. Did you buy anything from the asset store?

8. MMortal

MMortal

Thank you for taking time to look it over and leave a comment! Is there anything you would like to see changed or added?

9. Goregaming

Goregaming

Amazing graphics...

10. MMortal

MMortal

Thank you for the comment and feedback! The thought process behind the crazy amount of shots to kill them is their armor. One is a SWAT member with full ballistic and he is a Zombie. The other is a US ARMY soldier again with full ballistic protection and he too is a zombie. I can tweak their health and add a ragdoll on destroy so they just don't blow up and disappear.

I did buy stuff off the market. I bought the Ultimate FPS Camera linked in the original post. I also bought a spawn pool system but didn't use it and wrote my own. I am working on an actual game using the test from this game that is like "Cabin Fever - Combat Arms" but you can move from building to building. There is gas in the street so you can't stay outside. I will get it up here once I get some issues worked out and add more to my map, but with that I am using A* Path System. With this I am just using ray casting and locking their rotation and location on the rigid body. I know that isn't what you asked but I say this because some of the things I bought (I don't want to call them out here) just didn't work right but they showed me a ton of great pointers and gave me great ideas.

The Player and weapons are: Ultimate FPS Camera.
    Zed are: Soldier Character package.
    Power Lines/Poles: Shanty Town - Power Lines v.1.0
    Walk Animations: Mixamo.
    Walls Dirt: Blender.
    Trees: Mix between Tree Creator and Blender. Textures were done in CrazyBump.

Player Health Script: mine.
    Enemy Health Script: mine.
    Spawn Script: mine.
    Countdown Script: Mine.
    Round # Texture: Mine.
    Win Script: Mine.
    Score Script: Mine.

11. MMortal

MMortal

Thank You for the comment and I would like to check out your game. Are there any links? Also since you've done this type of game do you have any pointers?

12. MMortal

MMortal

I added a flashlight to all the weapons. To enable use 'F' each weapon has a flashlight so you can leave them on and switch weapons and they will be on with the weapon when you bring it back.

13. MMortal

MMortal

***UPDATED***

Changed some of the stats. Now the Mag #2 (you unlock it in round 2) has twice the stopping power. It will take out a SWAT in two shots. The Soldier still takes 4 if you hit it right.

Changed the SPAWN settings to make the game more challenging. I also added a total at one time setting so it doesn't lag the web player.

I also added ragdolls so the zombie explodes (why because explosions are cool) and it leaves a ragdoll behind. As long as it has a Rigidbody it will disappear in a little while to keep the lag down as well.

Changed the scale a little bit as well to make the zombies more impressive as they get closer. And changed the damage range down a little it seemed they could do damage way too far away.

Check it out and let me know what you think and if you experience any problems.

Thank You!

14. MMortal

MMortal

**UPDATED**

I set up a Head Shot system that will instantly kill the zombie when a successful head shot is made. Since the zombie are wearing helmets I made it so you pretty much have to shoot them in the face. One shot one kill! Which kinda made it way to easy to clear a round but I guess that means I need to beef up the spawn amount, and possibly add more spawn locations.

Try it out (link in original post) and let me know what you think!

15. Archania

Archania

Not bad. Just need some indication of how many bullets you have left or something. Can't really count when you getting over run. Nice work, keep it up.

16. MMortal

MMortal

**UPDATE**

You ask and you shall receive! Ammo display is now live. I also added a Head Shot multiplier so it is easier to kill them. Still working on the settings there. I am trying to get it where It feels like the head shot is effective but not too effective. I will work on it more, but had a bug where the Head Shot would kill the wrong zombie. I figured it out, I was calling the Destroy than the code would look at the health. So once the object got destroyed it didn't know what I meant. So I wrote a quick if else statement and seems to be working better. Let me know what you think about the new system or if you would want the Head Shot to go back to One Shot kills.

I switched some other stuff around and want to change the health bar since I had to move it to the bottom to make room for the Tommy Gun Ammo HUD.

Right now the Easy and Medium slots are filled in the Spawn script I have a BMF I am getting ready for the Hard Slot. I think I am going to get rid of round 4 and just keep going with the same style of the first rounds. Maybe add a tutorial round in the beginning and than keep going until it is nothing but Hard spawning with revolving spawn points and a time multiplier to their speed and health.

17. MMortal

MMortal

I can't send you messages anymore (guess you blocked me...) but I said I used Ultimate FPS Camera in the first post at the top. I even linked to it there. Sorry you missed that and sorry you don't want to work with me ever again!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  18. MMortal

MMortal

**UPDATED**

I fixed the head shots and the Soldiers' health. I had to refresh the script in the inspector and than do that for every scene. Now he isn't so incredibly hard to hit. The head shots are a multiplier of the weapon's damage so the .45 is going to do more damage both regular hits and head shots.

I added a easy zombie that is a civilian so he is extremely easy to kill. I have the 'Smoker' from Left 4 Dead that I was going to throw in for fun but with people already getting mad for using Store Assets I figured that is flame this weenie doesn't need. (a campfire joke? Really? :rolleyes: )

Well hope somebody plays this and has some fun.

Next I want to add a grenade and change the health bar.

**PS. I added a revolving spawn animation to the spawn object so they don't spawn in the same place. **

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  19. Vallar

Vallar

That is pretty nice work done. I liked the gameplay. However when I tried to shoot the zombies right in the face (stood there getting hit waiting to get a clean headshot) it didn't get a headshot through and kill them from 1, 2 or 3 shots (the SWAT zombies). Also there is the normal "civilian" zombies they kind of glide waving their hands left and right in animation.

Nonetheless, I couldn't believe that I actually played it for a long time, it is really fun and addictive. Well done and great job!

20. MMortal

MMortal

Thank you very much for the compliments!

**HUGE UPDATE**
    I swear I fixed the head shots now and they are one-shot-one-kills so you know when you get a head shot. If you are not sure if you got a headshot from looking now you can hear it as well. I added a PlayOneShot that plays a Headshot.wav file. I got rid of the old round 4 and added a new round 4 with more zombies and a light mapped arena.

I updated the damage graphic so it doesn't block your view. I also added a Death Graphic instead of the white screen. My Brain is a little frazzeled so I can't even remember what I added or changed. Go PLAY

Let me know what you think, and thank you.

21. Vallar

Vallar

Aha, finally I am doing some headshots! W00t! I like one shot dead zombies.
    I liked the sound however it seems whenever you get a headshot two sounds are played -- I think, the one for the normal shot and the one indicating a headshot. In the 3rd level when you shoot with the Tommy gun and get a headshot it plays two different sounds so it is really apparent.

I found another thing, when I play and run around, if I came to the spawn point and one of these zombies spawn over me, that is it. I am dead, moving won't get them off me, trying to aim won't get them off me either and I tried aiming at them but was dead before I was able to shoot.

The collision detection of the corpses stops you in your path so you can't walk over them and if two are dead and the corpses lie in a certain manner you won't be able to move unless they are out of the way, for example:

0 = corpse
    x = You

If the layout like this and you try to move diagonally between them, you won't be able to do that. You have to back out and move around them as if they are trees.

When shooting with the revolver the zombie being shot is thrown back like 1-2 meters which makes me feel as if I am shooing a rocket at him.

Finally the headshot is far more accurate if you aimed at the neck, but I guess that is because of the collision being detected on the face.

Nonetheless, again, I found myself playing for quite sometime specially in the Tommy gun level (which is hardest so far) they spawn from everywhere it is hard to maneuver but nonetheless is quite a good challenge. I can see with some polish and a few things here and there this being Left 4 Dead kind of thing :D

22. MMortal

MMortal

Just having 'Left 4 Dead' and something I worked on mentioned in the same post is enough for me forever. I'm done I can retire now... Seriously though thank you so much for playing this and the amazing compliment. Gives me the drive to make it better. I will look at making the changes to fix your suggestions. I think I am going to add a "TO-DO" list on the second post from the top so I can keep track of suggestions and so other people can see the upcoming changes.

Being blocked by the corpses like that is weird I will have to look into that. You should be able to jump over them, and sometimes that will make you fall. You will get right back up automatically and usually only happens when your sprinting (Left Shift). But yeah I will see why it is blocking you.

The double Head shot sound might be the double cameras that Ultimate FPS Camera uses. I will look to see if they both have a audio listener attached. Or it might be my Head shot script which is most likely the culprit.

The zombie spawning on your head made me laugh because it happened to me as well. I made a mental note to do something about that so I am glad you reminded me. My mental notes usually don't work too good. I try to remember but hardly do. I think I would like to find a way for them to spawn so it isn't like they just appear. Like a sewer drain above the wall that they come out of or put some openings in the arena they come out of. Any suggestions?

The "Dirty Harry" does knock them way back and that is another thing I was going to change. I think I can change the mass of the zombie or just turn down the default force that it came with. Again that is part of Ultimate FPS Camera so it will be very easy to change.

Did you make it to round 4? If so what did you think of the darkness level? I lightmapped that round and didn't expect it to be so dark but I really liked the effect it gave, so I made the fog green and the point light orange to add to the creepy feel.

Again thank you so much for playing and giving me feedback!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  23. Vallar

Vallar

Nah, thank YOU for making the game and considering the feedback ;)

24. MMortal

MMortal

Ran a shore financially so lost my server blah blah blah.... but I'm back! Going to rebuild this after giving it a once over code wise. Learned a bunch since last update here. Anybody want to help out or anything let me know I will get you the project location. Going to check into building a git for this. Does anybody know if we can do that with unity projects? Thanks in advance hope to be back up and running soon.

Edited: Typo.

25. MMortal

MMortal

26. MMortal

MMortal

27. MMortal

MMortal

*UPDATED*

Check first post in the thread to see and click the link ^ to try the game out and tell me what you think.

28. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

29. MMortal

MMortal

Koyima those are amazing! I'm very interested in your project! Thank you for letting me know.

Here is my new link: http://www.mmortalgames.com/games/web/zp/

I am going to be starting a new project based off this one and add new maps, and new features. I am going to take a whole different take on the Zombie thing. No more virus related I'm going parasite! There is a parasite in South America that actually turns over 1000 species into actual zombies. The whole goal is to further infect other hosts! Check out zombie ants of south america! Creepy and the most likely to happen.

Also I want to make the game more of a survival game + zombies. Not just a FPS zombie game. So you will have to create creative baits like tie a team member up to a propane tank and wait for the horde to get them and blow the tank up! Etc.

No easy choices when it comes to 'Kill or be killed' lifestyle. I also want to highlight the other problems with a lawless structure, bandits, rapists, etc. I think that is some of the elements that make the show Walking Dead so successful is it isn't just a zombie show. It seems the conflict between people are actually more of the story then the walkers.

Wow coffee must have kicked in... lol

Last thing. I think your pack will work great also if you add the original models too so they can be used prior to being turned. So have them team members that are normal, and when they are infected you can just replace the model with the zed version.