Search Unity

First Person Mario

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by L5D7, Apr 28, 2012.

1. L5D7

L5D7

Hey All! I'm the lead developer at Sohcahtoa Studios and we've been hard at work on our first game, First Person Mario. The title is pretty self explanatory, it's the first two levels of Super Mario Bros. but from the first person perspective! More levels and features are in the works, so stay tuned. We eventually want to recreate the entire game with a few interesting twists but it is just a matter of feeding ourselves. If anyone had any ideas on how to fund this project, do let us know.

You can check it out here at our website, it is using the imbedded web player.

If you want to be kept up to date on this project you can like us on Facebook here and follow us on Twitter here.

Cheers!
    -M

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. AVividLight

AVividLight

Very nice job!

3. Tobias J.

Tobias J.

Very nice menus and intuitive controls.

There's a problem with the jumping, though. Not always, but most often when looking straight ahead and jumping I'll just keep going upwards to extreme heights. I can nearly jump the entire level in one go.

Quite hard to tell if you're under a box as well. Perhaps a side-view would help, but I guess that's kinda contrary to the whole concept.

Dunno if you can jump with anything but space, but maybe one of the mouse buttons could do that? A little cumbersome to move between the arrow keys and space to react fast and precisely.

Over-all it's looking good! :)

4. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

I kinda like the menu. :)

Can't play neither... when I jump, I reach the sky and I die.
    Agrees with the "it's hard to know you're under a block to hit it properly."

I think that's why Paper Mario used a third person camera for the 3D sections... you guys might want to rethink the way you play the game.

MQ

5. L5D7

L5D7

Yeah we've been having that bug quite often and we have no idea where it's coming from. We are using the normal First Person Controller in the Standard Assets with only slight modifications. The problem is we can't recreate it on our machines so we're just going to have to keep trying different changes until people stop complaining.

-M

6. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

I just played on my desktop computer and I don't have the super jump bug.
    Maybe due to not having a mouse attached on my laptop. Also it's on vista 32bit while my desktop is 7 64bit.

7. L5D7

L5D7

Yeah we've been having that bug quite often and we have no idea where it's coming from. We are using the normal First Person Controller in the Standard Assets with only slight modifications. The problem is we can't recreate it on our machines so we're just going to have to keep trying different changes until people stop complaining.

-M

8. MoonQuake

MoonQuake

I just played on my desktop computer and I don't have the super jump bug.
    Maybe due to not having a mouse attached on my laptop. Also it's on vista 32bit while my desktop is 7 64bit. :)

9. Duskling

Duskling

Sohcahtoa?

sin(),cos(),tan()?

Just wondering, because sin = o/h
    cos = a/h
    tan = o/a

Clever.

10. L5D7

L5D7

Nailed it! I loved the acronym so much I named a company after it.

11. JohnNShields

JohnNShields

Nice job so far! I'm sure everyones saying that, it's just so, well, Mario!

12. devMidgard

devMidgard

Looks nice, but If no one before created a First Perdon Mario is because;

1- You don't know when you are under a destructible block.
    2- It's hard to hit the enemies when jumping.

But if you like your work, still developing it, maybe you discover a method to solve these 2 main problems.

13. Ghost89

Ghost89

I think the idea is very noble. You wanted to make a testament to the original Mario game. Like I said, very noble, but like Moonquake said I think you guys are going about it all wrong. I'm not really a game developer or really anyone special, I'm just a guy who was bored on the internet, but I sincerely think that first person platformers just don't work. That's why they aren't made. I really think you guys could do better creatively. Cheers!

-Ghost

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012