Search Unity

First Person Camera weapons animation design questions

Discussion in 'Animation' started by McC1oud, Mar 10, 2019.

1. McC1oud

McC1oud

Hey, I have a few questions about designing animations for things like swords and guns in the first person camera.

The first is about motion bobbing while walking/running. Would you keyframe the bobbing of a weapon or do it in post through Unity? I'm using Skyrim as my design target for how the weapons animate but theirs are quite static and have not much blending going on at all. So I'm thinking to emulate the cruddyness of it by animating everything except weapon sway(weapon lag when you look in certain directions).

The other question is the production design for animation groups. Do you think it'd be a better design for a game with multiple different weapon meshes to just animate the weapons animation style of the forearms rather than each individual weapon. ie I have a two handed sword and a two handed mace. I just animate it once with the sword, remove the sword and then uses the arms motion to animate all weapons of that style in Unity.

I could animate each weapon individually if I was going all out on my animation to deal with things such as weapon weight. But that'll be much much later.