Search Unity

First person arms - a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Hi_ImTemmy, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Hi_ImTemmy

Hi_ImTemmy

Hello folks,

I want to add some first person arms into my game. These would be modeled and textured in Blender, and then play animations inline with the character controller.

There are a few very basic questions in my head (as I've never tackled something like this before):

- Is rigging still applicable? My understanding of rigging is it's something that happens to full character setups, but in my case I'm just after some arms which animate in front of the camera. Is rigging still necessary?

- Are there any resources out there I could use for animation help? For example if I was doing a full character I could look at something like Mixamo, but those are fully body animations. Can I still use those anims but only for the arms?

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Yes even if it's just the arms, rigging the arms with bones is still applicable.

I haven't used Mixamo yet so I have no idea. But if it is possible to export a full body rig from Mixamo, and be able to edit the rig in blender, by removing unnecessary bones but leaving just the arms rig, you will still have to learn, how to fix/rig the arms properly, even if it is just the arms rig you want to use.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Hi_ImTemmy likes this.
  3. Hi_ImTemmy

Hi_ImTemmy

BrandyStarbrite likes this.