Search Unity

First look at my racing game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by forestjohnson, Mar 2, 2006.

1. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Attached Files:

2. Emanuel

Emanuel

Wow. thats really awesome. I really like the feel of the car. (Now I too must be off :p)

3. Sora

Sora

You've made some great progress!

Sora.

4. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Nice feel on the car.
    the game froze when I was trying to quit. had to force quit.

also I got stuck on the tree and can't move the car, wheels not touching the ground i guess. see snapshot.

Ray

Attached Files:

5. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Looks pretty I'm downloading it now and wil give it a, err, spin as it were.

6. jeremyace

jeremyace

Looks very nice, I like the atmosphere in your first screenshot.

-Jeremy

7. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Great! The wheels look like they're slightly in the ground but it's not noticeable unless you're standing still and looking at them for it. When the car is moving it's a blast!

Perhaps a banner and a stripe of checkers on the ground as a start/finish line ala Mario Kart Double Dash?

But lovely and great!!!!

EDIT- I too have seen some collision problems too where the front wheel was through the side "wall" of the track and the car won't reverse out. I too had to force quit to quit it at this point.

8. Pavlov

Pavlov

Pretty sexy, what tools did you use, please share. I was getting 25 fps on my 32 meg video card which IMHO is ok.

9. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

If that was the frames per second counter in the upper right you're going to be pleased ... I'm getting between 150-200 on my G5 iMac with aGB of RAM and the 128MB video card.

10. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Looking good Yoggy!

30-45 FPS on my PB G4 1.33 12" with a GF 5200 @1024.

100-120 FPS on my PB G4 1.25 15" with ATI 9700 @1280!

Played so much better on the second PB, I was getting some weird car slippage on the 12" which seemed to disappear on the faster GFX card.

Keep up the good work :)

11. Martin

Martin

Hi,
    it looks great. It also works perfectly on a Intel iMac 2.0 GHz in Rosetta. I get approcimately 50-60 fps. So it is very playable. :D

By,
    Martin

12. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Really good work. Excellent use of background planes real trees. It really looks like you are rendering a huge forest. I get 150 fps.

13. pete

pete

been waiting for this since you changed your avatar! well done! i too could get stuck on trees - of course i spent a lot of time going off road on purpose ;) it's possible to get the camera behind the background plane too. even flipped the car over a couple times hehehe. but overall it's fun! the track and graphics are great (maybe a little too visible tiling on the track texture). i like the elevation changes. with some ai cars this could be a blast. felt kind of odd when you hit some of the vertical walls. maybe a particle effect (dust or stylized, whatever) would make it feel better. more like a crash. i was getting 60-75 fps on a 733mhz quicksilver, 1mb ram and a ati 9800.

[edit... hmmm... so the mouse pointer is visible during the game. when i moved it up as high as i could, suddenly i got ~150 fps. pulled it back down, 60-75 fps... what's up with that?]

14. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Wow, thanks for all the input!

Right now the wheels have a tendency to get stuck in walls... This is because the colliders have a compressable "Springy" physics materiel so the car doesn't rattle all over the place while going fast. I am testing methods to get around the rattling or prevent the wheels from moving into walls because of the collider.

I'm glad to see you people with real graphics cards are getting good FPS on it. My eMac gets about 6 - 12 in the editor and 16 - 30 in the standalone (1024 x 768) and 40 - 50 (640 x 480).

All the other stuff suggested like dust particles and a start line is on my list along with a bunch of other things (More maps, more environments, more cool scenery, a GUI and of course, ROCKET ENGINES!!! :D )

@Pavlov : I scrounged textures from the web and manipulated them with Photoshop and modeled and UV mapped everything in Blender

15. greenland

greenland

I get 30 FPS, which is the most I have ever gotten out of anything on this 1ghz powerbook. So for me 30 is amazing. I get like like six frames per sec out of Diablo II. heh.

This is neat. I'm surprised you havent put particle emitters in yet. Car should have exhaust and kick up dust.

16. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Cool!! Nice handeling improvments over the last build. I personaly would like more friction between the wheals and track but that could just be a personal preference. I now have more motivation to get that track done :p

Oh FPS I was getting was floating right around 500 at 1024x768 windowed. 4GB Ram and X800 XT GPU. Jeff

17. Sync1B

Sync1B

Man your comp is to nice jeff. Im jealous.

18. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Holy good god! Who said Macs weren't any good for gaming :wink: I was just trying out the Doom3 demo tonight on my piddly 12" PB G4 with all features on and it was totally playable. I think Macs get a horribly bad rap in regards to gaming performance.

BTW, anyone who hasn't checked out Doom3 yet should do so. I'm not a big FPS fan, but man is that game beautifully done! Really inspired me to kick my own work up a few notches.

19. SupaPuerco

SupaPuerco

looking fantastic, yoggy

20. louis

louis

Excellant.

My 2 ha'pennys worth would be:
    Slow the car down - it's too quick for me - I had to just keep tapping on the accelerator key - but then I guess that's my lack driving skills -
    Adding in some ambient jungle sound and then some engine sounds would take my mind off the endless keyboard tapping - I felt like I was in typing pool doing 50 words a minute ... rather than a woodpecker in a rain forest. :wink:

21. Scandalon

Scandalon

File's not there anymore... (I was going to test on my 400Mhz Sawtooth, because, you know, I'm poor. ;)

22. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Sorry I tend to take files down a little to fast..

At this point I am gazzilion updates away from that release. hopefully I will be able to release a new version soon.

23. Garen

Garen

Dang! I got here way too late and I really wanted to take it for a spin. It looks like so much fun. Oh well... Can you tell me how to add the frames per second counter. I couldn't find any info on it.
    Thanks

24. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

Here is the fps counter script I use:

Code (csharp):
    2. function Update ()
    3. {
    4.     fps = 1 / Time.smoothDeltaTime;
    6.     guiText.text = fps.ToString ("#,##0.0");
    7. }

25. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan