Search Unity

First impressions: I want to like it but, eh...

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Wahooney, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Wahooney

Wahooney

So far the Unity Hub has been hopeful but disappointing.
    1. Projects seem to show in a near random order: doesn't seem like it's according to recency or alphabetical name, but sometimes it appears to use both o_O I'd like it to be in the order of recent projects accessed myself.
    2. The downloading through the Hub is nearly 100% unreliable. It's by sheer luck when an installation is successfully downloaded and installed. Either it starts, gets some progress and stops completely, or it downloads completely and shows a Queued label, with no other downloads in progress and no option to push to the head of the queue. I'd say 1 in 10 attempts to install a version actually results in an installation. I'm in a country with less than stellar broadband, so that may contribute to the issue, then again the Download Assistant hasn't failed me once.
    3. Unity versions that have been removed from my machine are still showing and cannot be removed. Upon further fact checking, it seems that some have a "Remove from list" option others don't. Some versions were uninstalled manually (by running Uninstall.exe), others through the Hub, but the Remove options are present and missing in versions uninstalled from either method *\ o_O /*
    Overall, I like the Hub in theory, it's nice when it works, but there are too many bugs in it that stop it being a reliable tool.

2. elbows

elbows

Hope you dont mind if I use your thread to give my impressions too. I've been lucky and not run into the bugs much, so I can go beyond the theory and say what a lovely timesaver this has already been for me, its removed a number of tedious things from my life and made me happy.

I have seen the odd bug out of the corner of my eye so i can well imagine it being too frustrating at this stage for everyone to reap its benefits but I dont think its far off being very handy.

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  3. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Wahooney,

I'm sorry to hear your negative experience with the Hub. All your points are unfortunately shortcomings we haven't been able to address before the beta release. That said, we are working on it and you can expect a much more stable experience in the near future. Here is the status of each issue you reported:

1- The project list sorting was fixed in the latest release (0.14), although you may want to wait for a hotfix (0.14.1) to take care of a small edge case we missed. Your projects should be ordered by "last modified" date afterwards.

2- We have plans on fixing the download experience soon. We are aware of many unstable scenarios and will take care of them in future releases.

3- There are different options depending on whether you installed Unity through the Hub or located an already installed version. If you located a version already on your machine you will not be able to uninstall it through the Hub (only to remove it from the list of located installs). Moreover, if you uninstall a located install without removing it from the list it may stick around after the uninstallation. We try to detect these cases but at the same time we do not want to hog resources detecting installed versions on your machine all the time.

Please give us another chance in a few releases. We will do our best to stabilize the app as soon as possible.

Best regards,

4. Wahooney

Wahooney

Hey @AbrahamDUnity thanks for getting back to me, good to know these issues are on the radar and being dealt with. Like I said, I like the Hub in principal, so I'll definitely be back.

5. Wahooney

Wahooney

Hi @AbrahamDUnity,

I'm on 0.16.0 and I'm still getting downloads that won't complete.

Would it be possible to add some sort of state indicator to the installer? Like "Downloading", "Installing", "Failed", etc? I left a download going over night and it didn't get past ~95% and the only option is to cancel and start again. Some sort of method of bumping the install would be handy, so we can get it to carry on downloading when it sticks rather than stopping and starting the whole process again.

Cheers,

6. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Wahooney,

I'm sorry again for the download experience. We plan on adding Stop/Resume functionality fairly soon and more reliable downloading before the official release (even sooner), but right now there's no easy fix to this situation.

That said, Unity has been experiencing some server issues yesterday which may explain what happened to you with the "95% freeze". Let us know if you are able to download today and hang tight, we are working hard on fixing downloads.

Cheers,

7. Wahooney

Wahooney

I have found a work around by installing in batches, first the base Unity components then a few components at a time, etc.

Again, thanks for the quick response :D