Search Unity

First game : Top down engine or Game creator ?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Anteraa, May 25, 2019.

?

Which solution ?

1. Top down engine

2. Game creator

3. Spend 10 years of your life to code the foundations yourself

4. Stick to Game Creator Studio 2 and use simple squares instead of sprites

5. Playmaker

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Anteraa

Anteraa

Hello,

I started to create a 2D game with Game Creator Studio 2, but after 150 hours in, I feel it's too limited

I'm looking at Unity now, and for some advice

It's a personal game, a personal challenge to create a game, a mobile top down shooter. I'm realistic, it will be quite simple at the beginning. Maybe if it works one day I'll put it on the mobile stores :)

My background is :
    • 1 year of C++, Java
    • 15 years of web dev with PHP, Javascript, jQuery, HTML,CSS
    • 6 months of RPG Maker
    • 2 days of Buildbox game creator
    • 1 month of Game Creator Studio 2, GML code mode
    I'm very bad at orientation and 3D understanding, so I'm little bit afraid of Unity, but there are so much more ressources for 3D than 2D.

I'm tired of spending hundreds of hours working on the code of collisions, movements, physics ... and I'm bad at it. I'm creative, and would like to spend the most of my time on game concept, designing levels, skills, magic, enemies

That's why I think Unity has assets that can help bootstrap a game creation, like Top down engine or Game creator, and 3D models

The idea is to use a 2D floor, top view, and 3D characters, so I don't have to create hundreds of PNG sprite for animations
    Cartoon, maybe "low poly" (not "pixel art" !)

Top down engine : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/topdown-engine-89636
    Game creator : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/game-creator-89443
    Playmaker : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/visual-scripting/playmaker-368

Do you think it's a good idea to switch from Game Creator Studio 2 to Unity ?
    I only worked on physics in the former, and wrote game concepts on paper, I can apply them to another game creator software

Top down engine vs Game creator : which one do you think would suit best the needs explained here ? Or playmaker ?

Many thanks for your advice
    It's a big new adventure :)

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, switch to Unity

Anteraa, LaneFox and Joe-Censored like this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You're unlikely to find someone who has tried all of the packages you've mentioned to be able to actually answer your question. What I can say is Unity uses C#, but the languages you have experience in are fairly similar, so you should have an easy time learning C#.

Unity is a very complicated piece of software, which takes a good deal of time to get to the point you feel confidant with it, but it is worth it. You will spend more time learning Unity than you will learning C#.

Anteraa likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I thought since you have only spent 1 month in GameCreator that you should stick with it and learn more over time how to get the results you want. You have learnt the basics, why move to another engine completely?

Anteraa likes this.
  5. Anteraa

Anteraa

6. Anteraa

Anteraa

Okay, thanks for your answer
    It's strange that there is no famous widely used engine for Unity
    I feel it is worth it too, so I changed my plan : instead of making a simple game in 6 months, I will learn Unity first, for a few months/years

7. Anteraa

Anteraa

Hello, thanks for your input
    I think one month is nothing, when we need months/years to do a proper single project
    With Game Creator Studio I mainly learned game logic, and I find 80% the same in Unity with more options, more models, and 3D
    Creating game is the dream of my life for 20 years
    I will suffer for a few months learning Unity, but then I will be able to achieve wonderful things the next years