Search Unity

First Game - Endless Runner - Help?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SCoolidge, Sep 19, 2015.

1. SCoolidge

SCoolidge

First post, so forgive me if its not the correct subforum.

I was given a book on learning C# programming with Unity3d as a gift and have decided to give it a go.

I consider myself fairly green when it comes to programming/coding. Ive messed with java back in the day in a computer class I had; we built a few basic programs, but i wouldnt say i understood what i did or why they worked - i didnt care at the time. Ive also messed around with html, css and a touch of javascrpit in another class - more stuff i would say i didnt retain.

While Im still a novice in other areas, I easily have more experience with art, modeling and audio and i wouldnt feel too lost learning more advance skill sets in those arenas.

Anyway, fast forward many years and im finally interested in learning.

My question is related to endless runners, since im going to attempt one during my learning process. Prior to getting into the mechanics and watching a tutorial ive found, im just taking the time design/outline the functional and non functional features of the game that i would like (well that i can think of at the moment) and a question popped up in my mind about level design.

I was wondering if these maps such as in Temple Run are completely a random generation, built or a combo of both.

Say i would like different parts throughout the run to be built but i would also like most parts to be generated, is this a fairly simple process once you understand what you are doing?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. goat

goat

Well, after you complete the book on C# then the fastest and most practical way to implement an infinite runner is to buy Opsive's Infinite Runner Pro and you spend your newly acquired programming skills customizing that framework to your liking and creating original or sufficiently modified art work that's you've bought and that's to your taste to create your infinite runner game. Art creation wise at a minimum you need to learn to retexture free or purchased art work.

I also suggest before you work on your infinite runner but after you complete your C# programming book you work through at least 3 3D tutorial sections in Unity Learn.

Unity Learn
    http://unity3d.com/learn

Infinite Runner Pro
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/8949

You're not likely to get far though in creating an original and personalized take on an infinite runner game to your liking without doing the above minimal steps.

3. LMan

LMan

Check out this video on how to do chunk-based procedural level generation- My first game was an endless runner as well! It's really a great way to start.

If you're courageous, you can go without any asset store purchases. but it will take much longer- which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I recommend going through all the unity learn stuff, make sure you pay attention to the one on Object Pooling. You will probably be needing that.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. SCoolidge

SCoolidge

thanks for the input. i plan on going through the unity learn tutorials as well.

There is no rush for me to put something out there, this isnt a commercial build, just a personal project that i want to do to help me learn. So other than looking at a endless runner framework and learning from it and why it works, i dont want to use one. I'm more concerned about the learning process, but at the same time trying to have fun and enjoy that process while building something with c# in unity.

i also want to further develop my modeling/art/audio skills and would like to stay away from buying those kinds of assets as well. I have games in mind that i would like to do, but it may take years to acquire those skills. In my mind im looking at 2-3 years to acquire the skills to build a basic game A and then building off those skills to get to game b and so on.. i see the process as a never ending life long one.

if you guys have any other recommendations regarding learning materials/tutorials you think i would benefit from and want to post them here, it would be greatly appreciated.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Check out these guys. I believe it's the same approach to procedural generation that many runners take.

PVisser likes this.
  6. SCoolidge

SCoolidge

Thanks for that video boredmormon, i watched it. It clarified some of the questions i had going in my head, though it didnt fully answer what i was looking for. Thats okay though, I think im going to change my strategy towards learning after reading through some of the peoples advice here in this forum. I never really thought about Pong even though i played that as a kid. However, i think that may be a solid starting point, given the systems it does cover - even though its a smaller project.

The main reason i thought about a runner was to remake/revision a game i played when i was 4-5 in the 80s - Aztec Challenge. The game wasnt great, but the music stuck with me for years. Due to copyright, i just wanted to remake a game for personal use so i could remake and use the main audio track to that Game. It may be something a developer may want to look at to remake - idk.

So, my attention is going to shift to the almighty PONG after completing my book and going through unity learn, which may take me awhile. Im only roughly 70-80 pages in this book im using, and im kind of bored - i actually cant wait for pong. Im just bored at the moment because the book is covering stuff i thought i didnt retain from my prior experiences with JAVA. I guess that's a good thing though, it lets me hold off on the feeling of being completely lost for at least another chapter or two.

I see Pong and Breakout as probably my first two learning projects now, then idk.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'd strongly suggest starting to build stuff while you read the book. Stuff will stick better if you are actually using it.

JohnnyA likes this.