Search Unity

Games First Demo

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by macktruck, Jul 12, 2020.

1. macktruck

macktruck

Intro:
    So, this is my first game/demo. I have dabbled a little in Unity and I have a minor in Computer Science so I'm not totally green but have mostly stuck to application development. I have been using Blender as a modelling software for 10 years and am relatively efficient in non-organic modelling. Although I do have a vague idea on some programming/game theories, I'm unfamiliar in Unity's specific application of those concepts.

Game Concept:
    I'm a giant space geek and I wanted to convert one of my SpaceX starship concepts to a demo. The entire level is 4 stories tall and 30 ft wide with the exception of a possible skybox or small area's to generate projected textures. The field of view is very restricted with many walls occluding large portions of the level. Some wall and floor segments are meant to be removed/reconfigured in-game.

Key Features - Things I want to implement, but may need to find a compromise between
    • I want to make this a web game so people can simply play it for free without having to install anything.
    • I want it to run well on low end machines, but only if it doesn't compromise the visual quality to much
    • I want glossy shaders which may be resource intensive, but necessary for the art style
    Attached Files:
    I have attached two level design previews. One made in Fusion 360 and the other in Blender. These tools helped my develop the precision for the base models. The last picture is what appears in-game. (very ugly, yuck)

quaters.PNG preview_modified.png inGame.png

Feedback Requested:
    • Feedback on optimization -
      How many polys should I shoot for? Currently I am optimizing the meshes for 500 triangles with some of the larger objects at 1500 triangles. Should I make "large" meshes or smaller meshes to utilize not rendering objects when not visible. Do I need to manually disable rendering objects that are occluded?
    • Lighting: All together, there are approximately 288 lights in the concept art. Again, most of these are occluded most of the time. What is realistic? What are some ways to optimize this? Should I use baked or dynamic lighting with literally hundreds of moveable floor panels.
    • Model swapping: The pillars are a prime example of this. There are four configurations: No railings, left railing only, right railing only, both railings. Model swapping could reduce the pillar object count from 144 to 48.
    • Materials: I would like to use Unity generated materials as much as possible. UV material maps could be useful, but I don't know if or how I can use them.
    • Am I overthinking this? Should I simply just brute force everything?