Search Unity

First day setting up Zigfu, Kinect, and Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jarombra, Sep 23, 2015.

1. jarombra

jarombra

Hello Unity community, I am a student interested in using Zigfu + Unity + Kinect + JS to create real-time topology analyses of our laboratory's sediment table. Here is a picture of our set up right now (the Kinect is hanging over the table; disregard all that other crazy stuff):

As of now, we getting our topography readings by way of Firefly + Grasshopper + Rhino, but it's time to take up a notch with Unity as Rhino only goes so far.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any very basic but comprehensive tutorials of just getting one's feet wet with Zigfu, Kinnect, and Unity - a very introductory step by step tutorial on getting everything set up and running properly. I was looking at this tutorial here, but am getting hung up on a few steps and as lame as it may sound, am looking for something a bit more hand-holding such as a video. Not to mention that linked tutorial is from 2012 and I imagine some of these specific steps have changed slightly. A bit about my situation, I am proficient in object oriented JavaScript and decently familiar with Unity, but am using a windows machine and am not too familiar with windows 8 (I usually use my macbook). As of now, I just installed Unity Personal Edition on this PC, and the ZDK, but need some guidance at this point. Also, I'm pretty sure the Kinect SDK was already installed on this system if that is still a conflicting issue with Zigfu, I am not sure.

So I'm at the outset of what could be a fantastic exploration, but as of now I'm just looking for some help to simply get off the ground with integrating these exciting technologies. Thanks for your advice!

2. jhocking

jhocking

This is very similar to something I was thinking of doing (using a Kinect to watch a changing surface in real-time) so I'm curious what you get working.

Do you see anything when you run the web player samples on their website? Before you go any further, probably the first thing you want to do is confirm that you have all the hardware setup.