Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official First batch of 2D Features for Project Tiny 0.22 is now available

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by rustum, Feb 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello @GliderGuy,
    Project Tiny and 2D Entities are in an early stage of development, and there will be big changes coming in the future, both API wise, and workflow wise. So if you want to jump into full DOTS development with a more stable foundation, I would suggest you to wait for a while.

Schedule-wise, we are making good progress with 2D Entities and its coming versions, however, we do not want to promise any dates for the next public release.

Thank you for the show of interest in Project Tiny and 2D Entities, and if you do give the packages a go, let us know your thoughts!

NotaNaN and V_i_T like this.
  2. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

First of all, thanks for your reply, @Ted_Wikman!
    Whoa... Big Changes? And both to the API and the Workflows? Wow. I have to say—I was not expecting that.
    It has been a long road for Project Tiny (and DOTS in general), and at Tiny's original Inception things were very much different from where we are now.
    So, if you don't mind me asking... What exactly are these "big changes"?
    I know it's a question that likely cannot be answered at this current timestamp, but I'm just really curious. Project Tiny is essentially a preview of what the Pure DOTS Runtime and Editor will look like and behave, so I'm guessing whatever large changes you make will trickle down into the Hybrid DOTS sphere... At least one day, when Hybrid DOTS starts to make the jump into becoming Pure DOTS.
    Point is—if there is anything you could possibly share about these "big changes", I would love to know! (I understand that this is a big ask, though). :oops:

Yeah, I can understand not promising exact dates. (Whenever I do it I blow past my estimation and multiple levels of chaos ensue). But might you have a super rough date-idea? Such as "we are aiming for it to land in *insert favorite month here*"? That'd be incredible! But feel no need to share such information if such information is still not ready to be shared.
    (I've waited about 2.5 years for this. A couple more months (or hopefully not years) shouldn't be too much of a problem). :p

Thank you for taking the time to reply! Not easy for devs to take out patches of their time to talk to people on the forums.
    I will make sure I spew my thoughts upon you as soon as I have thoughts to spew. :D

3. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

It is great to hear your enthusiasm for Project Tiny and DOTS!

So I want to highlight that there might be big changes in both the API and the workflow, mainly so that you who are currently working with the API and workflow that is available in the public, know that this is all open to change if there is a need for it. This is also why we are trying to get as much feedback as possible from the current users, to make sure that we are moving in the right direction. Sorry for any confusion caused by my previous message.

As for timeline, as soon as we feel confident to share this, we will let you all know.

Looking forward to it!

NotaNaN likes this.
  4. atimurn

atimurn

Hello friends, any news on separating Project Tiny and 2D Entities?

5. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello @atimurn,
    Currently we have no new news or announcements regarding this

6. rustum

rustum

Unity Technologies

V_i_T and newguy123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.