Search Unity

Firing Projectile in Arc in 2D

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Matt-K, May 26, 2019.

1. Matt-K

Matt-K

Hey,

I have been messing around with trying to launch a projectile over a target. I couldn't figure out how to AddForce at the desired angle which led me to math and code I don't understand. X.X

I can AddForce Vector2.up and AddForce Vector2.right but I cannot figure out how to do this?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Matt-K likes this.
  3. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

What I do with rigidbody ballistic projectiles is this:

1) calculate the firing angle, rotate the 'Turret' gameobject to said rotation.
    2) Instantiate the projectile gameobject on the tip of the barrel, I have a particle system on the end called "muzzle" so i use that, you could also do "turret.position + (turret.forward * turret.barrelLength)". (ofcource with the same rotation as the turret)
    3) just add local force in positive Z to the projectile, add the same amount of force as you used for the calculation.

this link is also helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projectile_motion

I can give you a hand but in 3D if it applies, how are you approaching it?, you've just said "I'm messing with it".. - how?

Matt-K likes this.
  4. doctorpangloss

doctorpangloss

You can use my solution here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions...th-initial-impulse-in-unity/42794800#42794800

Matt-K likes this.
  5. Matt-K

Matt-K

Thanks for responding! This is all really great! I need an education in Classical Mechanics among other things lol. I really appreciate everyone's feedback!

6. Lethn

Lethn

I think @Kurt-Dekker's response was far too complicated and I think perhaps the OP needs to be a bit more specific with their question, if you're talking about a simple arc you could make an arc called a parabola arc and this will do the job in most cases.

Are you by any chance looking for something more complicated though? Like being able to make a parabolic arc that calculates for you where a rigidbody might hit?

Kurt-Dekker likes this.