Search Unity

Question Firebase vs Unity, Remote Config

Discussion in 'Unity Remote Config' started by L0tan, Feb 16, 2022.

1. L0tan

L0tan

Hi, I'm trying to decide which Remote Config Service use, if Unity default package Remote Config, or the Firebase one.

My backend database is currently runing on firebase, but I've never used both remotes configs and I'll like to listen some experience about each other, pros and cons, you know, to do not acumulate too much tech debt ^^

My hipothesis is to "keep things together", but if Unity default Remote Config is easier to implement, use, etc, maybe it's worth the try, what you think about it? Thanks!

PS: Should this thread be posted on General instead of here?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You're in the right location. You might consider trying both, and choosing the one you like the best. https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.remote-config@3.0/manual/CodeIntegration.html

3. mforrest44

mforrest44

Unity Technologies

If you could provide a bit more information about what you're hoping to use remote config for - we'd be more than happy to help point you in the right direction :)

4. mayanpotu500

mayanpotu500

I am in the same dilemma
    On the one hand, I use firebase for testing and all kinds of other things, on the other hand, Unity is probably simpler

5. tessellation

tessellation

We chose Unity RemoteConfig because Firebase only supports limited platforms (Android and iOS). Not PC/Mac or consoles or WebGL.

JastSent, L0tan and StevenStip-Unity like this.
  6. bab202

bab202

Recently I have this wondering when implement remote config for my mobile game (Android + iOS). I have test both Unity RemoteConfig and Firebase RemoteConfig for Unity. The function in 2 SDKs are worked as expect, but I see one important thing here is that the loading time of Firebase RemoteConfig is SIGNIFICANT faster than the Unity RemoteConfig. Note that my game only use very simple configs with some strings and numbers.

Unity RemoteConfig takes about 15-20 seconds to authenticate and fetch the values.
    Firebase RemoteConfig takes about 1-2 seconds to fetch the values.

I dont know what makes the loading time different, may be about network or about authentication. But base on my experiment result, I decide to stick with Firebase RemoteConfig.

I use Unity 2022.3.12, FirebaseRemoteConfig 11.6.0, UnityRemoteConfig 4.0.0

7. tessellation

tessellation

I'm not sure where you're located, but here in Washington state, it takes < 1 second for Unity Authentication and getting the remote configuration keys. This is using anonymous login. It could be that Firebase has more hosts around the world to provide the data, whereas Unity is just West Coast of the USA. I wouldn't think that would account for 20 seconds of delay, but something to consider. Perhaps a Unity expert could weight in about this?

I wonder if Firebase is doing some caching behind the scenes, or can you confirm that when the data changes it updates in 1 second also?

8. bab202

bab202

Yes, i think what matter here is server location. In this aspect, Firebase will be a good choice for better network performance around the world. I am very far away from US.